Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Full Size Pickup MPG

I'm driving about 70 miles a day back and forth to work. I get around 18-20mpg in my 2002 Chevy extended cab with 5.3 liter, auto tranny, and 3.73 gears.

Around town driving gets more like 15, 16, 17mpg.

On a couple of trips between California and Texas, o'er mountain and across burning desert, where I could just set the cruise control and not slow down until the next fuel stop, where I gassed up, got a snack, drink, bathroom break, and back on the interstate until I need gas again, I got 20.1mpg running 75 in AZ and NM, 70 in CA and TX.

I've got a camper shell, which might help slightly with highway mileage. (But not as much as many people like to believe.)

Pulling a little trailer on my last trip back from California cost me 5mpg off my usual mileage (got 15.1).

DSCF1324a.jpg

I had a 2004 Z71 4x4 extended cab Chevy (before my mom got it and the payments in exchange for the '02 which was paid for :P ). It has the same engine, transmission, and differential gearing and sports a similar camper shell. Mileage around town seemed about the same. Highway mileage was identical, to the decimal point. So the transfer case did not cut into the mileage like many will tell you it does, either that or just being two years newer made up for it.

201a.jpg

Edited by mgood

2005 F350 FX4 Crewcab Longbed with 6.0 Powerstroke...14-15 mpg mixed, no freeways on Maui :rolleyes: Don't have either the 2005 F150 behind the yellow beast or the Kawasaki in front of it anymore...friggin' economy.

post-5998-1239388182_thumb.jpg

I pulled the trigger and got a decent deal on a 2005 Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab 5.3 4x4 with Leather Interior and power everything. I can't wait to see what it will do.

I had a mustang that I had just sold and need something more useful and kid friendly. I use to get 21-22 with the Mustang(17 if I played with it) and figured that if I can get 18-19 on the highway then I really will not notice it that much.

I will say that it does feel weird being that high while driving. I feel like a kid with a new toy!

Just looked at a comparison in car and driver magazine. They listed their observed mpg #'s after their testing to be.

Dodge Ram 345 ci -----14mpg

Ford f150 330 ci---------15mpg

Chevy silverado 325 ci--- 18mpg

Quite a bit different then the companies advertised mpg claims

Those are not claims, they are based on actual tests. However, the test used for the highway fuel economy number was developed back in the 1970's, when the speed limit was much lower than it is today. The highest speed reached during the test is about 60mph and very few of us EVER drive that slow on the highway !

The way that MPG is calculated is undergoing a lot of changes that all of us will see in the next year or so. It will be much more "real world" than it currently is today.

2001 GMC Sierra. 6.0 engine with full time all-wheel drive. 207,000 miles. If I drive 5 under on the speed limit on the highway, I get about 18-19 mpg, on the other hand when I drive 10+ on the speed limit it drops to about 16. My around town mileage runs about 15.

I guess I should mention that this is with 100% gasoline. When you start getting the ethanol mix, your mileage will suffer.

fwiw

dj

Very good point on the ethanol. Ethanol is great in concept but it just isn't cost effective when you factor in the 30% loss in fuel economy!

Edited by nwb01

With the crappy gas that we have my 06 F250 4x4 Superduty Crew with the 5.4L gets about 12+ city and I have not calced it for Highway, because we haven't taken it on any long trips yet. We bought this used in Jan. to replace an 89 Merc. Sable and and 85 F250 with a 460 and C6 Auto (7mpg <_< ).

Right now I am getting about 6mpg less than my mom's 6.0 Diesel in an Identical configuration.

1990 Chevy 1/2 ton 4X4 with auto trans and less than 40,000 orginal miles (it doesn't get driven much). It gets about 12-13 in town and 15-16 on the highway. With a full load of compacted snow in the back that weighed about 600 lbs. it does pretty good on the snow covered roads.

Snow_Truck.bmp

I have an 07 New style 2500 HD Duramax Crew and bettween 48 gallons of extra fuel in an Aux tank in the box and 2 highlift jacks and tools and a chain saw ext. and 450 lbs of Steel Bars for traction in the very back of the box, it weights @ 9980 Lbs

62 mph flat and smooth 23.2 highway limited stops

62 Average rural highway 19 to 20

72 interstate 18.9

with 35 ft 5th wheel that is 13 feet tall and weighs 14,000 lbs

@ 62 = 13.9

@ 72 = 11.6 interstate

I am very happy with it lots of power for up over hills and mountains.

My 2007 Toyota Tundra 2WD with the 5.7 V8 engine gets 14.5 mpg in the city and 16.5 to 17 mpg on the highway. It is a terrific truck.

The second photo is another truck that does not get very good mpg at all. :rolleyes:

post-5360-1239584756_thumb.jpg

post-5360-1239584925_thumb.jpg

Edited by XD Niner

One in front is an 01 Super Duty V10 4x4. 14 no load, 11 loaded.

One in back is a 98 Mutt. It got about 3 gallons per mile --- but they were TOUGH miles.

towing.jpg

Edited by Seth

1994 Dodge 2500 4x4 deeeezullll.. 24mpg on the highway and about 16mpg in town but that is because the tranny is setup with a high-stall. Oh and it does all that with 504hp at the rear wheels :) and it is cheap and paid for! more money for blue things soon.