Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommendation of sights for my Kimber?

jkrispies

I've been shooting my Kimber for a few years now and it's treated me well, but I think I've outgrown its fixed night sights and want something that I can pick up faster in competition, especially on the front. What I'm thinking of is some plain (ie., no dots or fiber optics) on the rear and a fiber optic front with as thin a blade as possible. Anybody recommend something that'll fit my dovetails? I'm fine with "mixing and matching" different manufacturers between front and back as long as they'll work together. Thanks for your help, J

Dawson precision adjustable rear and one of their f/o front. the fronts come in various width with or without f/o. the adjustable rear comes with or without f/o too.

I went with the adjustable rear in case i decide to use different loads that have differing POA/POI.

heinie makes Slant-Pros for kimbers, check them out.

I checked out their website, and I'm actually kinda intrigued by their 50+ line (and my eyesight is fine!!!). The only thing is that I want some adjustable sights, even if they're only elevation adjustable, and I don't think the Heinie's offer that.

Right now, I'm leaning extremely hard to the Dawsons, unless there's something else out there that I should know about.

I have Dawson's on my G17 and really like them, but they look kinda clunky-- which isn't a huge complaint, I guess.

Does anybody have an opinion of Novak Extreme Duty adjustable sights?

I had a set of the Novak adjustables on a M&P Pro. They had a screw adjustable elevation but windage adjustment required drifting the sight. I have had a number of guns with the DP adjustable sights which are screw adjustable for both elevation and windage. I certainly prefer the DP sights and they have proven to be quite reliable.

If your shooting outdoors during the day, you are really just chasing rainbows, Take a sharpie and black out the dots on the rear sight and run with it, no amout of fiber, tritium, expressing, adjusting will really do anything for your score.

Bo-Mar's out of business, but there are plenty of clones. I prefer the Heinie sight picture, as the deep notch makes the front sight look like a post rather than a box, and there's lots of space around it.

Dawson precision adjustable rear and one of their f/o front. the fronts come in various width with or without f/o. the adjustable rear comes with or without f/o too.

I went with the adjustable rear in case i decide to use different loads that have differing POA/POI.

+1

Sorry I was not more specific in my earlier post. I know that the company BoMar is no longer with us but the BoMar sight cut which is used on many of our guns is still very much alive and that is what I was referring to. The Kimber sight cut for fixed sights can be made into a BoMar cut without much trouble. There are many companies making sights for that cut, you just have to pick one. I’m not a fan of Henine sights, I like the top of my rear sight to slope towards me like a BoMar, STI, SVI, and Ed Brown sight does. But what matters is what works for you, try as many as you can then pick what you like.

I realy like my Kimbers fixed sights, (custom 2) in fact I really shoot that gun very accuratly, it seems more so then my bomars,novacks,etc.

we are all different on what are eyes see, so try several different ones , before you make the change.

I had Ken Hallock ( now retired) mill my Kimber for Bo-Mars.

Kimber has about half the work done, compared to a stock GI dovetail.

Any decent 1911 smith should be able to do the same.

STI, Caspian, SVI, ect. all make Bo-Mar clones.

IMGP4264.jpg