Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sabre Defence gill brake

Banker Bob

In a Front Site article referenced elsewhere there is a comment to the effect that the blast of this this brake could be felt on the shooter's face. Since some of us will flinch with little or no excuse and since I am in the process of putting together a Tac AR, -(would like to buy a complete upper) any feedback I could have on this issue would be appreciated!

BB

Thanks, folks

Anyone out there that likes it??

bb

If someone said they liked it would that make you feel better?

On this forum you are gonna get what COMPETITORS really think.

I wrote the FS article and as much as I like Sabre AR's (I use them in competition) I do not run the Sabre brake.

If you are wanting a Sabre carbine then by all means buy it and enjoy it as the quality AR that they are, if the "Gill brake" feels

good to you, great you are good to go. If not, pick another and see how that fits you.

Don't let the appendage on the end of the barrel stop you from owning a fine carbine.

I have nearly completed the "feel" testing phase of the next AR comp article and you have MANY very good brakes to choose from!

Good luck to you.

Patrick

I test different brakes all the time <_<

The Gill looks trick, but is fairly worthless. It redirects gas quite well, as others have noticed, right back into your eyeballs, and that is about all it does.

In my (also worthless) opinion, the JP Tank is the best, followed by the F2 and the second generation BennyBrake, and then a bunch of other brakes of adequate to dubious utility :)

Alex

In my (also worthless) opinion, the JP Tank is the best, followed by the F2 and the second generation BennyBrake, and then a bunch of other brakes of adequate to dubious utility :)

Alex

I have the JP Tank on my new AR. Love it. Zero blast or gas back at the shooter and VERY efficient.

Alex

I have the JP Tank on my new AR. Love it. Zero blast or gas back at the shooter and VERY efficient.

I got one on mine also, nothing comes back to you, but the people around you usually have a few unkind words :roflol:

I have the gill brake on a Sabre Defense upper that I was lucky enough to win at BRM3G (excellent match that Sabre Defense was a sponsor of - THANKS!).

Great shooting rifle, the brake does tend to send blast back into the glasses and makes the hat brim move.

A gill brake can be made into an extreamly efficient brake with just a small amount of milling and reshaping it looks like this when done.

(note contact Dreadnaught Industries for the actuall work to make one look like this)

post-1176-1245508647_thumb.jpg

Thanks, all.

I think I understand the mission:

1. find an upper for sale or order;

2. buy it and shoot it, realizing that I may swap out the brake or follow Kurt's suggestion to have it rebuilt (I have retained all comments so I don't have to ask again for info for changing);

3. appreciate that if that is the only part I want to enhance, replace, or throw away, I am way better than my average on new a firearm purchase!

BB

(love this forum!!!-Patrick's first line took a good belly laugh before I could get to his real comment! given that AR parts are still in short supply and my summer is pretty full, I will wait for his article before a brake decision is made)

Edited by Banker Bob