Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another Mini-mart Movie...

Ron Ankeny

I went to the range last evening to tear down the props that we used for our special. Before I knocked the saw horses down that we used for the Mini-Mart, I set the stage up and shot it a couple of times. I have never seen myself on film and I thought it would be cool to set the camera up slightly in front of the shooter. The time in the video is .12 faster than what I shot in the match, down 6 (minor scoring sucks). When I watch the video it really makes me wonder how I managed to shoot this thing cold, in a match, at well over 100 per cent. Sorry about the file size, it's a pig. I still haven't figured out how to get a decent movie into a small file on a regular Web server.

Ron at the Mini-Mart

John:

The camera came from work so if I blasted it I would just report it stolen or blame it on the kids. :lol:

I am confused because the run on the tape was almost the same as the run at the match, but I know I didn't have transitions in the match like the ones in the tape. Where was I faster in the match?

Bill:

I can't tell you what the splits were because I didn't bother to look. The pistol is the CZ that I bought a week before the match that I have been complaining about in the gunsmithing forum. I would imagine somewhere in the range of .16-.18.

I think the sound is because the camera was down range and real close to the side berm. The sound also seems to change after the reload. Kinda weird.

I'm with Gorilla, I don't see how you could have been faster anywhere except the draw and the reload, and both of those looked pretty darn good.

This is the great thing about shooting, there's always something to work on, always someone like Ron or Sam (Burkett, TGO, etc.) to challenge you to improve. This forum is great because you have folks like Anderson saying that if you're not dry firing' you can't whine if you aren't getting better (rough paraphrase), encouraging folks to do the work. I need that.

You could mount any repeating pistol on a wheel of fortune, spin it, and no matter where it stopped, Ron could kick my butt with it (me shooting my limited blaster). Now that's motivation!

No way, man! I was just trying to think of a good nickname for you. Let's see... The Burner and Jet are taken, as is TGO and Bonedaddy. Maybe....The Educator!

I can see the Front Sight article now:

"Ron Ankeny, better known as the Educator, gave a lesson to the Big Dawgs at the 2004 Factory Gun Nationals, sweeping every stage with what has come to be known as "the Shoshoni Technique." All were amazed at the performance of the Educator, except anyone who has seen him shoot. See photo layout page 3!"

You need to get to some big matches and start schoolin' folks! :D

• 2 months later...

Crap, I wrote over the original clip. The one you now see is an example of visual impatience that I put online to show a guy. The stage was shot at a local match. I shot it with my CZ 75B. The paper targets are staggered in height with some poppers thrown in for good measure. The transitions are not only side to side, they are up and down. No matter how you shoot, the gun either goes up and down or you cross over. It was wicked. You start seated with the empty pistol and magazines on the table. At the buzzer you load up and shoot one each on the six paper targets (and the steel if you want) then reload and shoot one each on the paper again (and steel).

I missed the popper on the right side twice with the first magazine. I didn't call the first shot and I had to come back. When I came back I blew it but called the miss. I went ahead with the reload as a "controlled restart" because I was flustered. After the reload things went better. I lucked out and won the stage even with the misses.