Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challege Barrel for your M41

G-ManBart

Man, I'm glad I got one of his last barrels! Are there any other mods that should be done to the M41 besides this barrel? Thanks

Not much...lots of folks put the Herret grips on them, maybe a lighter recoil spring and maybe a little bit of trigger work (doesn't need much). That's about it really. R,

I picked up a set of Herrett grips for my Model 41 several months back but I actually like the factory grips better. The Herrett grips have an edge that digs into my hand and makes it uncomfortable. I may have to dremel the Herretts or I doubt I'll ever use them. Have you or anyone else experienced this?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone run into any certain models(date produced) of 41 that are better or worse to put this barrel on? Have there been any design changes that would affect the installation of a Bully barrel? I have seen some models from 20 years ago that really look almost brand new. Just wondering if it matters to put it on a newer model or older model. Thanks for any more info...

It is very easy to get the edge of of the Herrett grips with sand paper on a small block of wood. Start with 150 grit and take the edge down to where you want it and clean it up with 400 grit and then 600 grit. You can seal the edge with carnuba wax.

It is very easy to get the edge of of the Herrett grips with sand paper on a small block of wood. Start with 150 grit and take the edge down to where you want it and clean it up with 400 grit and then 600 grit. You can seal the edge with carnuba wax.

Thanks. I will give it a shot.

Man, I'm glad I got one of his last barrels! Are there any other mods that should be done to the M41 besides this barrel? Thanks

Not much...lots of folks put the Herret grips on them, maybe a lighter recoil spring and maybe a little bit of trigger work (doesn't need much). That's about it really. R,

I picked up a set of Herrett grips for my Model 41 several months back but I actually like the factory grips better. The Herrett grips have an edge that digs into my hand and makes it uncomfortable. I may have to dremel the Herretts or I doubt I'll ever use them. Have you or anyone else experienced this?

Oh yeah...I took my Dremel to my Herrett's the day I got them! I used a fine grit sanding drum on mine and simply wiped the areas down with an oily rag. After a little use you wouldn't even notice where I sanded without looking closely...and I took off a fair amount. R,

Has anyone run into any certain models(date produced) of 41 that are better or worse to put this barrel on? Have there been any design changes that would affect the installation of a Bully barrel? I have seen some models from 20 years ago that really look almost brand new. Just wondering if it matters to put it on a newer model or older model. Thanks for any more info...

The gun I put mine on was from roughly 1972. I had to relieve a little bit of the front of the barrel where the slide rails overlap, but that was it...and I think even that was unusual. Typically, most M41 experts will tell you to stay with guns earlier than around A430000 or get one that was made in the last ten years or so (I'd have to check the serial number range from a reference). Still, if you find a good deal on an in between gun I wouldn't shy away from it...they're pretty simple and most can be made to run 100% with little work. R,

Thanks G-man! I have been looking and looking and I think I have finally decided to go with a new one. Used ones almost always go between 750-900 and I can get a brand new one for $920 so I think I'll go that route.

Thanks for the info, can't wait to get mine running...

There are some Model 41s that the firing pin does not line up correctly with aftermarket barrel chambers. Clark Gun Co can provide you with the information and also correct the problem. There was a notice packaged with my Clark STC barrel regarding this.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Jaxshooter...I was assured by Ray B. that the model I purchased (very recent) would work with the barrel I purchased from him. I'll know next week when I get on the range and try it out. Thanks for the info though...

• 8 months later...

I had a little inside info that Bully Barrels was working with a very well known shooter on a Smith Model 41 barrel designed for SC matches and they're finally here. Very light weight, compensated and machined so that a C-more bolts directly to them, with no mounting rail necessary....gets the dot down low and saves some weight. Mine is on the way, but there are a few left. Got to this link and click on the "Steel Challenge" tab and there are some pics:

http://www.bullybarr...m/frbarrels.htm

Here is my MOD 41 Steel Pistol.

http://i485.photobuc...er/DSC00698.jpg

Did not want to pay the Bully Barrel price, so I bought a 7" barrel (lighter than the 5.5" std. barrel) had it cut to 5.5", fluted, and rear tang removed. Total cost including barrel $275.00. Magwell, grips, & top end can be removed and replaced with original bullseye components. So nothing was done to hack up my Mod 41. Trigger pull is 2 lbs.

Where'd you get that magwell? Could you post a pic from below?

Here is my MOD 41 Steel Pistol.

http://i485.photobuc...er/DSC00698.jpg

Did not want to pay the Bully Barrel price, so I bought a 7" barrel (lighter than the 5.5" std. barrel) had it cut to 5.5", fluted, and rear tang removed. Total cost including barrel $275.00. Magwell, grips, & top end can be removed and replaced with original bullseye components. So nothing was done to hack up my Mod 41. Trigger pull is 2 lbs.