Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Airline approved

I am planning to put my GunCase locked into my suitcase that will have the range bag in it, is that a problem?

I'm flying US Air from TX to Washington, DC (Reagan), to Area 8 Champoinship. Anybody flown into Reagan with guns? I was told not to go to Baltimore Washington, Marlyand doesn't like guns!

At $15 for the first and $25 for the second bag each way, I'm shipping the ammo and maybe the clothes, heck don't need many clothes, its not a fashion show its a shooting match.

I'm going to look for a pelican as well.

Maybe this is a hijacking (of the thread), maybe not.

I was wondering about something similar. Doesn't anyone worry about their carry-on going through the 'sniffer' at the airports? I've had my computer bag swabbed with a small patch and run into a sniffer machine many times. It might cost you a missed flight and some time in the back room to explain why your range bag / carry-on popped positive for nitrocellulous based explosives (aka, powder residue). Furthermore, my luggage has been searched by dogs many times (usually looking for fruit/plants in customs), and they might be trained to smell some explosives too.

I've always been very careful to not use my range backpack as a luggage when I travel because I'm really worried about setting off an alarm. Am I crazy, or should I be concerned? Any TSO people out there? Anyone who knows about the 'sniffers' ?

Hawaii and Virginia Airports no problem using my range bag which pretty much always got brass dumped in it. Its been swabbed and sniffed and didnt raise any eyebrows.

Tokyo Airport big problem. Evidently they use a different sniffer.

Maybe this is a hijacking (of the thread), maybe not.

I was wondering about something similar. Doesn't anyone worry about their carry-on going through the 'sniffer' at the airports? I've had my computer bag swabbed with a small patch and run into a sniffer machine many times. It might cost you a missed flight and some time in the back room to explain why your range bag / carry-on popped positive for nitrocellulous based explosives (aka, powder residue). Furthermore, my luggage has been searched by dogs many times (usually looking for fruit/plants in customs), and they might be trained to smell some explosives too.

I've always been very careful to not use my range backpack as a luggage when I travel because I'm really worried about setting off an alarm. Am I crazy, or should I be concerned? Any TSO people out there? Anyone who knows about the 'sniffers' ?

I've been told the machine sniffs for HE residue (i.e. plastic explosive, etc, etc) and not low volume stuff like gun powder.

Yeah, it will pick up plastic explosive residue! I was traveling for work several years ago and went through the screening at an airport in Florida. I was carrying my old Army duffle bag because it would lock and is very durable. WELL, what I failed to think about was that I used to be a Combat Engineer in the Army whose main purpose in life is to BLOW shit up! :ph34r: Well, needless to say, I had used that duffle bag before in the field to carry C-4 in on training missions, which in turn left a little residue behind! :surprise: Well, after an hour or so convincing the authorities that I was not going to blow up a perfectly good airplane, and explained the whole story to them, they let me repack my bag and continue on my trip home. Needless to say I do NOT take that bag in airports anymore!!!!! Sorry to drift, just wanted to impart my infinite wisdom on all of you! :roflol:

Got my Pelican 1550 case today. Seems a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be, but it really is a nice case and well worth the money. Only problem I see is keeping that piece of luggage under 50 pounds. With 2 guns, ammo, mags, case, and suitcase, most if not all that 50 pounds is gone. Thank goodness Techwear shirts don't weigh much.

Shoot nekkid maybe?? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Just the thought of hot brass hitting in some places hurts just think about. ROFL From what I have read on Southwest Airlines web site I can check two bags for no charge so one will have gun and some clothes and the other will have ammo, mags and more clothes. Carry on will be my backpack/laptop case and my range bag with anything else I can't get into my checked bags such as camera gear and such. lol Dang, I think I have been traveling way too much lately. Oh wait, I need to go get packed for Alaska, leave in a week for two weeks up North. LOL

Joe W.

Edited by joecichlid

I`v been listening to Matt Burketts radio show on Podcast, and he says that the rules for "traveling with gun" are most relaxed at Southwest Airline.

Hes traveling all over the world competing in 3-gun, and has huge experience with "traveling with gun". According to him hes flown 5-600 round-trips with Southwest, with guns.

He do NOT recomend Delta. They have a negative view on pll traveling with firearms. F.ex Delta says that you cant put a pistol and a rifle in one case (sucks if you travel to a 3-gun competition.)

I fly with guns on Delta (in checked bag) every few months. Had one problem, one time, but it was because TSA at my departure airport told me one thing and the Delta clerk at the return airport thought the rules said something else. Minor issue that was quickly resolved. I fly mostly out of regional airports, so that might be why I don't get hassled. But, I didn't even get looked at cross-eyed when I flew out of Atlanta. So, maybe some Delta agents have issues with guns, but it isn't a company-wide issue. In my experience, TSA is a bigger PITA than Delta.

Delta went ok in regards flying me and two open guns to France for the Euro Champs... on the gun case thing, the bag that's least likely to get weighed is the gun bag, although sometimes they still do :(

I live in Cincy and only have Delta as a air carrier. I've only been to a couple of majors, but both times Delta and the TSA have been fine with my checking of guns and ammo. They almost seem scared to look in my cases which is good as I usually have more than 11 pounds of ammo.

I have found that 260 rounds of .40 cal weighs 11 pounds, not enough to get me through a match.

I live in Cincy and only have Delta as a air carrier.

I have flown through the Cincy airport many times...and believe it or not - almost all major carriers operate from the airport. You are not restricted to only using Delta.

Free market economy - fly who you want - until The Chosen One takes over the airline industry!

Anyone got pics of how they layed out their Pelican case? I'll be taking a Limited and an Open gun with 10 mags.

Like in post #17 of this thread??????

I saw yours, but I don't need room for a twelve pack o' Miller Lite :cheers: