Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

aimpoint knock offs

Harmon

i dont see the value of a Real AIMPOINT when they cost 2-3X the amount of a c-more. I am not looking for a better sight than a C-more, just a tube sight that that will sit lower to the bore.

600 dollars for a red dot sight?? i know the battery life is super long on the aimpoint, but this is for a match gun. I can change batteries...

I wouldn't worry too much about it ....Most of us are shooting a "copy" of some sort or another.........The only way to find out if they are any good is to buy one and try it...

Thought you guys might get a kick out of this one.......I own one of these..........It is a non-electric - holographic shotgun sight.........

Heads up ala C-more.....Holgraphic with a dot within a circle ala Bushnell Holo. :D

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=40980.0

Edited by ipscjoe

I wouldn't worry too much about it ....Most of us are shooting a "copy" of some sort or another.........The only way to find out if they are any good is to buy one and try it...

Thought you guys might get a kick out of this one.......I own one of these..........It is a non-electric - holographic shotgun sight.........

Heads up ala C-more.....Holgraphic with a dot within a circle ala Bushnell Holo. :D

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=40980.0

That is a very cool piece. I wonder how many of them are left in the world? With just a little search, I found several for sale, even two on ebay. I'm almost tempted to bid on one. It sure looks like you could use it even today.

Yes, it does appear everyone is using a "copy", doesn't it? Improved upon, perhaps, but a copy nonetheless.

MLM

Edited by mlmiller1

i dont see the value of a Real AIMPOINT when they cost 2-3X the amount of a c-more. I am not looking for a better sight than a C-more, just a tube sight that that will sit lower to the bore.

600 dollars for a red dot sight?? i know the battery life is super long on the aimpoint, but this is for a match gun. I can change batteries...

Actually. lets look at some prices from a favorite retailer of mine....

Cmore Railway with click sw - $269.00

Aimpoint ML2 - $379.00

Aimpoint CompC - $379.00

Aimpoint Micro T1 - $459.00

These are all prices for NEW product, if you buy used you can save a considerable amount on an Aimpoint. They are available used, you just have to look. I just passed on a nice used Aimpoint T1 with a one piece mount for $400. Additionally, I have never paid more than $179 for clean used Comp XDs and I have extras as backup.

So none of the Aimpoints I listed is 2X-3X the cost of a Cmore, in fact none of the Aimpoints are even 2X. The Comp and ML2 are 40% more and the T1 is 70% more. Are the Aimpoints that much nicer? That is all personal judgement call. I think there is NO comparison when you consider that the optics are much nicer, they are housed in aircraft grade aluminum, and the erector/adjustment setups are bullet proof.

• 5 months later...

Some months later.

I have been looking at replacements now that Aimpoint have essentially shitcanned the M2/3 - CompC etc and gone to the very ugly and grossly over priced M4 and the somewhat naff Micro (I have one and I am not impressed). I have secured 2 new ML3 lately and will collect them when I am in MO next May. Aimpoint can ditch the M4 anytime they like and bring back the CompC3 or ML3 series anytime they like. I have 9 now and love them. I keep some for backups, I have them on 5 guns and planning a new setup soon. NRA Action Pistol mostly.

I looked at the Vortex and called the local distributor, if the scopes are as good as his attitude, I will be attaching the centre of a toilet roll and taping cat hair across the back before I buy a Vortex. A freind in Australia bought one some time ago and he now has problems. He was happy for a while but I just did not like it. For all the reasons stated previously.

I had a good run out of Tasco PDP3 way back when before I found the Aimpoints, they are still available and still well made. I still have two and they are 10 years old at least and all still work and hold zero. The dots are as good (or bad) as the day they came out, not round a little fuzzy, but always there.

PFI (Pride Fowler Inc) seem to make a nice solid PDP3 type scope. Good features and well constructed, not cheap but well backed up and very clever design. John and Mickey are straight up guys, they know their stuff. John was 5th at Bianchi in May this year with a 1920 at age 60. :cheers:

Burris 135 looks pretty good, tried one on a 30-30 recently and it worked well enough, could be a little brighter in daylight, but better than most. Reasonable battery life. It was still going 3 weeks (21 days) later when we found it in the safe. I like and will be looking at gettinmg one to test out on my Ruger 40Cal Supressed Carbine.

Warning biased opinion - I sell Trijicon and I originally liked the look of the Trijicon TriDot until I used one. Average dot on battery power but too much to go wrong. If they made it in either Fibre Optic or Battery only illumination then fine, but hell it is way too busy. Pick one thing pleeeease. Just don't go near them.

On the other side of the coin, the new Trijicon RMR is bloody brilliant, significant advancement of the Dr Optic style head up display type Mini Red Dot. Not a tube I know but it really does work. Bright enough in all conditions I have tried it in. It sits a little high off the mount rail, but I think they are fixing that. A new version is due with variable power settings that are manually adjustable and now a Fibre Optic driven one is available. Slightly bigger than Doctor and others but way more durable, some clever made Polymers being used to prevent damage by uniformed weapons carrying platforms. I dropped a test one from a great height (ooops) and it bounced 6" back off the concrete. Landed hard on the hood, barely a mark and the screen was perfect, held zero on the shotgun. I have one mounted on a Rem870 Tactical, the mount makes it sit a little high but I think I can make it fly. Operator error is holding the test back some. I will mount one on something really nasty in the near future Sako Battue 458x2" rifle, total 8lb in weight including RMR. I have to get my shoulder sorted first. :surprise:

i bought one of Primary Arms M4 clones and put it on a 9mm AR. i've only fired a couple hundred rounds with it but i like it very much. it has held zero, has 4 different dots designs, and is more than bright enough. i have not tested if the 4 dot designs all have the same point/impact, but another shooter tried it and they all appeared to hit the same spot. i will test that at some point for myself. but so far, no complaints. i'm considering buying another.

http://www.primaryarms.com/product.sc?prod...mp;categoryId=5

back on topic. what would be the highest quality aimpoint knockoff?

Harmon

OK, sorry about that...

The guys on ar15.com have said a lot of good things about the one from Primary Arms. However, I'd seriously consider the new one from Bushnell. $144 from opticsplanet.com. A friend bought their holosight for his AR and is very happy with the value proposisiton.

Edit: nice thing about it over the Aimpoint, is that you can mount it on the left side at 90 degrees. Close the the slide, but away from the ejeciton port. Should be easy to make a mount for it.

http://www.bushnell.com/general/riflescope...phy_73-1303.cfm

http://www.opticsplanet.net/printable-bush...dot-731303.html

Anybody know if this'll fit in a Larue mount for a T1?

Intellectual property rights are a huge issue right now. China does not recognize US patents so none of those claims can be made against Chinese knockoff companies. Patents have two basic sets of rules (to oversimplify a bit) Concept patent which is good for 7 years which gives you an exclusive on a "new" design concept. Design patent then gives you royalty basis for 7 more years on legimate copies. The Chinese companies can stand to hurt a lot of companies if we support their r & d cost of just buying something and reverse engineering it within months and being on the market. How do you think products get advanced intellectually? It takes years of r & d in most cases that must be recaptured in the cost of goods. Buy Chinese and we will end up being stagnant in development because no major company will want to spend the time on r & d. Support the innovators and those that support our industry!!!!!! (ouch! Does this have to go under rants? LOL)