Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FO came out of my lim gun today, replacement question

cold

Just started shooting limited, got a used Dawson and the FO came out after approx 200 rounds while practicing.

Whats the best way to keep a replacement FO rod in place?

Thanks in advance guys!

FO rod install instruction courtesy of Dawson Precision

I've heard of using just a small dab (of clear adhesive in the middle area of the rod to keep it in place.

the adhesives i've heard of range from clear silicon to super glue (i tried super glue, FO rod stayed in place but it clouded over a bit)

Edited by yoshidaex

I have started to make a BIG mushroom at the muzzle end and then superglue that to the sight. It doesn't cloud the fiber, is much easier to replace the fiber and hold it in place indefinitely.

Adhesive really isn't necessary. Proper installation is the best method. I'll show you at KY. But always keep spare rod and a small butane torch or lighter for change or repair. I think I've had 2 come out in 100k rounds.

Ah... to that note, I don't mushroom both ends, only the muzzle end, which I glue. The end I see, I want to be a small as possible, so I leave it original size. Forgot to mention that. It gets just enough shoulder to not pull through.

Edited by Seth

thi sused to happen to me when the front sight would drag on my kydex holster during the draw.

if the FO rod gets a little loose or is too big on the far end on the rod (the end closest to the opening of the barrel, furthest from the shooter)itn slowly abrades itself and breaks.

You can check this from time to time and if the rod slides around a little in the sight, you need to re heat it and get it to draw back in there.

they do break after awhile eventually though

I never glue mine. Makes it too hard to replace it.

I insert from the muzzle, melt the viewing end to the desired size and pull it tight toward the muzzle. Then clip leaving about 1/16'. Melt and smash it down while preventing it from moving. I have never had it come out.

But always keep spare rod and a small butane torch or lighter for change or repair.
Make sure the "mushrooms" pull in snug. End play will reduce it's life.

I also bring spare rods and a lighter with me. And I always mushroom the end and make sure it's tight.

I'll add one other thing that I do. I always replace the rod before major matches (after I've arrived at my destination). This is probably overkill, but the only time I've lost a rod was during transportation. I figure the gun is bouncing around in the bag--especially if baggage handlers are moving your stuff between the plane and baggage claim.

Edited by CSEMARTIN

Thats for the thoughts guys.

I was working on box drills, drawing and I watched the FO fall out after I broke the first shot.

I must have had approx 30-50 draws before this happened and it would not shock me if it had something to due with the holster too.

Bladetech DOH is might snug even when I have it opened up.

I usually replace mine at the beginning of the shooting season (around March). Keep a check to make sure the FO doesn't have any movement in the sight, as others have said, that will cause breakage. If you do decide to glue it, I suggest keeping a drill bit the size of your fiber in your shooting bag (along with spare fiber and a lighter). That way, if you break your fiber on a port or something, you can get it out of the front sight and replace it at the range.

Hurley