Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Putting my p14 on a diet

Pittbug

With an empty mag it's about 43oz. I'd like to put it on a diet so that it will make the 41oz CDP limit. I have a 1 piece S&A magwell and a short guide rod.

So far I have ti firing pin, mainspring cap and hammer strut. I know there's really not a lot of savings there, but I was in the mood to tinker. I found caspian has a Ti grip safety, which I'm considering because it's bigger, so there may be more worthwhile savings there.

I can't touch the slide, so I'm wondering what other options I have. I'd even consider some wacky things.

Some thoughts:

- undercut the trigger guard

- do some melt work around the trigger guard

- put more holes in the grip

- thin the dust cover

- drill "inspection" holes in the back of the mag

If I was looking to skinny up one of those guys, I'd:

- Lighten material under the grip panels

- Thin and checker the front strap

- Thin up the slide a smidge

- Lightened full length guide rod

- Stay away from as many Ti parts as I could

- Flatten and cut up the top of slide and serrate (whatever is IDPA legal there)

- Maybe cut some wider flats/"serrations" in the slide

With all that though, 43 oz. isn't bad. I think that's what my singlestack (and my Open gun actually) weighs in at.

Rich

I think S&A has an aluminum magwell, I have heard that they do but I’ve never seen one. That alone should get you under the 41oz limit.

You can put a plastic short government guide rod in.

Lighten the frame under the grips.

Loose the grips, (probably save you more then the Ti parts do and its free).

I’ve seen plastic rear sights that replace the factory rear sight.

That’s all I can think of right now

If I was looking to skinny up one of those guys, I'd:

- Lighten material under the grip panels

- Thin and checker the front strap

- Thin up the slide a smidge

- Lightened full length guide rod

- Stay away from as many Ti parts as I could

- Flatten and cut up the top of slide and serrate (whatever is IDPA legal there)

- Maybe cut some wider flats/"serrations" in the slide

With all that though, 43 oz. isn't bad. I think that's what my singlestack (and my Open gun actually) weighs in at.

Rich

I would agree with Rich. The only Ti part I trust is the MS cap. I currently have a Ti strut that I'm thinking of changing out for a standard one. But I would never use a Ti FP.

Just my .02 cents.

I would agree with Rich. The only Ti part I trust is the MS cap. I currently have a Ti strut that I'm thinking of changing out for a standard one. But I would never use a Ti FP.

Just my .02 cents.

Are you concerned that a Ti FP doesn't have enough momentum, resulting in light primer strikes?

Oh, another option for the list is to change out the hammer for a skeltonized version, that should be pretty good. Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I think I might try some tape on the front strap, and if I like it, I can remove material there. It's already got some lines, so I could just go down as deep as the grooves, then cover it up with tape.

Your biggest gains on this project are to replace the magwell with tha alum unit and then install a short govt guide rod assy. Those two items wll get you to the wt. you want. You could also cut some material under the grips. The ti parts are money spent for very small gains.---------------Larry

Your Para is good to go right now in ESP. Plus you get to load 10 plus one. That means you won't have to do that extra reload on 18 round stages. :rolleyes:

You can even shoot your 165 power factor ammo. :ph34r:

I'd keep it the way it is and just shoot ESP, Limited 10 or Limited. :cheers: