Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti grip undercut

shooterbenedetto

I was thinking of doin an undercut on my sti 2011 grip but

I realized that it may increase the flip of the gun because th grip is higher?

i tried gripping the gun lower and tried to flip the gun by tapping the comp and

the gun seems to not flip as much. I tried gripping the gun inside the trigger guard

and tapped up on the compensator and the gun seems to flip more? My open gun is set

up and has more weight on the front of the gun. Need input from all...Thanks.

Hi grip definitely more better! :D

FatFreeLSgrip.jpg

Undergrip is definitely comfortable on the grip.

I just came back from the range and the UNDER GRIP definitely made my gun flip more!!

Installed the standard grip and GUN WAS TAME DOWN.

Becuase my OPEN gun is heavier on the comp side..Standard grip works better.

Quite strange :mellow:

That would be the oposite effect that physics would dictate.

Do you live very near a worm hole or other anomily? :roflol:

In ANY event you have to go with what works for YOU :cheers:

Jim

Strange but TRUE!! this proves in our sport that we must try it

to prove that our modification works or not.

Ok, a few things. If you went to the range believing it would flip more, it probably would, you're origional methodology in testing empty was flawed. Recoil impulses act in the opposite direction of bullet travel, or back towards your hands. You tested it by pushing up on the comp, which is a totally different direction of energy. I assume you did this alone, which means not only did you not have a proper "stance" but you were gripping it one hand only. A more effective test would be to have someone stand to the side and whack the muzzle back into your hand with a 2X4 while in your normal shooting stance and see what happens.

Secondly, everyones hands are different, since the high cut grips are also typically part of an overall grip reduction, you may not be able to grip the gun as well as a full sized grip, you may benifit from building the grip up with epoxy or bondo then grip taping it.

Lastly, well I'll just quote BE from the book: "The grip safety should make your hand feel like it's locked very securely into the gun and should help position your trigger finger where it can work the best. Not all grip safeties are shaped alike, so you should try different ones." "The only style of grip safeties I really don't have any use for are the extremely high ones. First I'm not a real big believer in the idea that just using some device that turns down muzzle flip is going to increase your shooting ability. But mostly, I just don't like the way they position my hand on the gun; it feels like I should be pulling the trigger with my middle finger." "Cutting up underneath the trigger guard is another popular modification. For me, it's the same story as with the high safeties. The combination of a high safety and an undercut trigger guard would position my hands so high on the gun that any advantage from lower muzzle flip would be far offset by moving my trigger finger into a position where my control there would suffer." "Ideally, the trigger finger position should be a straightaway type of thing so that the finger is not angling up or down. Someone with extremely small hands might even want to look for a grip safety that places his hands lower on the gun than most do; someone with large hands may benefit from the higher safety and undercutting the trigger guard"

You need to fit the gun to you, not go with a trend.

To add to what Pat said [which was very good] I would add -

Depending on your hand & especially your right middle finger, undercutting the trigger guard can shift the gun in your hand, somewhere between nothing and 15 degrees down. As in, same old stance now points the barrel down. To compensate, you tend to bend the strong-side elbow more, or unlock the strong-hand grip more, and raise the sights up.

That might make the gun flip more. OR it might bring the point down to a better position for you AND put your hand higher & give better control. Most people, the latter happens. Some people, like you & me, the former happens.

One thing that WONT happen is: the gun won't point higher. Either it stays the same [often guys with meaty hands] or point lower [guys with thinner hands]. You might hear that high-cutting the grip-safety area will bring the point back up but in my experience, the position of the thumb-safety pins is a big limiting factor. So then you are left with going to an arched or wedge mainspring housing. Which isn't a bad thing usually.

Many guys like Leo9x25 and Sandro like an undercut trigger guard & arched MSH combo. If you like the point of a Glock then you might try my gun's setup, which is a Wedge MSH and NO undercutting. For me, raising the back of the gun helps twice as much as the best compensator ever made, because now my arm isn't bent so badly & I have more leverage.

The STI/SV standard plastic grip is a little thicker in the trigger-guard, so undercutting sort of just brings the distances and angles back to a standard 1911 or Para configuration. Again, depending on your hand, this either makes no difference or else points the gun a little lower.

HTH

Edited by eric nielsen

Actually, if the rear of your grip is in the same place, raising your fingers on the front will increase flip.

This is due to the shorter moment arm that your fingers would have to keep the bottom of the grip moving forward (which is what happens when the muzzle climbs). Strictly speaking for muzzle control, you want the back of your hand as high as possible, and your fingers as low as possible. Glock might have been onto something with that grip angle...