Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FN SLP Mk 1 - What Mods and accessories for 3-gun?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that Chris Patty has 'em. www.cpwsa.com (and he's in the benos.com Dealer Forums)

So even though they are marked as Benelli, they will still run the same in the SLP?

I understand that we are just talking about drilling and tapping a hole, but I am unfamiliar with the similarities between the Benelli and FNH systems.

Thanks

I think that Chris Patty has 'em. www.cpwsa.com (and he's in the benos.com Dealer Forums)

So even though they are marked as Benelli, they will still run the same in the SLP?

I understand that we are just talking about drilling and tapping a hole, but I am unfamiliar with the similarities between the Benelli and FNH systems.

Thanks

Josh,

Yes, it the Benelli Nordic Comp button works just fine on the SLP. I just installed one on my new SLP last week. Just got my load gate back today and now all of my mods are complete! :) Ready for some 3-Gun!

Kyle

• 1 month later...

Here is a pic of a 30 degree bevel I did on mine with the mill and to show where I trimmed the handguard back. Loads very smooth now.

This is on the SLP. I will be done with the SX3 by the end of this week and plan to use it at KY State.

The SLP weighs 8# even with the 22" barrel. The SX3 weighs 6.7# with a Nordic +5 tube and a 26" barrel. My Benelli weighs 7.15# with a Nordic +5 tube and 21" barrel.

00bullitt what bolt knob are you using in this picture?

Here is a pic of a 30 degree bevel I did on mine with the mill and to show where I trimmed the handguard back. Loads very smooth now.

This is on the SLP. I will be done with the SX3 by the end of this week and plan to use it at KY State.

The SLP weighs 8# even with the 22" barrel. The SX3 weighs 6.7# with a Nordic +5 tube and a 26" barrel. My Benelli weighs 7.15# with a Nordic +5 tube and 21" barrel.

00bullitt what bolt knob are you using in this picture?

It looks to me like he is running the Briley bolt handle. I've got the same thing in black on my SLP

http://www.briley.com/boltopreratinghandle.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered a FN SLP Mark I. It states that it has 8 +1 mag cap. So I'd I added a nordic + 4 would that take it to 12 + 1?

It seems most 3gun matches have a start limit but after the buzzer your clear to go. I was thinking that may be one of the mods I would like to add. Any input?

I just ordered a FN SLP Mark I. It states that it has 8 +1 mag cap. So I'd I added a nordic + 4 would that take it to 12 + 1?

It seems most 3gun matches have a start limit but after the buzzer your clear to go. I was thinking that may be one of the mods I would like to add. Any input?

If you are shooting Limited or Tactical Division in a USPSA match, you are limited to 9 rounds at any time.

If you are shooting Open Division, you are limited to 11 rounds.

If you are shooting Limited or Tactical Division in a USPSA match, you are limited to 9 rounds at any time.

If you are shooting Open Division, you are limited to 11 rounds.

Only shot USPSA 3 Gun once so mostly shooting outlaw 3 gun matches as they call them.

Umm, thats gonna be a helluva loooooong shotgun to maneuver.. If you're going to extend it any, I'd go with a +1.

Wow did not think of that! Guess I need to wait till I have the gun in hand. Thanks Ken

Looks like the Nordic bolt handle

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=186537

I have one on my SX2, works great

So is this the one pictured above? Are these drop in pieces, or do they need to be tapped like mentioned before?

The Nordic and Briley bolt handles are both drop-in. Pull the old one out straight to the side; press the new one in its place.

Looks very professional. May I ask how you kept it at an exact angle and so even from front to back? I am afraid if I tried this it will end up looking like Doug's.

No offense Doug. ;)

Hopefully this is not hijacking since it is related to mods.

1. Nordic or Briley on the bolt handle?

Briley looks more comfortable, Nordic looks more stylized. Anyone had experience with both, and would like to compare and contrast? Another photo of the Briley might help as well. One thing thing I hate about the stock bolt handle is how sharp the damn thing is. The first day shooting trap, I had a failure to cycle, hurried to rack another round in but slipped off, which filleted my finger wide open. In fact this whole gun seems to be full of sharp edges. It makes me wonder what they were thinking what some of these gun makers are thinking when making this stuff.

2. Is the Nordic 'big button' a drop in piece? Is it black like pictured above, or has that been 'blacked'?

3. Why has FN installed and chinese finger trap where you put the shells. Has anyone else had their fingers gobbled by this thing? Holy shit, you get your finger too far inside the tube and it does not want to give it back. Really, who tested this thing and gave it the A-OK? Is the solution to just file the gate? It seems like the inside of the tube is a little sharp as well, but don't want to get carried away filing things down and screw up the functionality.

4. A problem I have occasionally, is getting the 8th round to seat in the tube. It hits a 'wall' and wont click in. If I push on it repeatedly, it usually will work in enough to click, but has caused some malfunctions and slow reloads. Has anyone else had this? Solution?

5. Another problem I have had is when I load the tube, I can't get the action to pull them out when charging the handle. I can sit there and rack back and forth, but they just sit there in the tube. It is like the spring inside is just not pushing them out to be picked up by the feed ramp. Anyone? Solution?

1. Nordic or Briley on the bolt handle?

Briley looks more comfortable, Nordic looks more stylized. Anyone had experience with both, and would like to compare and contrast? Another photo of the Briley might help as well. One thing thing I hate about the stock bolt handle is how sharp the damn thing is. The first day shooting trap, I had a failure to cycle, hurried to rack another round in but slipped off, which filleted my finger wide open. In fact this whole gun seems to be full of sharp edges. It makes me wonder what they were thinking what some of these gun makers are thinking when making this stuff.

