Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

124gr bullets loaded with N320

BillGarlandJr

In the past I have loaded MG 147gr CMJs over 3.7gr of N320 which I shot out of a Glock 17 with a Barsto barrel. This was a great shooting load....nice and soft and very accurate. Since then though, I have switched to a Glock 34, also with a Barsto barrel, and MG 124gr JHPs. As it turned out, I like the longer sight radius of the 34, and I like the snappier feel of the 124gr bullets. When I made the switch to the 124gr JHPs I also switched powders. What I ended up using was 4.6gr of Universal Clays under the 124gr JHP for a power factor of about 137. This load has served me well...it feels good to me and is good for 2 to 2 1/2 inches at 25 yards. However, I find myself with quite a bit of the N320 on hand which has me thinking about working up some loads with it using the 124gr bullets. From what I have read on here it sounds as though N320 and 124 gr bullets are very popular (seems as though the loads range from about 4.0gr to 4.3gr). In almost all of the posts I've read the most common comment made about N320 and 124gr bullets is how great it feels. In my searches though, I have not read much in regards to how accurate that combination is. Like most of us, I am fully in favor of a nice feeling load, and I understand that there is sometimes a trade off of less accuracy for that nicer feeling load. However, I am not willing to give up too much accuracy. So, those of you with experience with this load combination please let me know what kind of accuracy results you guys are getting.

Thanks

Because of all the things that come into play when accuracy is talked about your best bet is to load up 20 or 30 rounds and do some testing. As long as the load is within the realm of safety it should be ok for your setup. Give it a try is the best advice I can offer.

Joe W.

Actually, everyone please disregard my question. I loaded some MG 124gr JHPs with some N320 today and went out to the range. Wow....why didn't I try this load earlier? What a nice flat shooting load. I was able to recover the front sight so quickly and easily. And, to answer my original question....not only is this a nice feeling load, but it is plenty accurate too. Offhand at 25 yards I was able to keep everything under 3 inches. I was able to chrono some of them as well and they came to about a 134 pf....perfect.

For anyone who might be curious, here is the data for the load I used:

MG 124gr JHP

Federal Small Pistol Primers

Mixed Brass

4.2gr N320

1.120" OAL

Shrek,

That is my favorite load, although I use whatever 124/125 bullet I can find now. Just can't afford to be picky these days. I load shorter for my CZ per Angus's reccomendation. Out of a 5' government model I get 1115fps, out of my CZ average vel. 1075.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got some frontier 124 rn and want to load them up. I have been loading 115rn berrys with 5.2 of unique a 1.125 thru my XD 5". I really like that load but wanted to try 124. I also have some titegroup, v320, and 231. Any suggestions before I go to the books?

thx

Vihtavuori made the N330 for the 9x19. I use 4,8gr of it with 125gr plated lead round nose for a very accurate soft IPSC load.

3,6gr N330 with a 147gr lead truncated cone is a perfect bullseye load.

Alex

Uh oh, that's two people.

EERW talked about MG 124 cmj over 4.2grs of N320 chronoing at 134-5 pf.

My low end 'Chrony' shows me at 132PF using 3.8 grs N320 and a 1.13 OAL shooting a 75B.

Now I'm worried. It shoots very soft and has been good for USPSA, Accuracy hasn't been my biggest concern, but I'm starting to shoot steel.

In your load work-ups, does my Chrony sound off???

Edited by 1SOW

Uh oh, that's two people.

EERW talked about MG 124 cmj over 4.2grs of N320 chronoing at 134-5 pf.

My low end 'Chrony' shows me at 132PF using 3.8 grs N320 and a 1.13 OAL shooting a 75B.

Now I'm worried. It shoots very soft and has been good for USPSA, Accuracy hasn't been my biggest concern, but I'm starting to shoot steel.

In your load work-ups, does my Chrony sound off???

at our state match..Greg Lent ran the chrono..and my 75B stainless ran MG 124JHP, 4.2 of N320 at 1065avg for 132PF

I also load 4.2gr of N320 out of my M&P 9Pro for a pf of 133 with MG JHP 124 loaded to a COAL of 1.130. I really REALLY like this load. Compared it to the same load of Solo 1000 and while the Solo was close, the 320 was a touch better and smoked a lot less. We would load 5 of each in the mag and shoot them back to back in a 1001, 1002, 1003, cadence then a little faster. The N320 won.

Thanks guys. My Chrony MUST be off. @#$%.

I knew it was too good to be true. My Lee powder disks jump from 3.8 to 4.0 to 4.4 with N320.

I've got a lot of 124FMJ/CMJ so I'll give 4.0 a try at 1.13 or less and see how it shoots--I might try the same chrony and just look for the change in speed. NUTS.

Thanks again.

Don

1SOW, Lee makes an adjustable powder bar, runs $9.99 from Midway USA. But for $6 more you can get the adjustable powder bar as well as an extra powder hopper and lots of extra parts. You might check the parts out, they make it a lot easier to adjust your charge weight than the disks with several holes.

Joe W.

Thanks Joe.

I looked at that and may order for the better hopper and the improved 'rubber wiper'.

I also may look at carefully counterboring the bottom of the #40 disc hole/4.0 grs to give 4.2 grs of n320. The disk is 5$ from Lee.

I only shoot 9mm production/minor and stock 9mm in AASA, so I don't need a lot of load flexibilty.

My money needs to go to a chrono.

Edited by 1SOW

The only problem with drilling the hole out any is variations in the powder from lot to lot. Sometimes you can get a lot of powder that is more dense or less dense than the last and that could throw off your powder charge. Some powders have a huge issue with lot to lot differences, but I am not sure about the powders you listed.

Joe W.

The only problem with drilling the hole out any is variations in the powder from lot to lot. Sometimes you can get a lot of powder that is more dense or less dense than the last and that could throw off your powder charge. Some powders have a huge issue with lot to lot differences, but I am not sure about the powders you listed.

Joe W.

If that is the case with n320, that same problem would come up with an unaltered hole. I guess the answer is to be sure to be SURE to weigh the load when I get a new jug of powder. I expect a fine powder like 231 would change less. I can see why you recommended the adj. powder bar.

I've got 4 lbs of n320 coming tomorrow or the next day from Graf & Sons---took a month on backorder. I'll be sure to weigh several loads from that batch.

I'm still fairly new to reloading and don't have much experience to draw on.

Thanks for the tip,

Don

Edited by 1SOW

This site is a great source for information, if you have any reloading questions this is a great place to ask. Good luck and may you never have a squib.

Joe W.

Thanks Joe.

I just finished changing the Lee Powder Disk Hole #46 TO Hole "#51". The Lee powder Disk system doesn't come stock with a Hole #51.

It does drop 4.19955 grs of N320 consistently. :D

Thanks to everyone for the help.