Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rattling Noisy 1911 Grip Safeties

dubious

Why is the wide grip safety so noisy on 1911s? If I shake my SA 1911 Loaded, you can hear the safety rattling about. If I touch it in a glancing way it makes a lot of noise. I'm a target shooter more than a self defense guy, but it just seems weird to me. Is there a way to modify this?

Why is the wide grip safety so noisy on 1911s? If I shake my SA 1911 Loaded, you can hear the safety rattling about. If I touch it in a glancing way it makes a lot of noise. I'm a target shooter more than a self defense guy, but it just seems weird to me. Is there a way to modify this?

take out the ambi safety and see if the noise goes away..

then you can get new safety and have it fit in.

I'm not exactly sure what you meant, but I'm referring to the grip safety. I already did remove the Left Handed safety... maybe I should put it back in?

See if the grip safety moves around freely without any tension. If so you can just bend the grip safety tang on the sear spring out some to put more pressure on the grip safety and therefore keep it from rattling.

Chris

Winner. The right most leg, bend it backwards a bit more until the safety stops rattling.

Sorry, I thought the AMBI SAFETY..+1 bend the RIGHT MOST leaf spring or

take it to a gunsmith and have it pinned down(shut down the safety feature) if you like.

See if the grip safety moves around freely without any tension. If so you can just bend the grip safety tang on the sear spring out some to put more pressure on the grip safety and therefore keep it from rattling.

Chris

Winner. The right most leg, bend it backwards a bit more until the safety stops rattling.

Damn! That one I knew the answer too... it happens so rarely I was all excited to be able to answer. lol