Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challege Barrel for your M41

G-ManBart

They sure have. The center holes on the left and right sides are completely plugged. The holes on both ends on the left and right, are about half plugged and all three of the holes in the center of the comp are about 75% blocked.

The deposits are pretty hard and don't yield to a plastic "digging tool" at all so I don't think it's powder residue. I've also tried with a steel dental pick but it ain't moving.

I've seen the recommendations to use a Dremel with a round ball but hesitate on that because I don't want to deform the holes in the comp, especially now that I know that the comp is aluminum.

Mostly I've fired the recommended CCI Mini mags. I've shot about 2,000 – 3,000 rounds.

Since it's easy to take the comp off, I'm thinking heat might be the easiest way to get it out. I think you could heat it up enough to make the lead soft and not hurt the comp. Send Ray at Bully a note and see what he thinks. R,

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the reply I got from Ray.

The comp is anodized aluminum and won't melt til about 1350F.

I have had good success soaking the comp in Hoppes9 overnight and then using a .22 bronze brush in an electric drill for the small holes. #9 should soften and loosen the lead.

I had no experience with comps and I don't shoot mine much, but Billy Abbate came to me with the problem you have and it seems a Hoppes9 soak and brushing every 200 or so rounds would be advisable.

I would only try heat as a last resort. A propane torch should melt the lead around 700F. Better would be to put the comp in a lead pot (do you cast bullets?). Take the set screw out first. I am not sure how any of this would work so be careful.

I don't have any Hoppe's around (used to like the smell but now it makes me ill). I'll get some next week and give the overnight soaking method a try.

Bigger Hammer:

Drop Ray an e-mail and ask him which drill bit size he bores the comps with, and which tapered reamer he uses for the comp holes. I would tell you, but my gear is in a different location than my computer tonight. I purchased one of these drills and tapered reamers and use them to clean my comps after every 500 rounds. I tried the solvent and bore brush routine, but it requires far more time and patience than I possess! I chuck the drill in a vice and gently slide the comp over it, carefully turning by hand, to clean out the majority of the lead residue. Using a tap handle, I VERY CAREFULLY clean out the tapered comp ports. I wasn't so careful with a couple of my comps and they had to be cleaned up in a mill after I buggered up the exit holes. This process takes 5 minutes max, and makes the comp look brand new. If you go longer than 500 rounds, the buildup will be substantial and will impair the efficiency of the comp.

Hope this helps!

Good Shootin',

TGR

Drop Ray an e-mail and ask him which drill bit size he bores the comps with, and which tapered reamer he uses for the comp holes...

Thanks TGR. I think I'm too ham fisted for this. I'll try the soaking and bore brush–in–a–drill route first.

If it doesn't work, we'll see.

• 3 months later...

This is probably a more general question for the S&W model 41, but it might fit here...

With the optics/sights attached the barrels, how well do they hold zero if the barrel is removed and replaced?

What I am wondering is, how well they would work as a switch top?

Try soaking it in Kroil for a day or two, then the plastic pick should work. Once it's clean, spray the inside with Dillon case lube every couple hundred rounds.

Edited by Toolguy

This is probably a more general question for the S&W model 41, but it might fit here...

With the optics/sights attached the barrels, how well do they hold zero if the barrel is removed and replaced?

I haven't seen any change with mine at all. Next time I shoot groups with it I'll shoot a couple then remove/replace and see if it shifts. I can't imagine why it would though. R,

I can't speak to the "Steel Challenge" barrel, but between Renee and I, we have at least 5 barrels ranging from a factory steel sights, factory with an Aimpoint Comp, older Clark Custom w/ weaver cuts and C-more, and a couple of new Clark Custom with picatinny cuts and C-mores (1 plastic and 1 aluminum)...

She switches barrels at STC Nationals between Combo and the Pistol event right on the line... The barrel change itself makes NO difference whatsoever... I've taken mine off and on tens of times to clean et al... and I've never had to re-zero.

The design of the Model 41 specifically lends itself to switching barrels and barrel/optic combos. :)

Hi Flex:

Absolutely no change in zero whatsoever. You can take the barrel off and on 100 times and go shoot a bullseye match with it. Additionally, I have switched almost entirely to aluminum C-Mores, even on the .22's, and have no wandering zero issues. It only took us 20 years to figure out that the perfect .22 racegun already existed. The M41 with a Bully Steel Challenge barrel is probably the most entertaining "race" gun I've ever owned...and that's saying alot!

Good Shootin',

TGR

Hi Flex:

Absolutely no change in zero whatsoever. You can take the barrel off and on 100 times and go shoot a bullseye match with it. Additionally, I have switched almost entirely to aluminum C-Mores, even on the .22's, and have no wandering zero issues. It only took us 20 years to figure out that the perfect .22 racegun already existed. The M41 with a Bully Steel Challenge barrel is probably the most entertaining "race" gun I've ever owned...and that's saying alot!

Good Shootin',

TGR

Yeah, but where do I get one of those cool magwells man!!! Inquiring minds want to know!

• 1 month later...

I like using my 10 shot S&W 617 revo for rimfire in Steel Challenge. Feed reliability is excellent! :roflol: It's really challenging and a ton of fun trying to work a revo as fast as a .22 auto. (I have won a few club matches against the autos) And it's a great cross trainer for my 8 shot 627s.

Does this have something to do with SC barrels for a M41? :blink:

Edited by G-ManBart

There is a new barrel "possibly" coming to market from another source. I was told how it would be machined and I am looking foward to get a demo. I will post an update when I get it...

DVC,

Sandro

Rats....Ray's site no longer has links to the barrel section. :(

I just emailed Ray. He replied he's retiring (why the old ray-vin page is down), but he's turned the bully barrel design & production over to another party. He said to watch the forums (he didn't mention any by name) for when they'll become available and how much they will cost.

Rats....Ray's site no longer has links to the barrel section. :(

I just emailed Ray. He replied he's retiring (why the old ray-vin page is down), but he's turned the bully barrel design & production over to another party. He said to watch the forums (he didn't mention any by name) for when they'll become available and how much they will cost.

That's good news. I can't imagine I'll wear mine out too quickly, but I know lots of other folks would like one, and if I get more serious about SC I'll have to build a backup gun. R,

Man, I'm glad I got one of his last barrels! Are there any other mods that should be done to the M41 besides this barrel? Thanks

Not much...lots of folks put the Herret grips on them, maybe a lighter recoil spring and maybe a little bit of trigger work (doesn't need much). That's about it really. R,

Man, I'm glad I got one of his last barrels! Are there any other mods that should be done to the M41 besides this barrel? Thanks

Not much...lots of folks put the Herret grips on them, maybe a lighter recoil spring and maybe a little bit of trigger work (doesn't need much). That's about it really. R,

Thanks G-Man. I'll look for the trigger job to be done soon but other than that, I'm going to enjoy shooting that baby. The barrel is even better than the pictures of it - Ray does some great work!