Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where to get USPSA training on the East Coast?

I live near Philadelphia which makes most of the North East corridor within driving distance. Basically I can get from my home up to NH, or down to NC, or west to OH in one (long) day.

There is a very good site for defensive pistol training in WV that I have been to and which has taught me a lot, but this year I'm looking for something specifically geared toward IPSC/USPSA shooting.

I can see that there are a number of classes going on but they all seem to be far enough off that I would have to drive 2 days or fly, and neither option appeals to me for several reasons. Does anyone know of any classes coming up this year that might be within my driving area?

Edited by Graham Smith

We are trying to get a Max and Travis class in NC October 17 and 18. Just trying to pin down a range.

More info to come if you are interested send a PM to SPERMAN. He is the one getting the class together.

What are you looking to work on?

Good question. Tell me everything I'm doing wrong (long list) and give me suggestions on improvement. :roflol:

I guess if I were trying to nail it down, I'd have to say the three things that need most work are:

Controlling my rate of fire (shooting too fast and making too many mistakes)

Transitions (which pretty much goes with the above)

Shooting on the move

Essentially I need to smooth out my shooting. I think I'm way to "jerky" in everything I do and I know that I can do better.

If I can get some guidance on the things I'm doing wrong, I can do a better job practicing. It's no sense practicing if I'm practicing doing the wrong things.

I'm taking the 2 day Max Michel Jr. Advanced Competitive Pistol Class at Sig Sauer in New Hamphshire on 7/18-7-19. It's expensive but the options in our area for quality training are limited. I live in Connecticut. Go to www.sigarms.com and checkout the class, it's limited to only 10 participants so I expect to do a lot of shooting and get a lot of instruction. Sig has some deals with some local hotels also for around $75 a night. As you can see, it's totally geared toward USPSA/IPSC.

From the SIG Website:

Fundamentals (draws, reloads, transitions)

Trigger Control

Recoil Management

Target Awareness

Target Transitions

Movement (Entering & Exiting Positions)

Shooting On the Move

Strong / Weak Hand Shooting

Barricades

Man-On-Man Steel Competition

Good Luck.

Dave Olhasso is over near Philly. I have talked to him in the past about some one on one classes, and he is willing. I know he has done some group classes in the past, but I am not sure if he has anything up coming. You could google his web site and email him and see if he has anythign up coming.

Graham...my wife and I have been in contact with TJ to hold a class. Would you be interested? Dates and location to follow. (probably Virginia)

If he isn't I is.

Gotcha. :cheers:

He is a very busy man but we are trying to firm something up. Perhaps we will have some idea after this weekends match.

Graham...my wife and I have been in contact with TJ to hold a class. Would you be interested? Dates and location to follow. (probably Virginia)

I would most likely be interested. I'm going to check out Mike DiGennaro as they have a tentatively scheduled class in Oct that is only a short drive which would save me a lot on hotels.

I will keep you guys informed as I learn dates, location and time.

Me too. I'll probably see him this weekend at the VA-MD Sectional as well. I'll see you this weekend as well Steve. I couldn't shoot the morning Squad with you and your lovely wife but I'll see you as you head out.

Angel

Edited by A_Med

I will keep you guys informed as I learn dates, location and time.

Me too. I'll probably see him this weekend at the VA-MD Sectional as well. I'll see you this weekend as well Steve. I couldn't shoot the morning Squad with you and your lovely wife but I'll see you as you head out.

Angel

Thanks for the compliment Angel I will pass to Cindi. We will look for you. Wish you could have shot with us...we all plan on winning everything! :roflol:

I would most likely be interested. I'm going to check out Mike DiGennaro as they have a tentatively scheduled class in Oct that is only a short drive which would save me a lot on hotels.

Where is the class in October? I didn't see it listed on Mike's site.

Where is the class in October? I didn't see it listed on Mike's site.

Sorry, brain fart. I went back to look and there's a class tentatively scheduled in Elmer, NJ (USANA) but has no dates at this point. For some reason my brain substituted October for ___________ .

Edited by Graham Smith

• 4 weeks later...

I took a group class with Mike D in the spring or summer of 97. I was a wild C class limited shooter that could not slow down at all. Within a year to a year and a half I was A class open and taking High A at Area matches. In less than 2 years from taking the class I was a Master. (Da** I feel old now)

I highly recommend Mike. Even in the group setting he spends a lot of time one on one and helps to straighten out any problems he sees. There were about 10 people in the class and they all went up at least one class and were much more consistant and confident.

Taking a class from anyone will help you as long as you apply what you learn. If they show you how to calm down and focus and the buzzer goes off in a match and you just go into hose mode anyway, then you just wasted any money spent.

I took a group class with Mike D in the spring or summer of 97.

Thanks. I had a chance to talk with Mike at the OBCATS match last month (he was running a charity car smash there). Enjoyed the chat but he has no openings right now and the class in Elmer, NJ is on hold because of problems at their range.

• 10 months later...

I live near Philadelphia which makes most of the North East corridor within driving distance. Basically I can get from my home up to NH, or down to NC, or west to OH in one (long) day.

There is a very good site for defensive pistol training in WV that I have been to and which has taught me a lot, but this year I'm looking for something specifically geared toward IPSC/USPSA shooting.

I can see that there are a number of classes going on but they all seem to be far enough off that I would have to drive 2 days or fly, and neither option appeals to me for several reasons. Does anyone know of any classes coming up this year that might be within my driving area?

Take the kids, in cool weather, to Disney World and get Manny Bragg to show you how to shoot IPSC. Great teacher.

Say hi to Mickey and Manny at the same time:))

Jack

Take the kids, in cool weather, to Disney World and get Manny Bragg to show you how to shoot IPSC. Great teacher.

Say hi to Mickey and Manny at the same time:))

Jack

That would be mixing business and pleasure and I dont know of many families that like when dad mixes the two. better suggestion would be to bribe the family this way no one complains when you take off to IPSC training for 3 days. Disney is always a good bribe.

I know I'd be taking a plane ride home alone if I said "ok say hi to Mickey, I'm going to the range for the day."

-Steve