Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Resizing Die- Last Station?

PistolPete

Someone at my range said to resize my heavy loads after I load them so there isn't a bulge in them. I tried this tonight and must say the rounds seem that they will feed much easier. Has anyone bought an extra resizing and depriming die and removed the depriming tool to just resize the die and install it on the last station of a 650? Is this what the Lee die does automatically? I'm thinking this will make my ammo much more reliable. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Pete

What bulge are you referring to? The one created by the bullet entering the case mouth, or the one at the base of the case. You shouldn't have a bulge on the base of the case if you resized the brass correctly.

The bulge in the case neck area is normal because the sizer die almost always sizes tighter than factory specs for the brass.

If you are loading straight wall which are mostly pistol cases, the sizing die in the last station is a great idea (Some of the Lee Crimp dies have a carbide sizer ring for that final resize)it will not losen the Crimp (cases grip on bullet). If loading bottle neck dies like 357 SIG or .223 running it tru a sizing die again at the last station would possible losen the grip the case neck has on the bullet (brass will spring back after sizing while lead/jacketed bullet won't. Hope this is clear. GunWhoreDer

Your only resizing once, after that it's just fine tuning the cases outside dimensions. Uniformly smooths up the case after the rough treatment it just went tru by being belled\bullet seated\crimped. This action will probably cause the case to become brittle from being worked so much but I like knowing it will chamber smoothly without having to check each manually tru my case gauges. GunWhoreDer

Useing a lee FCD is just about the same thing.          Larry

Just about the same thing, but not really. Better get a measureing instrument out and verify that.

If the inner diameter of the dia is not larger than bullet diameter + 2x the case thickness, then you're swaging your projectile smaller.

Nobody wants a smaller projectile! Nobody.

Slughammer, lee FCD= lee factory crimp die, crimps and has a carbide resizeing ring to restore reloaded round to factory standards

Right.

But it still needs to be bigger than a size die. Get the calipers out and compare the ID of the carbide rings. The Lee FCD should have a larger ID.

If it was the same size, it would be crushing the bullet. Bullet pull, setback and kabooms would be very common results.

The normal station #1 size die is not "just about" a substitute. Measurement is required.

Some of you did not read my post closely enough. The carbide ring is only sizing most of the cases body, not the tip which is tapered. Hence no harm to the bullet gripping area. If you try running bottle neck cases tru a resizing die you will loosen the grip on the case, this is why the lee die only has a ring and not the whole bottle neck shape to it's cripmer/finish sizer. Uniforming the case afterall other steps is a very good idea if your press can hold enough dies. GunWhoreDer

no, it's an absolutely horrible idea that only someone who has never done it could possibly advocate. That's why resizing is done on station 1. Most resizing dies will actually undersize the case, and that is what keeps a 45 or 40 handgun bullet solidly in the case (not a crimp!).

--Detlef

I went out to my reloading room and tried to size a 38spl case with a .358 lead bullet (It happened to be in my rcbs press). Maybe I am not getting it, but my sizer squashed the case. There just wasn't enough room for the case and bullet to fit in the sizing die.

Mike

While I agreed with the majority of the opinions that believe resizing a loaded case with a standard resize die is not a good thing to do, I decided to do one just for the sake of argument. It transformed a perfectly good 115gr fmj bullet, that was previously .355 in diameter, into a .350 bullet. I don't really think that we need additional experimentation to prove that a .350 bullet in a .355-.356 barrel is a really bad idea.

I guess we are back to "forgetaboutit"

Leo