Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FN SLP Mk 1 - What Mods and accessories for 3-gun?

Looks like a clean job Doc. That seems to be the amount of work I want to do to mine, but I have been too scared to grind on the new shotgun.

I stay away from the Dremel Tool! I do it all with files and stones. Sometimes I go to far too fast with power tools! <_<

I felt the same way, but no fear now. Just go slow!

Cheers,

Kyle

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a clean job Doc. That seems to be the amount of work I want to do to mine, but I have been too scared to grind on the new shotgun.

I stay away from the Dremel Tool! I do it all with files and stones. Sometimes I go to far too fast with power tools! <_<

Cheers,

Kyle

Doc, can we get a picture of the lifter from the top side? (Take it out of the gun)

Looks awesome BTW.

Thanks.

Edited by tojan19

Cheers,

Kyle

Doc, can we get a picture of the lifter from the top side? (Take it out of the gun)

Looks awesome BTW.

Thanks.

You Bet!

Thanks for the compliment, but Michael Shumaker is the man and he should get the credit! He did a great job and stuck with the project until it worked 100% of the time!

Here are the photos you requested.

Cheers,

Kyle

post-21212-072347200 1294807045_thumb.jp

post-21212-085743000 1294807059_thumb.jp

post-21212-014611600 1294807074_thumb.jp

Edited by DocMcG

Thanks for the compliment, but Michael Shumaker is the man and he should get the credit! He did a great job and stuck with the project until it worked 100% of the time!

Cheers,

Kyle

With the center of the lifter being the outermost part, are you not concerned with primer contact? Primer releif cuts became a big deal at one point not too long ago. James C welded mine up and for that reason he put in a slight crescent so that the metal of the lifter won't contact the primer.

Cheers,

Kyle

With the center of the lifter being the outermost part, are you not concerned with primer contact? Primer releif cuts became a big deal at one point not too long ago. James C welded mine up and for that reason he put in a slight crescent so that the metal of the lifter won't contact the primer.

Good point Mark, however, when placing the lifter to a shotshell and comparing the radius of both the brass on the shell and the edge of the lifter there is little concern for contact. We kept an eye on this as we worked on the lifter, but I rechecked it after your comment and I am still of the same opinion. The recess of the primer alone would take exceptional amounts of force to be overcome by the lifter. Once again, great point!

Cheers,

Kyle

Good point Mark, however, when placing the lifter to a shotshell and comparing the radius of both the brass on the shell and the edge of the lifter there is little concern for contact. We kept an eye on this as we worked on the lifter, but I rechecked it after your comment and I am still of the same opinion. The recess of the primer alone would take exceptional amounts of force to be overcome by the lifter. Once again, great point!

Cheers,

Kyle

A double check is always good. :cheers:

Cheers,

Kyle

Looks awesome BTW.

Thanks.

You Bet!

Cheers,

Kyle

Well it looks like Mr Shumaker is going to be getting some more work. I'm going to mail him my trigger group. Going to have him add that pretty lip and mill out the slot.

Would it be rude to ask what he charged you for this milling and welding this lip on? This is all new to me I love the FN SLP MK1 but I have already killed my thumb numerous times seems to be the only flaw with this shotgun imo. What added benefit does the milling provide? Like I said I am a newbe here so I am asking respectfully.

Would it be rude to ask what he charged you for this milling and welding this lip on? This is all new to me I love the FN SLP MK1 but I have already killed my thumb numerous times seems to be the only flaw with this shotgun imo. What added benefit does the milling provide? Like I said I am a newbe here so I am asking respectfully.

I would encourage you to contact him because I don't want to speak for Mike on his pricing (just to be safe), but it was a value. The milled slot reduces weight and allows me to see past the lifter and place a pocket knife (other item) through the slot to clear a failure if needed.

Cheers,

Kyle

Well I am sending my trigger group into Michael for the weld and milling on the lifter. I am excited to get it back. I will probably polish the lifter with the dremel tool and hopefully be over this hurdle and ready for the season.

Edited to add: "With all the skin on my thumb intact."

Edited by ksshooter223

• 2 weeks later...

I posted pics earlier in this thread of my modified SLP. In those images, I was using the lifter unmodified with the exception of some smoothing and polishing. I have since had Jeff C. weld up the end of the lifter. All that I have to say is WOW, WOW, WOW! What a tremendous difference in loading the shotgun with the welded lifter! I would recommend that anybody that has an SLP have their lifter welded up!

No one makes an after market loading gate for the SLP, is that why the only approach is welding?

To my knowledge, yes. I have tried smoothing, rounding and polishing the lifter forks to a mirror finish, but when opening up the loading port, I found I could catch/pinch my thumbnail pretty hard still. The welded lifter makes a tremendous difference!

No one makes an after market loading gate for the SLP, is that why the only approach is welding?

To my knowledge, yes. I have tried smoothing, rounding and polishing the lifter forks to a mirror finish, but when opening up the loading port, I found I could catch/pinch my thumbnail pretty hard still. The welded lifter makes a tremendous difference!

I am surprised, maybe some entrepreneur will make something like the remingtons an FN easy loader, it would be grooved the shape of a 12ga shell to better guide the round.....:)

Cheers,

Kyle

Looks awesome BTW.

Thanks.

You Bet!

Cheers,

Kyle

Anyone know what the turn-around time is to weld up a gate....I might have gotten myself in a jam...just received my SLP today, and yes the thumb eating gate makes it difficult to load, BUT I have a match march 5th :surprise:

Edited by fastarget

C-Rums was about 2.5-3 weeks turnaround (that includes shipping to and from).

Anything I can do to radius those points or trim back to get past this match, it is a fundraiser for a friend and fellow shooter to help sshis family cope with costs for cancer treatments, otherwise I would skip it.