Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building a G35 Upper

uscbigdawg

Post some pictures. I am thinking about getting a Caspian 17 Slide to build an Open Glock.

You should need the following for a functioning slide

Barrel

Firing Pin

Firing Pin Spring

Firing Pin Spring Cup

Firing Pin Spacer Sleeve

Firing Pin Channel Liner

Firing Pin Safety

Firing Pin Safety Spring

Extractor

Spring loaded bearing

Extractor Depressor Plunger

Extractor Depressor Plunger Spring

Slide Cover Plate

I believe that is all of the parts needed besides sights for a functioning slide. Hope this helps.

You can get all the small part guts from OMB Express for probably under $75 (Lone Wolf Dist has a diagram of the parts).

KKM/BarSto bbl (though the factory bbl isn't bad at all).

Sevigny/Warren sights, Dawson if you want adjustables.

THE or equivalent GR.

ISMI recoil spring.

Your receiver, of course, is GTG.

Edited by kevin c

You're going to shoot this in Lim/L10, right? The Caspian slide, if it lacks the milled out section on top, and if it has other changes the OEM slide doesn't (front cocking serrations or a lowered ejection port, for instance), is a no go in Production.

Kev

I figured. Basically, in not wanting to try and track down a G35 upper (unless y'all know of one available) this was the option I turned to and yeah it's for Production. If I can't get it legal, then it's back to a cool carry gun. ;)

Rich

I figured. Basically, in not wanting to try and track down a G35 upper (unless y'all know of one available) this was the option I turned to and yeah it's for Production. If I can't get it legal, then it's back to a cool carry gun. ;)

Rich

According to other threads on here, even a Glock made 35 slide wouldn't be production legal on your 22 frame.

So then of these, what are the cool parts to have?

Rich

(i.e. firing pin, springs, spring cups, etc.)

Rich,

Vanek probably has the best trigger parts out there. If that's too spendy, Lightning Strike's Striker Safety Plunger and spring, Lone Wolf's 3.5 lb connector, and (depending on a recoil spring change) Wolff's reduced power striker spring and some polish will get you home. I'd go stock for the rest of the parts.....

According to other threads on here, even a Glock made 35 slide wouldn't be production legal on your 22 frame.

Somebody else asked me abut that recently.

I just don't know how I'd be able to tell them apart. They are identical...

Wouldn't that be the same as saying a hammer from this Production legal CZ can go onto this other model of Production legal CZ.

(sorry for the drift, Rich...if somebody points out the thread in the rules section on this, I'll merge it over...if need be)

IIRC, the BOD ruled that switching frames and/or slides is leagal as long as it meets all other criteria (ie. weight, no exterior mods. etc...).

So then of these, what are the cool parts to have?

Rich

(i.e. firing pin, springs, spring cups, etc.)

Rich,

Vanek probably has the best trigger parts out there. If that's too spendy, Lightning Strike's Striker Safety Plunger and spring, Lone Wolf's 3.5 lb connector, and (depending on a recoil spring change) Wolff's reduced power striker spring and some polish will get you home. I'd go stock for the rest of the parts.....

+1 on the Vanek trigger. He makes a trigger system that is production legal also. Gives a nice smooth pull & crisp break. I have his Super Trigger on my Limited G35 and love it. BIG difference from the stock trigger on my G22. Well worth the money.

So from that, as long as the upper is OEM, AND complies with Production rules (which is all that matters), it's okey dokey.

Rich

WEEELLLLLLL........

Please note the red highlight I put into JA's replay to my last question - technically, the receiver has to be in the same caliber as the original gun. So that means 17/34 or 22/35, but not 17/35 or 17/22.

And, yes, as noted in the thread above and also the one referred to, the small frame glock receivers of all chamberings are identical save for the ejector, which is an exchangeble internal part, so, like I said in the last thread, either they would have to have a model specific serial # list, or you would have to tell them.

Just be careful of the Caspian slide. I have a 17 slide and it is nice but I was getting "light strikes", turns out the firing pin hole (slot) was out of spec. Caspian said they would exchange it but I didn't want to wait for another and have the same problem so a little (precision) filing and all was good.

• 7 months later...

I would go with Lone Wolf over caspian. I had one one mine and was just junk. The first one the firing pin hole actually broke at the breechface (almost looked like a bushing popped out). Sent it back. Second one the firing pin safety wasnt even close to fitting, the firing pin channel liner wouldnt fit right, firing pin would rub. Wanted me to send it back for a 3rd one. I figured 2 chances was more than enough. Vanek said he also had numerous problems with them putting triggers in them, FP holes way too tight. I understand some fitting but shouldnt involve makeing holes bigger for the parts to go in because they were milled too tight. There are areas where tight tolerence is good. those areas are not one of them. The lone wolf is much more drop in