Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting through port at angle

I may be shooting a match this weekend where the rifle has one position such that the "port will only allow rifle to be fired at 90 degree angle to ground, either left or right." The distance looks to be about 100 yards. Any hints on shooting with a 90 degree cant? I am shooting optics. The targets are steel, so there will be some feedback. ;)

I searched and there is not much on shooting a cant on purpose.

Lee

side-prone. yep, need to practice that. remember gravity as far as your bullet drop goes. optics can be a bit tricky to figure out. if yer right handed, and can, turn yer rifle counterclockwise (ejection port up), and get something under the forearm, like your left fist. sounds like there isn't room for a bipod, or this would work with a stud on the left side of yer handguard.

Thanks for the replies.

Zero at 50 yds, about 2" high at 100, scope 3" above bore. The description says LaRue targets, although I have not shot there before so I am not sure how exact the descriptions will be. Right handed, I expect to roll the gun counter-clockwise. I am thinking the bullet will just drop, no apparent rise as would normally occur.

I just realized I can even practice a little tomorrow. Might even wait until early afternoon to get the full impact of the expected 101 degrees or so. :(

Lee

Had a lot of practice on one stage at the recent Steel City Tactical Carbine Championship that was full of ports at different angles, all shielded with barrels to play with your mind and make you switch around once you entered the port. A small adjustment should be all it takes. Here's how I try to remember it:

SCOPE ROTATION

Rotate left (ejection port up), aim slightly right : 2 o'clock hold

Rotate right (ejection port down), aim slightly left : 10 o'clock hold

Test with your zero but it should be just a minor adjustment of your aim point: less than two inches for me.

On a decent size steel target, you'll hardly notice at 100 yds IMO.

Curtis

Edited: because I hate typos!

Edited by BayouSlide

I shot the same Steel City match Bayou refered to. When you roll your rifle 90 degrees, the bullet will move toward your scope and drop at the same time (bullet normally rises to the scope), so you will have to practice and find where to hold. If the target is big enough it won't make much difference. The little bitty targets at Steel City that were up close bit me on the sight offset, I shot right beside them both.

Hurley

Dang it was hot today. Having now actually shot the thing - LaRue targets at about 100 yds. Rotate close to 90 degrees, mag pointing right. I held just off the right shoulder and hit them pretty good.

Yesterday, I did practice some on a USPSA target, pretty much the same, hold on the right shoulder to get on paper. I will probably work on this more. The biggest problem was getting a good sight picture AND clearing my hearing protection.

Thanks all.

Lee

Shot the same match as Lee. Held far right shoulder and got my hits. We had to do this prone a tthe LaRue match also. Shot a 12x12 plate to see where to aim at 200yds.

I actually went out and practiced the 100 yd bonus with a shotgun slug.

Fun match, but hot as hell!! I had a 2.5 hr drive home afterwards.

Shot the same aforementioned match, actually won that particular stage. Right handed shooter, held rifle mag to right and ejection port up. Ran the steel 1 for 1, this was waaay easier than the LaRue match. This port was about 18" off the ground, the Larue port was actually on the ground.

I strongly suggest that each of you who shoot 3-gun get to your rifle range and practice this particular style of shooting, it is becoming more and more popular at upcoming matches. Lay that stick on its side and pattern it at 100 yards, you will be suprised initailly but you will thank yourself when you see it at a match!

Edited by ken hebert

• 5 weeks later...
The book "Grren Eyes and Black Rifles" explains it pretty well. The ten and two is right, depending on your zero and target size, you may or may not need to hold off some at 100.

Mike

took a class with Kyle Lamb in NC where he spent a lot of time shooting from unusual/improvised positions. this included a lot of extreme cant:

"junkyard prone" - laying the rifle flat on its side on top of cover (trunk/hood of vehicle),

"brokeback mountain prone" - hard to describe but basically looks like you're kneeling in a supplicatn position with your forhead flat on the ground shooting downrange from a rollover prone position.

rule of thumb was aiming "high on the magazine side", i.e. when rolling rifle left (ejection port up), then aim high right (i.e. the side the magazine is sticking out on". Most shooters found that when rolling the rifle 90 degrees, their POI would shift approx 6" - 8" down and to the side. A 2:00 or 10:00 hold worked for me.

/thread drift/

after running through a number of drills, he had his adjunct instructors strip the bolt carrier out of his rifle and then take up some of these positions from behind a vehicle for cover. we went 100 yards downrange to see what the shooter profile looked like. The AI was a big guy, probably 6'3" and 215lbs. it was pretty terrifying to see how small this guy could get from some of these positions. crouching behind the wheel of an old toyata cresida shooting brokeback prone around the front tire, he was basically invisible

/end thread drift/

-jared

edit to add: i'm using a 50 yd zero shooting 55gr ball @ 2950 fps, changes in ammunition or zero might impact poi under cant, but i wouldn't think by much at 100 yds...

Edited by jaredr