Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best timer to purchase?

ironb

I've got a Pocket Pro II, CED 7000 and CED 8000. If I had to pick just one I'd probably go with the CED 7000, although I like the larger display and ability to use the headset on the 8000. It might help if you told us what you didn't like about the Pocket Pro II. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

I think I'm going to get the PACT club timer 3.

http://shootersconnection.com/store/produc...products_id=747

I did just download an app for my iphone as well which is a shooting timer.

http://shootingsportsblog.com/bulletboy/iphone-shot-timer/

It's a freebie, so I'll have to check it out and see how well it does, but it looks pretty cool.

The reason I like the PACT timer is that I can see the display while it's clipped to my belt (ie, i just look down). the CED i would need to take it off my belt to see it.

The reason I like the PACT timer is that I can see the display while it's clipped to my belt (ie, i just look down). the CED i would need to take it off my belt to see it.

If you've decided why are you asking for opinions? ;)

The belt clip for the CED 7000 (I did have them backwards above) lets you look at the display without taking it off your belt.....it's hinged. R,

Just seeing if there was something that I missed out there. I've seen the CED, the PACT, and the pocket pro ii. Between the CED and PACT it seems the display on the PACT sitting on my belt would be easier to read. Now if people have had a lot of reliability issues with the PACT, then I would go the CED route instead. :)

Just seeing if there was something that I missed out there. I've seen the CED, the PACT, and the pocket pro ii. Between the CED and PACT it seems the display on the PACT sitting on my belt would be easier to read. Now if people have had a lot of reliability issues with the PACT, then I would go the CED route instead. :)

You'll see about fifty 7000s for every club timer you'll see. I think it's a versatility thing. The CED is rechargable, the battery lasts a long time, you can clip it on your belt (and still see it), you can put it in your shirt pocket (and it'll work), you can put it on a wrist band and shoot, put it in a mag pouch, hang it from a lanyard, and I even once saw it on an arm band like an i-pod. The fact that it's so small and light makes it handy if you want to wear it while shooting a match using the spy mode. That way it'll pick up everything from your first shot on....ask the RO what your first shot time was and you'll be able to review your entire run, splits, transitions, reloads etc. I first saw a GM doing this at Area-2 and it seemed like a great idea...he's also the one with the arm band setup.

I don't know about PACT these days, but CED is a pretty big supporter of USPSA (official chrono etc). R,

I just got a 7000 and like it. I use the belt clip, and the flip up hinge makes it easy to read. I have the armband too, but find that I don't like the feeling of something strapped to my arm while I'm shooting.

A useful feature for me is the volume adjustment so I can dry fire at home late w/o bothering the family.

If you get one, don't make my mistakes - go ahead and order a skin and battery pack.

I use the CED7000 for practice, and love it. It's so small I just keep the thing in my range bag. It only needs to be charged about once a month. And I like all the "additional features" that it gives you, besides just being a timer.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the CED...I love it. By far the best of all the timers. Not even close. No contest. Do I need to say more? If you're thinking of getting a timer, just go buy a CED 7000 and save yourself the headache of buying 2 other times before you pick the CED!!!

Got the CED...I love it. By far the best of all the timers. Not even close. No contest. Do I need to say more? If you're thinking of getting a timer, just go buy a CED 7000 and save yourself the headache of buying 2 other times before you pick the CED!!!

I hate to say I told you so but, I (we really) told you so...... :roflol:

I crack myself up sometimes...lol

Glad to hear you like the 7000!

I have a 7000 (among others :wacko: ) and use it a lot. I like it the most when I'm practicing by myself. The only issue I have with it is that the beep is such a high frequency that some (mostly one) of our shooters have a problem hearing it. I wish the freq. was adjustable.

other than that, I love it.

dj

PS

At our club matches we use the Pocket Pro by Competitive Dynamics. It's nearly foolproof. IE one button operation so you don't spend a lot of time getting used to it if you have never used it, and it is very hardy.

The 7000 is one-button as well. ;)

I hand mine out and let the newer SO's just hit START and read the times. On occasions where it might have missed the final shot, or the one time that it picked up the slide being closed at UASC 15 seconds after the stage was completed, I'll come over there and review it for them... But that's getting rarer, since 5 other guys who SO, have followed my lead and bought a 7000 once they played with mine.

The guy that let his slide slam closed, and get picked up by the timer, was glad the 7000 stores 10 strings. He didn't start to wonder until 3 shooters of equivalent skill finished a small indoor IDPA stage in half the time that he did. ;)

Edited by MemphisMechanic