Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can't Hit A Plate Leaving A Position

ErikW

I don't know if this is a tip or a question, maybe just an observation.

I was doing a movement drill with a Limited gun: draw to a plate, move to a box and shoot two targets, reload moving past a fault line and shoot two more targets.

I couldn't hit that plate to save my life. I haven't shot iron sights for a while, and wanting to leave the start position ASAP didn't help, but man I sucked. I was hitting it less than half of my shots.

Something had to change, so I decided to put two shots on the plate before leaving. I never missed it from then on.

Lynn, I should build a stage that makes you violate all the general rules. :P The second target in my middle array was 1/3 of an A zone with a no-shoot. Boy it was fun leaving the box on that one.

TIS, I don't know if that was a proper fix. I mean, what would I do in a match? This plate was set not to fall. (I had a nice split time on it!) I guess making myself take a second shot made me call and follow through on the first one.

I see a lot of people have trouble with 1-2 steel arrays, or the last steel in an array, which is a classic.

I was shooting an all steel match a few years ago. One stage was five bowling pin siluettes spread across the bay. I missed the second from the left each of the first four runs. On the last run I planned two shots at it. Nailed it with the first shot, and the second was right where the pin used to be.

The spectators laughed, but that run had a respectable time. :rolleyes:

edit---

In hindsight, I was almost certainly leaving the pin before finishing the shot. Much haste to get to the last one.

Erik,

I believe the solution you found (shoot twice the plate) is something worth some speculation.

The fact is (at least I suppose) that knowing you had to have a really stable platform to shoot twice the plate just slowed you down that 1/10 of a second (or maybe less) that had you hitting the plate all the time; while when shooting it only once you were kind of "rushing the shot", not to waste time to start moving.

Just my .02

I had to shoot a plate last weekend that was the "last" target in an array before moving. I did not want to. I tried to game it another way. I could not come up with a better way. So, I decided to shoot the plate flat footed. I mean no leaning, nothing until the plate was down. I smoked the stage (for me anyway, I was only 1 10th off of cpty1's time). I think I learned something. Need to chew on it some more.

Erik,

I know I am guilty of the same. For me, it is simple patience. I need to finish the thing I am doing right now before I can move on.

Kinda like the football receiver who start looking to run up-field...just before he completes the process of catching the ball. He has got to catch the ball first.

All this tai chi with dry fire excercises with small targets made me aware of one critical thing when it comes to target acquisition while moving. I present the gun to target while preparing to move by leaning out. I realized that once I get a sight pic, my eye and brain is already in the "get moving" phase and I'm already "looking" at the next position. This messes my shot big time since the sight pic I had is no longer the same when I pulled the trigger because I was already moving during the lag time (sight pic to trigger pull).

Bad habit that I'm working to break. Come to think of it, we're not suppose to loose focus on our current shot, which we normally don't when were static, shooting while moving should be no different, right?

:wacko:

EW,

Flex has got the answer. Focus on the task at hand and then move on to the next one. We shot the classifier Times Two this weekend and I shot it in L10. I haven't shot an iron sighted gun in 2+ years and on top of that a single stack (i.e. that I had to reload between the two boxes).

So, the sequence was draw and engage targets 1-3 (get my lean going on shot 5). Spot my entrance into Box B. Confirm it and then reload. Enter the box, engage targets 6-4. Complete.

It felt smooth and it was pretty darn fast. Each move was very deliberate and focused.

Hope that helps Mr. Master class. :D

Rich