Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My first scope

sgrc1

I just shot my Benny Hill AR15 today for the very first time (first time shooting any AR15 style rifle btw) and I loved it - it shot very flat and felt super smooth, to be honest I thought that a .223 will have more recoil but I guess that is the beauty of this type of rifle...

Anyway's I dont have a scope and am trying to decide what to get as my first scope - Benny recommended the Burris 1-4x XTR as a competition scope (about $695 - I think).. but I am looking to start with something way cheaper as I wont be shooting in 3 gun for now (have yet to find a 3 gun club around the Woodlands, TX!) AND just want something to take to the range and enjoy/start practicing for future matches...

So, what do I need in a 3 gun scope? and what is the best entry level scope that would work for just regular range shooting and the eventual 3 gun match while I decide to upgrade to the Burris... also is the Burris the scope to have for competition or are there others I should be looking at for when I make the big purchase but around the same price range....

Thanks all for your input!, S

Buy a weaver 1-3 for a starter scope. It's my favorite bargin scope.

I have only seen the first gen burris so others will have to speak to the second gen.

Out to 400 yards or so I like the meopta in that price range.

Edited by caspian guy

thanks where do I buy either the Millet or the weaver? and how much can I expect to pay for these?... also I suppose I will need rings and a mini-riser or not?

but I am looking to start with something way cheaper as I wont be shooting in 3 gun for now (have yet to find a 3 gun club around the Woodlands, TX!) AND just want something to take to the range and enjoy/start practicing for future matches...

There is a 3 gun match the 2nd Saturday of every month west of Houston at the Impact Zone. It's put on the by the IDPA club based there http://www.whidpa.com/

Thunder Tactical IDPA right by the Woodlands puts on a carbine match the 1st Sunday of every month http://www.tts-idpa.net/

Several other USPSA clubs in the area hold 3 gun matches a few times a year. They are announced on the Texas South Section web site.

Millett DMS-1 just put one on my rifle and shot one match so far and enjoy it.

+1 on the Millet, biggest bang for your buck but eventually you'll want

something more and a Burris XTR will cover that as well !!

so I checked on midway, I see Millet DMS Rifle scope 30mm 1-4x 24mm illuminated circle dot reticle matte product #186660 for $209.00 - is this the right one?, it didn't have the -1 mentioned in the original post....

That is the one. Very nice scope. I have the Meopta and a friend has the Millet. I love my Meopta but sometimes think it might not be worth the extra 400 dollars. You'll like the Millet.

so I checked on midway, I see Millet DMS Rifle scope 30mm 1-4x 24mm illuminated circle dot reticle matte product #186660 for $209.00 - is this the right one?, it didn't have the -1 mentioned in the original post....

YES

The thing that sucks about the Millet is that you can't turn the scope off at anything but 0 on the illumination scale, with the Meopta you can decide what level of illumination the scope should be in when it is off, there is an 'off' setting between each illumination setting. So far that is my only complaint with the DMS 1 scope. Time will tell if there are more, but it is a very nice scope for $200.