Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another New Shotgun-Open Saiga

DMAC

Well 3 gun is addicting. I've always wanted an open handgun, and I was lucky enough to find a Brazos ProSX (I haven't shot it much and what I have done ain't pretty). So I figured, I'm only a shotgun away from being able to shoot open so I had Jack Travers build me and open Saiga. IT IS SWEEEEET. He was great to work with and now I just need some time to get it to the range. I still have yet to have any problems/malfunctions with my FN SLP so I'm not going to sell any of my Tactical Class goodies yet!

post-16280-1244772092_thumb.jpg

post-16280-1244772115_thumb.jpg

Well 3 gun is addicting. I've always wanted an open handgun, and I was lucky enough to find a Brazos ProSX (I haven't shot it much and what I have done ain't pretty). So I figured, I'm only a shotgun away from being able to shoot open so I had Jack Travers build me and open Saiga. IT IS SWEEEEET. He was great to work with and now I just need some time to get it to the range. I still have yet to have any problems/malfunctions with my FN SLP so I'm not going to sell any of my Tactical Class goodies yet!

That's a really nice looking setup.

What kind of magwell is it and does it work well? Do you have to alter your mags to make it work? Is that one of the new Millenium Magwells?

What kind of magwell is it and does it work well? Do you have to alter your mags to make it work? Is that one of the new Millenium Magwells?

It's a brand spankin' new Millenium Magwell. Jack did some light dremel work to some Surfefire mags and they fit great and are drop free (with the exception of the one clear magwells that isn't drop free).

Great looking gun. I really like the scope mount.

Greg

I do like the mount for your Red Dot....safety operated by your right index finger? Any advantage of the screw in choke over the polychoke?

The safety and mag release are operated by the right index finger without changing hand position on the grip. I'm not a choke expert, but there probably isn't any significant different between the polychoke and screw in chokes. Mine is fitted for Remchokes and I'll probably have the modified choke in for 80-90% of most stages.

I was adjusting the stock last night and I can set this shotgun to an almost exact feel/LOP as my JP AR with a Hogue grip and VTAC Handguard.

Edited by DMAC

• 1 month later...
Where did you get that handguard?

+100000000

By the way beautiful S-12 man, a few differences aside, but that's pretty much what i consider My GOAL Saiga right there... Mine will look like that.

Edited by lvjeffro

Where did you get that handguard?

+100000000

By the way beautiful S-12 man, a few differences aside, but that's pretty much what i consider My GOAL Saiga right there... Mine will look like that.

Just joined at Jack's urging.

I make the hand guards. I can be purchased through Jack or @ Fuglystick@hotmail.com. They are custom made from aluminum and have a welded base plate. They are then powder coated. The slots can accept rails as well for a tri-rail set up. I have several versions to choose from.

The standard ones are the length of a stock hand guard and the the guard can be made to any length. The ones Jack uses are about 10in long.

post-20215-1250279967_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I love it. Can you itemize what was done to it and the total cost. I would love to have a set up just like that.

Pat

I love it. Can you itemize what was done to it and the total cost. I would love to have a set up just like that.

Pat

PM sent.

Get out your checkbook!

DMAC, I'm a little late to this party, but I too like JT's optic mount.

Is it up high enough to allow removal of the upper receiver cover without having to remove the optic mounting bracket?

--Gene

Good question. I've never removed the upper receiver cover so I have no clue. There is about 2mm of clearance between the bottom of the optic mounting bracket and the top of the receiver. I hope this is helpful. You may just want to call Jack to find out.

Is it up high enough to allow removal of the upper receiver cover without having to remove the optic mounting bracket?

--Gene

Good question. I've never removed the upper receiver cover so I have no clue. There is about 2mm of clearance between the bottom of the optic mounting bracket and the top of the receiver. I hope this is helpful. You may just want to call Jack to find out.

DMAC,

This just begs the question, How do you clean the gas system without taking the Bolt/bolt carrier out? I clean my Saiga by taking the gas cap off the front and of course the piston out but I also have to remove the operating system too! Perhaps you are shooting x-tra clean ammo? I want to know your secret!

I am using the RanRTargets system with the Burris FastFire II and it is so easy to just replace the mount and dot where the original rear sight is/was. No clearance problems and is very rugged.

Scott

Edited by busyhawk

--Gene

It is a 2 piece mount. You can remove the top section that sits in a track and it will retain your zero. It is the best designed mount for a red dot.

--Gene

DMAC,

This just begs the question, How do you clean the gas system without taking the Bolt/bolt carrier out? I clean my Saiga by taking the gas cap off the front and of course the piston out but I also have to remove the operating system too! Perhaps you are shooting x-tra clean ammo? I want to know your secret!

I am using the RanRTargets system with the Burris FastFire II and it is so easy to just replace the mount and dot where the original rear sight is/was. No clearance problems and is very rugged.

Scott

I hate to say this, but.......I dont' know how to best clean the Saiga and I haven't cleaned it yet.

I've only shot about 50 rounds through it and I've gone back to shooting my FN SLP since I am going to shoot in tactical at Fort Benning and I REALLY NEED more practice with my reloads.

If you have any links to YouTube, etc. about recommended cleaning/lubrication for the Saiga, I would appreciate it. Needless to say, it didn't come with a detailed instruction manual like you get when you purchase a rifle from JP!

Hey DMAC, are you going to walnut grove sat? I am thinking about it but I may end up at Spartanburg since the weather is looking bad..sorry about the thread drift.

Steve

I have plans to go, but if there is a downpour, I'll probably stay home. I REALLY need to shoot some before Fort Benning and I have a new rifle that I would like put a few rounds through as well.

Is there a 3 gun competition in Spartanburg on Saturday?

Damien

I hate to say this, but.......I dont' know how to best clean the Saiga and I haven't cleaned it yet.

I've only shot about 50 rounds through it and I've gone back to shooting my FN SLP since I am going to shoot in tactical at Fort Benning and I REALLY NEED more practice with my reloads.

If you have any links to YouTube, etc. about recommended cleaning/lubrication for the Saiga, I would appreciate it. Needless to say, it didn't come with a detailed instruction manual like you get when you purchase a rifle from JP!

I've only had mine a few months, but it runs like crazy! Pop out the piston and make sure that it is clean and the piston bore area is clean. Take out the bolt and clean it as well as all the junk that builds up in that area. I use a bore snake on the barrel and a brush on the piston bore. If you have a comp, clean it out every few hundred round as they build up alot of gunk. Lube her up and go shooting!

Doug

The Gas Block is probably the most problem area for guns not running right.

Unscrew the gas adjustment knob all the way out and the push the piston(puck) out the front from the back with a cleaning rod.

You can then scrub all the carbon crude out of the gas block and make sure you use some type of pick to unclog the gas ports going down into the barrel. They become clogged easily with lead and plastic.

SGM has a clean out kit that we sell that makes it easy to do.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/se...-shotgun/Detail

post-13304-1253834553_thumb.jpg