Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open gun shooters- Do you use a thumb rest?

PistolPete

I'm curious what people are using or not using on their open guns. I recently added the thumb rests to my open gun and have had mixed feelings. First off, when getting the gun out of the holster having the thumb rest there just feels AWESOME!!! It give me some leverage on the gun which is great. However, because the angle of the thumb rest has my support hand thumb pointing about 30 degrees UP I don't have the same index that I would keeping it along the scope mount. So, I'm torn right now. I'm going to take my open guns and take it off one and shoot them back to back for a few weeks to decide but I want to get others input as to why you use or don't use one. One other thing with having the rest is you can actually apply additional pressure to the gun causing it to recoil etc. in a different fashion.

Thanks,

Pete

I pondered putting one on my gun that is being built right now by my gunsmith but decided not to. I agree with Larry's post as I don't use one on my Limited gun and like my grip and hand position the way it is. Putting one on may throw me off my game switching back and forth from Open to Limited. Just my $.02

Regards,

Brian

Edited by BN91205

When I started shooting, I slaped on a thumb rest and gave me leverage on controlling the gun.

What I didn't notice was that, I was actually hurting my shooting because I didnt let the gun recoil

naturally. It sucks because now that I'm actually in a higher level of shooting, I try to look for other

venues to earn more points on shooting. I discovered in practice that I shot better score without the

thumbrest. So, now my dot now moves more on the scope lense but I know that my shots are in the target

even if I call a bad hit?

I pondered putting one on my gun that is being built right now by my gunsmith but decided not to. I agree with Larry's post as I don't use one on my Limited gun and like my grip and hand position the way it is. Putting one on may throw me off my game switching back and forth from Open to Limited. Just my $.02

Regards,

Brian

Not allowed on a Limited gun anyway.