Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun life

Alan Adamson

So, let's assume an Open 9mm Major gun.

What is an expected life expectancy for such a gun? Do they run til they fall apart (not talking about dependabliity, more to life expectancy)? What would be considered "like new round count" vs. "high round count"?

Mostly just educational for me, but obviously it would be applicable to purchasing a used gun.

Thanks in advance,

Alan

Not an expert but off the top of my head, life expectancy will depend on:

1. quality/fit/finish/skill of the smith

2. pressure: faster v. slower powders used. I would suspect that using a faster (relative to 9 major) will cause faster wear/failure compared to powders on the slower end of the spectrum.

3. powder temp and whether one lets the pistol cool down adequately between drills/practice/etc.

4. maintenance: oil, lube, cleaning, etc.

One of the smiths I've talked to recently (who's product is first rate) has had several slides come back cracked due to what he felt was the shooters using a powder that is very popular but too fast.

Yep, I totally understand all the above... So let me futher clarify, and I know this dilutes the primary concern.

But what is a reasonal round count for a like new vs high round count gun that has been well cared for and not totally abused?

How about that? :)

Alan

Thats really open ended. I'm not sure what kind of answer to give. I personally know one super comp open gun that is not pristine looking, but has 30,000 + rounds through it, is absolutely flawless and scary accurate from a bench.

I've seen open guns with less than 2k rounds have lots of issues. I think you've got to go case by case.

Big help, eh?

Assuming the gun is built right (and it's not some crazy combination), the shooter uses good ammo and gives it a reasonable amount of care, I'd say most should go to 100K without major problems. Like new, to me, is something like 5K or so...that's just getting broken in really.

My ancient Open gun had easily 75K on it at the old power factor (175) when the slide cracked. It was extremely light and had all sorts of metal carved out of it internally. I was always running 180+PF so that's pretty toasty. The other thing is how the person shoots it. If you run big stick after big stick through the gun without letting it cool you'll fry the barrel much, much quicker than if you give it even a little time to cool. R,

I have beaten the sheet out of my 9 major gun, it has 60K HARD miles on it with all of them being in the white, and is just starting to show a decrease in accuracy. It is still very tight, runs great, and not many could tell it is losing accuracy. It takes a bench rest for me to see it. If I cleaned the rust off it and made it look new again you wouldn't be able to tell it had 60K rounds through it. I have beaten this gun like I borrowed it from someone I hate, and it is still a great gun. It will last two more barrels at least. It was fit right and tight the first time, has never lacked for lubrication, and from there it is all gravy.

I've got two nearly identical Dawson guns. One has about 80,000 rounds on it and you can tell the barrel is getting worn-- lots more flash and accuracy is down some. The other cracked the slide at about 50-60K and it's barrel will need to be replaced within another 10K or so. I'd say a well-fit and well-built Open gun in a normal caliber with a normal load should go ~50K before a major rebuild. Once I saw one of Jarrett's guns at a gunsmith for a new slide.. he said it had at least 150K on it!

I've got two nearly identical Dawson guns. One has about 80,000 rounds on it and you can tell the barrel is getting worn-- lots more flash and accuracy is down some.

Have you considered trying a bullet that's .001" larger? I know some barrel manufacturers recommend that....sort of "shoot .355 until it's loses some and then go with .356". Problem might be there aren't as many .356" bullets out there now. R,

One of the smiths I've talked to recently (who's product is first rate) has had several slides come back cracked due to what he felt was the shooters using a powder that is very popular but too fast.

What powder is "too fast"? HS6 okay?

Jack

What powder is "too fast"? HS6 okay?

Jack

Are you shooting Super/SC or 9?

HS6 is one of the fastest powders you'll see used to make Major in Super/SC....it's right there with 7625. Lots of options for slower powders, N350, 3N37, 3N38, WSF, 4756, Longshot, AA7, HS7, N105 and True Blue all come to mind. Granted, burn rate charts don't show everything and a powder that's slower on the burn rate chart might actually be faster in use (and produce higher pressures), but it's a good ballpark reference. R,

I've got a ton on my primary open gun. My backup is an OLD gun but still runs perfect. The primary has somewhere around 20k on it. The backup has probably double that. Both shoot under an inch...at 50. Gotta love Rusty Kidd!

Rich

I've got two nearly identical Dawson guns. One has about 80,000 rounds on it and you can tell the barrel is getting worn-- lots more flash and accuracy is down some.

Have you considered trying a bullet that's .001" larger? I know some barrel manufacturers recommend that....sort of "shoot .355 until it's loses some and then go with .356". Problem might be there aren't as many .356" bullets out there now. R,

I have some .356's somewhere but don't plan to mess with it. I've got a raft of 125gr Hornady HAPs (.3555" or so they say) that I use, and when the barrel goes completely (I use it for steel mostly anyway), I'll get a new one put in. The cost amortized over shots is negligible compared to the ammo cost.

G man- You'd put 7625 faster powder than AA7 or WSF? I'm loading 7.8 - 8.0 gr of 7625 with a 125 gr head, what would you consider a comperable load using AA7 or WSF for 38 Super?

Yep, 7625 is definitely faster than AA7 or WSF. Just going off the burn rate chart, 7625 is #40, WSF is #47 and AA7 is #53.

I haven't seen much/any info for Super and WSF, but for AA7 I'd try 10.0gr and work up a bit at a time....somewhere between there and maybe 10.8gr should do it.