Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Virginnia Count

Singlestack

Ok, I have a problem with VC stages.

It seems I almost always blow it with an extra shot.

I approach them thinking "NO EXTRA SHOTS", but they usually find a way in.

I am so used to making up a bad called shot that I can't stop myself on VC stages.

Suggestions?

Visual Patience and stop breaking bad shots.

Learn to make every shot count all the time.

Making up shots in a comstock COF takes more time than making the 1st shot count.

If you regularly "make up shots" when shooting a COF you are doing something wrong.

Virginia count is a good test of real skill, because you can't throw "hopers."

It is that simple.

I watched another forum member torch off an extra round on the Mini-Mart classifier last month. Turned a solid M class run into a tanked stage. Bummer. When you do your mental program, just visualize the required shots and execute the program as planned.

Thanks for the tough love guys. I knew all of the suggestions, but it really helped to hear them.

I rarely have to make up a shot on a comstock stage. But just as soon as I can't..... :wacko:

We are shooting 99-46 Close Quarter Standards this weekend at the Ga State match. Every other stage is a run-n-gun freestyle blast 'em up.

Guess which one worries me.

I also just found out I will be shooting with the "super squad" for my first time. If I can keep from embarrassing myself, it should be very educational. I had not even considered the possibility of a DQ until I got this news.....

Every other big match I have shot, I have always pushed myself hard with the intent of winning my class. Well, I have found out that this mindset might be ok for "C" class, but it does not work for "B" class.

I am going to shoot this match one shot at a time without any regard to time. I know I am fast enough to shoot with "A" class shooters. I am going to trust my speed and shoot points. I know I can find and shoot the center of the target as fast as I can find and shoot the target. I am very guilty of shooting brown at times. As a "C" shooter, I used to whup up on the "B" folks with regularity. Since I made B (about 3 months ago) I have only shot one good match. It was last weekend and I lost first place B by 1 shot. Yep, you guessed it, an extra shot on a VC stage. The only thing I did different was have fun. I was not trying to win. In fact, I expected to get spanked due to a short layoff, but it was the best match I have shot to date.

Well, thanks for letting me ramble all of this out of my head. I feel better. I mean, who else could I tell this stuff to that would understand exactly what I'm talking about? B)

SS, this occurred to me today watching somebody run dry on the last shot of a string in 99-09 (VC). Assuming you are good at slide-lock reloads, only load 6 or 8 (or whatever) in the mags and don't top off. :D

FWIW, I yanked the first shot bad on the first string and I was kicking myself for it, not being able to make it up.

Well....,

I shot the classifier ok...

As for the rest of the match... oh well :(

I shot a 59% match :wacko:

SS, this occurred to me today watching somebody run dry on the last shot of a string in 99-09 (VC). Assuming you are good at slide-lock reloads, only load 6 or 8 (or whatever) in the mags and don't top off.

Good idea, except my slide lock is dissabled.

Hey John, good shooting with you this weekend! Nice to meet some of the people from the forums... Delman says hi too.

You certainly can run with the A guys. You times were way ahead of most of us B shooters, and when your consistancy gets their, watch out Master Class!

If we could only get our brains out of the way. How about you GM's and M's--- yall got Schizophrenia or what? :D

How about visualizing the stage better? I'll bet a lot of people who visualize the field courses don't do so with the speed shoots, standards, and classifiers. Run it through your head in slow motion and see the sights in the A zone...