Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Egw Resizing Die In Square Deal??

I've almost decided to get a square deal press (I want a 650, but would rather spend the $$$ on components...) and have only one concern. I read that I can't use the Square Deal dies in any other press and don't know why. Will I be able to use the EGW die in this press? Also I found another another store, The Practical Shooting Institute, here that sells something similar the the EGW die only useing a dillon die. Anyone use these before??

Thanks!

Jeff

I was thinking along the same lines as you, Jeff.

What I ended up doing was getting the 650, no powdercheck, but with most of the other goodies (okay, no powder funnel sensor thingy either).

I bought a sturdy bench from OSH that easily holds everything and is a pain to move... that's a good thing and will be as important as the machine itself.

My opinion, go with the 650.

As far as being worried, the casefeeder and auto-index remove several steps that could cause you to get muddled. While I'm sure that the powdercheck would be an additional piece of mind, I didn't feel it was absolutely necessary. Keep your wits, get as much info as possible (the Dillon vid, Brian's Comp reloading vid, a few manuals for load starting points, and a wireless laptop so that you can hit up this forum quick if you have any questions ;) ), and everything should be fine.

Lemme know if you want to swing by and take a look at my setup.

The 650 is awsome but it does come with more "issues" than the square deal. If this is the last reloader you will ever buy get the 650 but if you want to learn about Dillion's and progressive machines the SDB isa good place to start. I have had a couple and now use a 650 but I have never been sorry to have started with a SDB. Dillion rocks. Best customer service in the industry. Nate

Nate's correct that SDB's are good starter units. And all Dillons hold their value very well (check eBay).

Whatever you get, mount a strong light over your bench so it shines down into the case before you put a bullet on. Every time you put that bullet on, look inside it and make sure there's powder there. Sometimes when you're flinging away madly on the handle, a powdercheck warning will register in your brain after you've already put a bullet on the case, which is no fun.

My 0.2 cents is that the 550B is a better starter loader than the SDB or the 650 because it's manual. Easier to go backward and check whether there's powder is in the case or if you double-charged. It's also easier to go more slowly until you get the feel. You can always move up to the 650 and get a chunk of your money back. BTW, I've got a SDB and a 550B--no comparison in terms of quality.