Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass gods must be laughing

njl

Since I had virtually no .45acp brass, I recently ordered and received 2k WCC match brass from TJConevera. Today, when I got to the outdoor range, the part I was using had just been vacated by a pair who'd been shooting some of everything, and didn't pick up brass. There was 32acp, 9mm, .38special, and .45acp. After picking all that up and getting started shooting, a father and son showed up and asked if they could join me. They were shooting 9mm and .45acp, and didn't want their brass. In fact, when they saw me recovering mine, they started picking up theirs to give me.

It's nowhere near the 2k I bought...but a few more days like this, and I might not have bought 2k.

BTW...I don't know if I just lucked out or what, but the WCC match brass I bought which is advertised as "over 80% WCC Match" was actually about 98% WCC Match. As has become my habit, I sorted it all by headstamp...and as long as I was doing that, I figured I may as well count it to be sure I got what I paid for. The only negative...there was 1 AMERC case.

Good stuff. Occasionally, when there's no match to shoot or I can't get to it for some reason, I like to go to a local indoor range and do left and right handed slow fire groups. If there aren't too many people, I'll make a concerted effort to pick up my brass. The employees on rangemaster duty will go out of their way to push mine into my area even as they are sweeping up everyone elses. That's nice.

I have had this happen too. As I posted before it seems like alot of the "new gun owners" out there don't want their brass. I have picked up close to a thousand 9mm on a few occasions.

I have had this happen too. As I posted before it seems like alot of the "new gun owners" out there don't want their brass. I have picked up close to a thousand 9mm on a few occasions.

I think most people who don't reload have no interest in their brass. Most of them probably have no idea of its value. Funny thing is, I briefly talked about reloading with the father from the father and son pair that showed up. He asked what it cost me to reload. I told him around $6/box for 9mm and only a little more for .45acp, but that on top of the savings of roughly 50%, I also get exactly the ammo characteristics I want vs whatever you can find at Walmart or online. He said he'd been thinking about reloading and probably should get setup...all the while he's handing me his brass.

I started collecting my brass years ago, because I was reasonably certain I'd start reloading at some point. Even though I mostly shot Blazer, I still have thousands of 9mm brass.

The first thing I will say is..."Buy lottery tickets quick"! If you needed brass you should have bought it. You can never count on the "Brass gods" always being that good to you. I picked up .45 brass for $30/1000 (should have bought all he had) and new Starline for $70/1000 (shbahh!). Brass will stay good for ever (almost) and you never know when the Brass gods will turn against us!

JMHO

Richard

• 1 month later...

I have picked up and given away almost 10,000 pieces of .40 brass because I said I would never have one and last week I bought a Glock 24C, so now I am scrambling for brass. I know Mr. Murphy is laughing.

I have picked up and given away almost 10,000 pieces of .40 brass because I said I would never have one and last week I bought a Glock 24C, so now I am scrambling for brass. I know Mr. Murphy is laughing.

I did the same for years with 9mm. :wacko: