Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Southpaws

strick9

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am left handed and there are mainly 4 people who design and setup stages for our monthly 3-gun match. They are all left handed so when people are walking through the stages we hear a lot of this seems easier for left handers. Response. We would love to get more people volunteering to design and setup stages for the match.. Would you like to do one next month. I don't design it so it is more friendly to left handers but when I am running it in my head trying to think it up that is what I come up with.

I'm left handed, right eye dominant. I do shoot rifles (poorly) right handed. With the exception of thumb safeties I prefer right handed guns. Yup, I'm a weird.

All my firearms are setup for standard / right handed other then sling setups. I figured if I was not going to change all of them I didn't want to change any. I borrowed a left handed 1100 or 11/87 once. That just felt weird. The bolt handle was on the wrong side. :) My 1911s are setup for ambi safety since in IDPA you sometimes have to draw and shoot strong hand only.

Why do that? Just hold the gun in front of the right eye with your left hand. Works for a lot of people, including righty/left-eye guys like Mr. Enos and Dave Sevigny.

I've never understood that line of thinking...

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Not really a "lefty" or a "righty". I play pool left handed, hit a baseball right handed, shoot a rifle/shotgun left handed, shoot a pistol right handed, write right handed, play golf right handed, shoot a bow left handed, and I'm cross eye dominant! REALLY screwed up, huh? :rolleyes:

Why do that? Just hold the gun in front of the right eye with your left hand. Works for a lot of people, including righty/left-eye guys like Mr. Enos and Dave Sevigny.

I've never understood that line of thinking...

I thought Leatham and Koenig switched based on their eye domiance. Anyone know for sure?? Can't remember where I read it but I may be wrong.

Based on both ways being used by some top shooters it doesn't look like either is wrong.

Flyin

• 2 weeks later...
So ok you lefties... do the ejected cases hit you in the nose or what? Inquiring righties want to know!

So far I have not been hit in the head by brass on the things I have shot. This includes most common rifles ARs included.

In basic training shooting a M16 A2 I had a piece of brass make it down my right sleeve. That sucked I do usually catch the En-Bloc Clip from my Garand usually bounces off the top of my hat when it kicks out. I have found on semi-auto rimfire rifles (10/22) my right forearm will sometimes get sprayed with some fragments unburned powder is my guess.

Nothing to serious. I would imagine someone who has been right handed his whole life would find it distracting to have brass kicking out through their line of sight but I am so used to it when I shot a left handed Stag AR it felt wrong.

I'm left eye dominant and I shoot left handed. I've tried the shoot righty, sight with the left eye thing but it just feels wrong and is less accurate. I guess it's because I've always shot left handed.

...........another proud lefty. :cheers:

I have great fun with righties when I design stages with the option of left or right side start position. I will design it to shoot faster from R to L than L to R. Oh yea, and doors on my stages open to the right. :rolleyes: I mostly try to be neutral in my stage designs, but it is fun to make a stage that favors a right to left (aka: lefty) solution sometimes.

A squad of lefties would be pretty cool. I typically don't see more than 3-4 at any monthly match.

BTW - I never see any brass in my field of view, though I have gotten more cases down my shirt than any righty out there.

Edited by matt2ace

There are basically four people that design stages for our 3-Gun match. All of them shoot rifles left handed. :) If the stages have any tendency guess which they favor. We would be happy for others to volunteer to setup stages. For the most part if you are going lateral I opt for a start on either end. That is more to protect the shooter from crossing the 180.

So ok you lefties... do the ejected cases hit you in the nose or what? Inquiring righties want to know!

The AR's without the brass deflector would peg me in the cheek. I'd go home after shooting with 15-20 half moon burn marks on my right cheek. Took me a while to figure out what was causing it.

Thank you "lefties" for answering my query! I have often wondered about the brass dinging you guys and gals might endure if you were left handed. Many years ago when I was building 1911 types, I would make the ones I was keeping to drop the brass just to the right of my feet so I wouldn't have to hunt around for it. I had one friend, a lefty, who would occasionally shoot some of my guns when we went out to an "informal range" AKA an abandoned quarry, and who would always wear a broad brimmed hat when he shot with me. He did not usually wear one, so I asked him why he did it. He replied... "Because if I don't, your %&@#$%* gun will spit all the brass on my head!

o ok you lefties... do the ejected cases hit you in the nose or what? Inquiring righties want to know!

No, never had cases hit me in the head and I don't even notice AR cases being tossed out, but 1911 ejection gives me fits because the fired cases hit the top of my left thumb. leaving a perma-scar. I have angled the ejector to get them out more at an angle and that has relieved 98% of it, but the other 2% is still aggravating as heck. I think the only time it doesn't happen is with GI type ejection ports/ejectors. Shouldn't have sold the Spartan. Other guns-Smith, Glock, etc. give me no such trouble.

Edited by sheepdog