Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee FCD and EGW Undersize Die

Mistral404

I am new to 38SC. I use a Lee FCD for my .40 S+W.

Do I need one for my 38SC?

How about an EGW Undersize Die?

EGW undersize die IS LEE die.

I can never get the bulge out of my 38super with EGW under size die or Lee die?

I switched to TJ brass instead..

The EGW undersized die is a Lee custom die that is .001" under the stock Lee carbide die. You can get the undersized die from Lee too but you have to call them up or email them and tell them you want the undersized one. Well you used to be able too but Lee is really swamped these days.

But it's an (under)sizing die.

The FCD (Factory Crimp Die) is a crimp die, which sizes the loaded round again juuust before it's spit out of your machine.

The Lee dies work well but not on a progressive machine like the 1050. I say this from experience and after talking to the Dillon engineer. If you have got the dollars I got a Case Pro 100 that is one sweet machine...better then Lee Dies because it does more....FWIW

The Lee dies work well but not on a progressive machine like the 1050. I say this from experience and after talking to the Dillon engineer. If you have got the dollars I got a Case Pro 100 that is one sweet machine...better then Lee Dies because it does more....FWIW

The only issue that I've had with the U-Die, whether in a 650 or a 1050, is that the force required to stroke the handle is significantly more and tends to slow me down a bit. Otherwise, it seems to work fine.

I haven't had any alignment problems caused by the smaller (practically "none") radius at the die mouth.

Edited by Braxton1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have the U-Die. I was thrilled when I bought my first set of dies with the factory crimp which took out the bulge but on my 1050's there is a noticable difference in the down stroke. I could put up with it but when my Case Pro came in there was no need to. When I toured the Dillon plant I really was impressed w/ the engineer. When I brought up dies and case bulge and mentioned the Lee dies he complimented the dies and just casualy mentioned he would not use them on a progressive as they were not designed for it...He did not at all come across as "Dillon vs Lee"....just sounded like typical "engineer" talk, ie above my head! That comment and the way he said it just gave me a gut call that I wouldn't use them on a progressive unless I had to...

If you have not used or seen a Case Pro work, it is something else. Tightens the primer pockets and rounds off edges...I thank Sweeny for reccomending it every time I use it...

Hope all is well in Georgia!

B in Va...