Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speedy Trigger Finger

Lee King

The real question here is how to improve the speed you can physically pull the trigger.

Its not a question of how important fast splits are

Is it training? an exercise? just how do you go about this ?

I think this is a VERY valid question...and would really like to hear some opinions :)

Jim

However the tension that causes trigger freeze is deadly to good scores.

Good points by all but the above quote is really the gem in this thread. Several years back I suffered horribly from trigger freeze. I got over the trigger freeze by developing a neutral grip, practicing timing drills, and isolating the action of my trigger finger. A natural by-product of that training regime was a trigger finger that moves independently from the rest of my strong hand, isolated from the grip,and is tension free. My splits on the 7 yards and under hoser targets are plenty sporty routinely running as fast as I can track the gun visually, get my hits, and not get out of time with the gun. I suppose that should be the goal regardless of shot difficulty and what is on the timer. Obviously, split times will change depending on what you accept visually.

While it is true transitions are more important than splits, and tasks performed off of the trigger can save more time than you will ever gain on the trigger, splits do have their place. I have won more than one speed shoot and/or classifier based on splits. Big deal, those stages have so few points...you know the rest. :cheers:

PS Before anyone asks, one of the ROs reviewed the timer at our last club match. My hoser splits routinely run .10-.13 and have no value other than to confirm Celebrex works.

Edited by Ron Ankeny

The real question here is how to improve the speed you can physically pull the trigger.

Its not a question of how important fast splits are

Is it training? an exercise? just how do you go about this ?

I think this is a VERY valid question...and would really like to hear some opinions :)

Jim

You are already able to physically pull the trigger fast enough for .10 splits. What's holding you back is your mind.

If I step up to try and shoot the fastest splits I can, I couldn't get below .18 to save my life. But during a stage, when you're in the zone, .15 and under happen all the time.

My control/abandon knob goes to 11...

Why don't you just make 10 faster, and make 10 be the top number, and make that a little faster?

(pause) Mine goes to eleven

post-690-1238789880_thumb.jpg

Edited by Flexmoney
to add appropriat pic.

The best splits I've shot don't seem fast at all. My vision is seeing things at a greater rate, and therefore nothing seems fast. Look at it later on tape and it will be a nice .15 split, but at the time it doesn't appear so to my mind because I'm just pressing the trigger as I see the sights on the target. There is no preception of speed.

I've recently had this realization come to me while watching a video of myself after a match. While shooting, It sure didn't feel fast, but watching the video for the first time, I was surprised at the split (granted it was an up close hoser target). But my main point is that it didn't feel fast. It's the first two shots on the second stage in this video:

I've also finally learned how to shoot only as fast as I can see. I'm no longer shooting 25 yard targets the same as I would a 7 yard target. All the advice here about letting your vision control the trigger speed is great advice. Edited by notasccrmom

Just for grins one day I asked a buddy to relax and just hit the trigger as fast as he could twice pointing the gun at the berm. This guy was a low C shooter, accurate but slow, and I couldn't believe his times. I had him do it a dozen times. His quickest was .10 his slowest was .13 and he did half a dozen in a row at .11.

I was "working", and that was the problem I'm sure, to get under .20.

Yet this guy never even came close to me in a match. But he always did well in his class. When he shot in a match he just went with what he knew he could do and got his hits. He was always a threat to win his class, I think he ended up in B before he drifted away.

That thing between our ears can sure be confusing.