Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wasps

outerlimits

we have rattle snakes, wasps, etc they like to come to matches. saturday morning i'm setting up a stage, and before getting some walls, i empty the obligatory can of wasp spray into the rack of walls. wait a few, then start dragging walls out. lesson one-wait a bit longer, and empty another can into them. got stung twice on weak wrist-tiny sting, but shoot the match. then, spend whole weekend icing my now popeye looking forearm and left hand. benedryl did nothing, IB nothing, ice only made my hand numb. this morning it's discolored and my watch band almost fits.

next time i'm pouring a gallon of gas on the walls and burning them in place. :angry: :angry:

Ouch!

I got nailed by similar bandits at the same range during match set up when I decided to move a bunch of barrels.

Hope you feel better soon. It's the itching that bugs me the most.

Later

David

we have rattle snakes, wasps, etc they like to come to matches. saturday morning i'm setting up a stage, and before getting some walls, i empty the obligatory can of wasp spray into the rack of walls. wait a few, then start dragging walls out. lesson one-wait a bit longer, and empty another can into them. got stung twice on weak wrist-tiny sting, but shoot the match. then, spend whole weekend icing my now popeye looking forearm and left hand. benedryl did nothing, IB nothing, ice only made my hand numb. this morning it's discolored and my watch band almost fits.

next time i'm pouring a gallon of gas on the walls and burning them in place. :angry: :angry:

SDPS had been putting out a hand-washing station near their trailer. The station was kept outside the trailer, and one match I went to set it up and ...you guessed it! Bit by a wasp on the left hand while trying to put up the paper towel roll. It hurt, but there was almost no swelling and I shot really well that day. I haven't done any further testing on the effect of wasp bites and shooting quality!

We had a hive under our safety table at the last match that I had to run, and no one had anything that would instantly kill the little $&%ers. So I found another use for Rem Oil and my size 13 feet. To make a long story short the wasps lost. :cheers:

Long time ago we had a wasp nest in the ground under some shrubs at the foot of our front staircase. Had to walk by the suckers every time we went in and out. They acted like they owned the place. Angry little bastiches hit us nearly every time we walked by. Not long afterward, I poured petrol down the hole (quickly followed by a lit match) and they were stone gone. Such fun. :devil:

That is fun! A long time ago I poured gas down a Gopher hole and lit it up, it burned for about 30 minutes, I ran in the house and told my kids that we had a volcano starting in the back yard and they believed me. :roflol: Kids are so easy to pull pranks on. :cheers:

A long time ago I poured gas down a Gopher hole and lit it up, it burned for about 30 minutes

My twin brother (as an all-knowing teen-ager) did that and ended burning down a barn on my Grand-parents farm. Luckily is was an old barn, not really used for much other than a shelter for a few head of cattle from time to time. He ran off and hid in the woods until well past sun down....trying to wait Grand-pa out.

Me...I was innocent in the whole affair.

Except for I made the whole thing up just now. "Kids are so easy to pull pranks on." Adults too. :devil:

Butch got stung TWICE setting up forthe match AND won it w/ a sore hand/wrist, there are a bunch of nests out there at Sac valley, I did in ours at yolo w/ a paintcan and a lighter hehehe lil disconcerting to those assembled, but effective on the lil buggers....

Kyle,

There is more than one of you :surprise:

Anyways, have you guys never heard of Black Powder.

Once and forever.

We blew an underground wasp nest up. It was a hoot. We really dug a hole that day.

The was a downside or three.

Police, Police and more Police.

It turns out that we may have used a little more than was neccessary. But I have never been accused of that before, so I did not see where they were coming from. The wasps were dead, job done.

Careful you may have a really bad reaction next time. It's cumulative. The only thing better than Raid is more Raid. In NH when I was a kid, we had a yellow jacket nest in the back of our house on the common trail and my Dad said, "get rid of it"-he was allergic to wasps. I watched the nest a while, then poured gasoline in it, then threw a match from about 6 feet. Not only did the nest go poof, but the trail under me collapsed, and I had to dodge flying bees as I leaped to a rock. The nest was 8 feet long, 3 feet deep, and 3 feet wide, with a "Y" branch. Learned to stay farther away when I toss matches on gas. It was very satisfying.

I don't know about the wasps you have on the mainland there, but if you guys use brake cleaner (not the flammable type) for gun cleaning try it on your next wasp nest encounter. Here in Hawai'i it's instant death on just about anything except honeybees, which you don't want to kill anyway.