Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

C-More Micro Red Dot

Chuck Anderson

Thanks.

The old OKO design is screw-in with an o-ring. In spite of that, covers popping off are still very common on modified div guns. I wonder if the cmore will fare better.

Chuck (shooters) and I were discussing that very thing and from looking at one I have reservations.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried one of these STS scopes?

I would place it on a single sided mount (NOT mounted to the slide itself). I'm thinking it would be short enough to not get in the way of ejection.

However, I'm wondering what are the negatives of going from a Slideride to the STS?

If anyone has tried this scope, please post your comments. Any pictures of your gun would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

Darren

33907aL.jpg

What is your goal of moving to the smaller sight, weight savings?

Goal is to be able to shoot real light load without the cases hitting the underside of a full sized dot. If there is nothing above the port to hit then the 99.99% operating gun just went to 100%.

Plus it does happen to be the brightest micro dot I've seen yet.

Dave

But Dave, your mount is still over the top of the ejection port.

The pics I posted were before I cut back the mount a bit more on the mill. I will be running the STS on my open XD-p at the Steel Challenge. If you are there, you ( or anyone else) are more than welcome to to give it a few runs to see what you think.

As an aside... a nice side mount only for the XD would be a really cool thing to see on the market :-)

I also checked the dot color and intensity vs. a Aimpoint micro.... the Aimpoint is about $250.00 brighter and nicer.

Dave

Has anyone tried one of these STS scopes?

I would place it on a single sided mount (NOT mounted to the slide itself). I'm thinking it would be short enough to not get in the way of ejection.

However, I'm wondering what are the negatives of going from a Slideride to the STS?

If anyone has tried this scope, please post your comments. Any pictures of your gun would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

Darren

33907aL.jpg

There are two of of that ordered the STS's. I have mine frame mounted (1911 single side Allchin mount and XD on a Carver mount) and my buddy here has his slide mounted on an open Glock. His shuts off intermittently during a COF, and mine has never missed a beat. Whether that is a problem with recoil impuse and the slide or merely a bad sight.... who knows. If you have a slide ride c-more now, I think my STS mounted on the Allchin mount has the dot lower and closer to the top of the slide than the slide ride. My buddy has a new STS coming from C-more and we'll both be running them @ the Challenge this weekend.

Dave

Of course....I did a bunch of searches for "C-More STS" and didn't come up with jack, but just now found this thread:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=88493

Are those the same sights? If so, I'll merged the threads.

edit: I merged the threads and I'll tweak the title to make it easier to search.

• 1 month later...

I just got my 7moa STS in the mail today, gonna take it to Johnny Lim and work up a mount for my steel gun tomorrow. I'll post some pics once its mounted.

My first impressions are pretty good, its the most solid looking micro sight I've seen, the window does seem a bit small, but I won't know if its a factor until I get a chance to put some rounds down range.

Looks like the two sights, JPoint and C-more would be the same size once you get a base on the JPoint. But the glass is definetely larger on the JPoint. If you project the red dot on a blue/green screen, it would be less red than against a clear glass. But hey, I still shoot a Bushnell Holosight, lol! And I really don't see changing it. I LIKE IT! 'fraid I couldn't find the dot on that tiny screen. Might be real interesting on my Masters precision gun though. What size is the dot? Can you change the dot size?

I have had a chance to put a few rounds down range with my STS, the dot is definitely crisper and brighter compared to the Jpoint, even a Jpoint with 2 batteries. The screen is smaller but I did not have trouble finding or tracking the dot. The only time I noticed the blue/green screen was when I was sighting in. It seems like it is a well built sight

Audifin: Quinn Engineering is building a mount for the STS

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=91426

Has anyone had problems seeing the 7MOA dot (especially if you are use to the standard C-More) when the sun is over your shoulder (at like 9am/10am in the morning or in the late afternoon)? I love that the STS is out of the way of the ejecting cartridge, love the way it looks, love that it's lower to the bore, etc, etc, but the dot washes out in the sun too much for me. .....or maybe it's just me and I need to get use to it?

Darren

PS: ...and yes I know ALL dots wash out. However, it appears my 8MOA standard C-More doesn't wash out near as much as the STS. ...Maybe I could machine a sun shade into the mount! :)

Edited by ExtremeShot

So I wasn't going to post this yet because I am not finished with it.

First of all, i had a company make this weaver mount adapter to fit my existing C more holes. My original intention was to mount the the scope as low as possible. Well, after I mounted it this way and started shooting it, well so far I have to say I like it. The dot itself is virtually at the same height as my cmore was. Therefore, I have not had to make any modifications to the way I shoot in order to use this.

I tried all the other sights and this one (for me) is the only option to switch from a C-more. Now that being said, here are the pro's and con's as I see them.

Pro

battery life is 1 year in automatic mode and batteries are cheap

The dot is very crisp. It is actually a dot.

Under the brightest of sun, the dot is very bright

The unit is rugged

I cannot make this scope lose it's zero. I have banged it ALOT and it is still on zero.

Turn on dot at the beginning of the match, leave on all day, then turn off at the end.

The dot is VERY easy to pickup.

The unit is completely waterproof. Even submersible to 66 feet. ( I hope I don't have to shoot that stage!) (but I am willing!)

Cons

The switch doesn't thrill me but it is so minor it is almost not even worth writing about.

Overall, if switching from a c-more, this was my best option.

Now I have amount coming to lower the unit, so I am not committed to the height. I will play with both but, I feel like I will prefer the existing mount because it is at the same height as my C-more.

Oh yes, I forgot the best thing about this scope. It has "click" 1 moa adjustments for elevation and windage without the need to lock it down like C-more. Here's the benefit, zero your gun at whatever distance you want, and when you walk up to that long target stage, refer to your cheat sheet (determined earlier) and with a few clicks, you are adjusted for those tarts. When done, click back.

That doesn't look like the C-More STS that I have.

Here are the scope mounts that I made for my gun. The one on the left was the first prototype. The one on the right is an improvement. ...as you can see, it's not finished...still need to drill the holes for the frame and for the scope.

On the prototype, I used keenserts so I wouldn't have to use an adapter. I just screw the scope directly into the mount and I don't have to worry about stripping out the aluminum. I also wanted to use all 5 frame holes, but didn't like how the scope mount had the little finger to reach the 5th hole. The mount on the right is a little longer to make it look more symmetrical. Both mounts place the back of the scope slightly in front of the back of the ejection port.

I've got a picture around here somewhere of the mount and scope on a gun...I'll see if I can find it.

Darren

STS1.jpg

STS3.jpg

STS4.jpg

edited to strikethrough "the back of

Edited by ExtremeShot

Here are the scope mounts that I made for my gun. The one on the left was the first prototype. The one on the right is an improvement. ...as you can see, it's not finished...still need to drill the holes for the frame and for the scope.

On the prototype, I used keenserts so I wouldn't have to use an adapter. I just screw the scope directly into the mount and I don't have to worry about stripping out the aluminum. I also wanted to use all 5 frame holes, but didn't like how the scope mount had the little finger to reach the 5th hole. The mount on the right is a little longer to make it look more symmetrical. Both mounts place the back of the scope slightly in front of the back of the ejection port.

I've got a picture around here somewhere of the mount and scope on a gun...I'll see if I can find it.

Darren

STS1.jpg

STS3.jpg

STS4.jpg

edited to strikethrough "the back of

^^^ Nice work!