Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta Elite Pistol In Production

Chuck D

I'v just been given a new Beretta Elite in 9x19 for USPSA/IPSC Production Division and IDPA SSP Division. The gun seems to be a really nice piece and should suit its intended purpose well.

Is there anything I should look out for as far as parts wear/breakage is concerned? Does the gun have any "quirks" I should know about?

Anyone whom uses one of these guns on a regular basis and would be willing to share a bit of info with me as to how they like it and how it holds up would be a great help to me as I don't have much experience with Beretta's .

Thank you very much....in advance. :)

First thing is send it to Ernest Langdon - LangdonTactical.com for the best trigger job in the business. Multiple grades are available depending on the desired results. He also has solid stainless steel guide rods or you can get a tungston one from brignoliarmi.com/uk. Most people seem to like a 10-11 lb recoil spring instead of the factory 13 lb. Dawson has a fiber optic front sight but that may not be legal much longer with the upcoming rule changes. Many people believe the gun still shoots low with the Novak .290 rear and bump up to the .320. The Wilson suede lined tactical assault holster works great once it's broken in, a little tight at first. Winchester white box value pak will give you 128-129 pf. Thats all that comes to mind right now.

B)

I have to second the Langdon's recommendation. I just got 2 back, it's night and day. He keeps pretty current on the production rules. He told me the trigger replacemnet was no longer legal, so he did a 'Level 2' job on the standard trigger. Very nice. . All in all great work. I left the standard sights, since mine 92FS and 96Vertec don't have options like that.

Also added the Stainless rods to both, and a bigger mag release. I don't know enough to be able to tell exactly hopw the rods helps (swapping plastic for steel), what I do know, is shooting PF 173s through the 40, I've never shot better with it. I had 'retired' the 40, and just shot the 92 for production because I shot the Vertec so bad. I only sent it since I was sending the 92. I'm so glad I did. It'll be my new production gun, I'll lower the PF down - and statr testing loads for it.

Send it now :D .

There's 2 Steve's who also are in Matt Burketts forum, they gacve me the Langdon recomendations.

Dont be surprised when the left ear of the locking block breaks, from 3-6K ammo. Minor ammo will get you farther. I base this on working on 30 pistols at an agency for the last 11 years. Hopefully the new guns have a better block in them, but........my .02 cents, and I love the guns, just be prepared. Doug

Lots of good advice here. I was using a Wilson holster for IDPA and a Blade Tech dropped and offset holster for USPSA production. I eventually swithed to a standard Blade Tech for IDPA as well, and I find it much better, as the gun has no drag like a leather or even injection molded holster. The Wilson, does look way cooler though.

I'd guess I'm closing in on 25K round on mine now. Lost a pin that holds the ambi side hammer drop lever on, though I've had the top end apart and probably should have used a new roll pin. Other than that, it's got a great track record!

Replacement of the guide rod is USPSA Production legal? :huh:

In USPSA Production, you can replace internal parts...as long as the total weight of the gun doesn't go over 2oz. over stock. (I think you can get by with tungsten even, you can in a glock, not sure about Beretta.)

(no slide lighening to get the weight down ;) )

The Elite's come with a beveled mag well from the factory, I did dremel mine out a little more. It doesn't show in profile so I consider that an internal, therefore legal, bit of tuning.

The Brignoli tungston guide rod weighs 59 grams, just slightly over 2 ounces, but subtract the weight of the original guide rod and you are well within the 2 ounce limit.

B)