No experience with the Briley but I'm a big fan of the nordic. Its straight drop in and works great. Very easy to operate both strong and weak hand. Highly recommend this upgrade.

2. Is the Nordic 'big button' a drop in piece? Is it black like pictured above, or has that been 'blacked'?

Can't answer this one

3. Why has FN installed and chinese finger trap where you put the shells. Has anyone else had their fingers gobbled by this thing? Holy shit, you get your finger too far inside the tube and it does not want to give it back. Really, who tested this thing and gave it the A-OK? Is the solution to just file the gate? It seems like the inside of the tube is a little sharp as well, but don't want to get carried away filing things down and screw up the functionality.

Its the same on the winchesters too. You can tig weld the lifter closed so that its solid which will help. I've beveled out the loading port and polished the lifter slick and it makes a big difference.

4. A problem I have occasionally, is getting the 8th round to seat in the tube. It hits a 'wall' and wont click in. If I push on it repeatedly, it usually will work in enough to click, but has caused some malfunctions and slow reloads. Has anyone else had this? Solution?

Sounds like the spring is tight. Load the tube up and let it sit to break it in. Other option is to chop off some of the spring.

5. Another problem I have had is when I load the tube, I can't get the action to pull them out when charging the handle. I can sit there and rack back and forth, but they just sit there in the tube. It is like the spring inside is just not pushing them out to be picked up by the feed ramp. Anyone? Solution?

Is this only happening on a full tube? Next time at the range, load the tube and if racking the action won't release a round, try hitting the butt of the gun on the ground (with no round in the chamber of course). See if it goes click and then it should load. It could be related to your spring tension issue where the first round is putting too much pressure on the shell retainer and it won't release. If this happens with less rounds in the tube then check the follower. It could be getting stuck in the tube. The tube isn't bent at all is it?

1. Is the Nordic friendly on the hands? I read in a review that it was sharp.

5. I does not have to be reloaded, I have for seen it with 6.

When it does happen, after a few failed attempts, and pushing the rounds into the tube, it finally kicks them out.

I am wondering if it could be resolved with one of the mods that have been discussed; SureCycle, deburring, etc.

Not sure if it is bent; I have only had it apart once.

The nordic is friendly on the hands. Have never had a problem with it and still have all my fingers intact. ;)

The shell issue is interesting. If its happening with less than a full tube there could be something else going on. Grab a flashlight and take a look at the shell retainer through the loading port. You can do this with the gun empty. Push the loading gate in and press on the retainer - it should move easily and go all the way in. Then try cycling the action slowly and watch the retainer. By the time the bolt carrier is 3/4 rearward, the shell stop should be completely clear of the follower. If it isn't clearing then it could be gunked up or a spring/mechanical issue. If it is gtg then I would say its something with the tube. 6 or more shells is causing it to bind and they aren't moving freely.

Umm, thats gonna be a helluva loooooong shotgun to maneuver.. If you're going to extend it any, I'd go with a +1.

Wow did not think of that! Guess I need to wait till I have the gun in hand. Thanks Ken

I have the +4 on mine and it is long, but it's not that bad to maneuver. I'm also not a pro, so it definitely doesn't affect my speed and maneuverability. I'm a middle of the pack shooter at best, don't think the 6 or so extra inches it adds is holding me back. ;)

I have the +4 on mine and it is long, but it's not that bad to maneuver. I'm also not a pro, so it definitely doesn't affect my speed and maneuverability. I'm a middle of the pack shooter at best, don't think the 6 or so extra inches it adds is holding me back. ;)

I ended up going with the +2 to make it a 10+1.

Lets me have all nine in the tube for a start with empty chamber starts plus makes loading those nine a little easier and does not make it that much longer.

Also added the Nordic charging handle and the bolt release. Still need to bevel the mag well to make loading a little easier.

First weekend I had it went out and ran about 250 rounds in one sitting even before cleaning the gun ran like a champ! not one problem and used bulk Federal and Winchester! Great gun can wait to get a little more practice and then get it into a match to see how it goes.

One thing I would like to change is to have a little shorter length of pull. Anyone know of any aftermarket stokes?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

The shell issue is interesting. If its happening with less than a full tube there could be something else going on. Grab a flashlight and take a look at the shell retainer through the loading port. You can do this with the gun empty. Push the loading gate in and press on the retainer - it should move easily and go all the way in. Then try cycling the action slowly and watch the retainer. By the time the bolt carrier is 3/4 rearward, the shell stop should be completely clear of the follower. If it isn't clearing then it could be gunked up or a spring/mechanical issue. If it is gtg then I would say its something with the tube. 6 or more shells is causing it to bind and they aren't moving freely.

K, I figured it out. The problem was not the gun, but the shells. I have been practicing my speed reload over an over with the same shells, which has caused the rims to dish a bit, which has caused them to hang up on the shell stop. FN SLP still rules!! :)

One thing I would like to change is to have a little shorter length of pull. Anyone know of any aftermarket stocks?

Thanks

Any ideals out there for a shorter after market stock?

Edited by PHolsted

I had a Briley bolt handle break last year at the Rocky Mountain 3 gun so i just installed a Nordic. No issues yet.

A far as the lifter goes don't spend the money to weld it, just grind the ends off. That will take care of the problem.

There are several threads talking about this same issue. There are even pictures showing some of the modifications done to the loading port area.

K, I figured it out. The problem was not the gun, but the shells. I have been practicing my speed reload over an over with the same shells, which has caused the rims to dish a bit, which has caused them to hang up on the shell stop. FN SLP still rules!! :)

You're not practicing speed reloading with live rounds are you? What if you decide to 'dry fire'?

Just ordered my FN SLP Mark 1.

Thanks for all the contributions!