Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jp Comp Vs Cooley

KAL

I am putting a comp on my Rem 700, For the M.O.R. game, but more for the Sniper style unknown distance competitions. Need to be back on target faster to see the splash of the impact. Only allowed 10 seconds to make the follow up shot, then you are done. Which comp do you think would perform better on .308 bolt gun, And just as a side question why is the JP spoon style comp not legal for Limited AR rifles is it due to size or performance?? Thanks

I've shot both and talked to JP at some length on this topic. The best way I can describe it is this: the old JP comp is "softer" (less of a jolt and more recoil reduction) but the BC comp is more "linear" (more straight back into the shooter but the axis of the bore remains more on target).

Now is one "better" than the other? I don't think so. Either one will more than suffice. If I had to pick one for an AR, I'd go with BC because it's limited legal. But on a MOR gun, I think I'd go with the tank style to get a softer recoil impulse.

Hello,

Kelly's description is right on. My current IPSC/IMGA Open gun has the tank style JP comp. The gun shoots very flat and is back on target quickly. Probably better for your situation.

My practice partner has the BC comp. As a result of practice with him, my new gun will have the BC comp though. The straight back recoil fits my style a lot better.

Eric is right too. They're both REALLY mean for spectators (and RO's...hehehe).

Rich

Definitely get the full on JP tank style for a bolt action. I have one on a lightweight Remington bolt action in .270 and it made the rifle so much more shootable it wasn't even funny. It allows you to watch your impact through the scope and it makes it a heck of a lot faster getting off good followup shots or getting onto the next target ASAP. In the long run it also beats the rifle/scope up a whole lot less.

A friend just got a lightweight JP built Remington 700 in .308 with the tank brake and he was extremely impressed by how little recoil impule was left. He was also blown away by the muzzle blast!

And yeah, I admit the muzzle blast is really fierce, it has to be if the muzzle brake is very effective, just use plugs & muffs together and always warn others that it is about to get real real loud round heah'

Regards,

I again agree with Kelly's assesment. I've shot both comp's quite a bit, as well as Benny Hill's comp. . The tank brake is the most effective comp I have ever personally shot. I love Benny Hill's comp also, but it is very similar in performance to the Cooley Comp.

The JP tank brake is big, ugly, illegal in most matches, loud as hell, but extremely effective. If I were allowed to run one, I would. Screw the people standing beside me getting their hats blown off, they'll learn to get behind me when I shoot!

I can't say enough about how well the JP Tank brake works. I've got one on my .308 FAL and it recoils almost like a .223 AR with no brake.

But talking about grins and side blast it's pretty funny (to me anyway) when last week I shredded and blew the "plastic wind flags" off the stand of the Highpower Rifle Shooter who was practicing next to me.

So we talked a bit about muzzle brakes and to make up for the damage done I let him shoot my FAL with the Tank brake. After firing just one shot he looked up at me and said, "That's ******* amazing!"

Too bad they aren't Limited legal.