Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kill Bill

John Dunn

HOW can you skip a big fight with Kung Fu, fer cryin out loud? I nearly fell asleep during the 20 minutes of chit chat that opens Vol 2. Hard to believe both movies were shot at the same time.

Ever notice how in a Sergio Leone western there's several minutes of metaphorical foreplay --- wide shots of the arena, tight shots of hands near guns, tight, tighter, and tightest shots of eyes --- before the final gunfight's violence erupts in split second detail followed by a somewhat lingering death? The Carradine/Thurman conversation = the buildup; the final fight was quick to emulate the speed of a gunfight; and the death was sort of lingering.

Like Kelly, I can't wait to see the whole thing as one movie --- I'm wondering if the changeover from Eastern to Western will be subtle or sudden --- this assuming that there'll be a combined director's cut...

While I didn't find the gore in Volume 1 to be objectionable, I was ready for the change of pace that Volume 2 brought...

Kill Bill was a GREAT movie...although I can't really think of them as independent. You really can't have one without the other. The first part was definitely more...vibrant. It was stylistically more of what one would expect from Tarantino. The second part was more conventional, but still very good. I also can't wait to see the whole thing as one movie.

Ever notice how in a Sergio Leone western there's several minutes of metaphorical foreplay

Oh, definitely - but it's RIVETING, and that's the difference. Edge of your seat, vs. ok, whats next?

The opening scene in the church just rambled, and the final conversation with Bill was anticlimactic - TRUTH SERUM? Didn't need it.

It wasn't a bad movie, but I went in expecting much more. It might grow on me a little, but I left the first one ready to go back in and see it again. After Vol. 2, I was just glad it was over.

I spent the last twenty minutes of the film really wondering whether there'd be a final confrontation. What prompted that was the revelation that Uma and Bill's daughter was alive --- and the doting father set-up. Considering that it was a Tarantino movie, you had to figure the ending would be violent --- but on the other hand he's a smart, movie-loving geek who just might have decided to screw with the audiences mind by writing a believable transition to domestic bliss as a family. That would have to be one well-written and acted scene though to make it believable given what came before --- but I thought he might be able to pull it off.

That made it riveting...

I agree with you on the truth serum....

• 9 months later...

To ressurect an old thread: I saw the DVD of Kill Bill, Vol 1 last night. Holy cow! The imagery, the music to go with it, the action. Story? What story? You could sum it up in thirty seconds with time to pour a cup of coffee and add cream and sugar.

The scene of the motorcycle riders pacing the car was riveting. And art. And O-Ren Ishii walking down the hallway at the nightclub, with her crew behind her, practically knocked me off my couch.

Those with an eye can see that Lucy Liu is a trained martial artist, and Uma is a coached action-movie actor. But the fight scene was still well done.

We see Vol 2 tonight.

I liked both Kill Bill's (and I will personally shoot anybody who makes a stage called "will bill kill the frill with a drill and then chill by the mill but he'll spill the pill if he doesn't keep still? what a thrill!")

I'm surprised no one mentioned Pai Mei... He was the coolest character in Volume 2.

Shame on you! :angry::P

Can't believe I missed this thread. Nice posts on the spaghetti westerns Duane! My personal favourites have to be TGTBATU and FAFDM, but that's probably because I think Clint is the man... :)

LOL, sry I drifted this thing back to westerns again :D

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Western Channel. :D

I had forgotten how good/funny "For A Few Dollars More" is in places.

Lee striking the match on the hunchbacks "hump."

Clint grinding Lee's shiny boot.

The hat shooting incident - the start & The Finish...with the ricochet sounds of the bullet off Clint's hat. :D

Lots of good stuff.....