Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smith ICORE revolver

Peakbagr

I have a mdl 625 with 5"bbl and shooting my first match this weekend.

Really like the large frame 625. Can someone recommend a similar stainless model in .38/.357?

I understand some are available in 7 or 8 round cylinders. Are revo capacities in excess of 6 shots acceptable in ICORE or does the higher capacity revolvers bump you up into more open gun types?

Also, is there a particular model that is suitable for extensive gunsmithing? Buy one used and have smith do their thing to trigger, sights, cylinder lock, barrel, etc?

Thanks

I have a mdl 625 with 5"bbl and shooting my first match this weekend.

Really like the large frame 625. Can someone recommend a similar stainless model in .38/.357?

I understand some are available in 7 or 8 round cylinders. Are revo capacities in excess of 6 shots acceptable in ICORE or does the higher capacity revolvers bump you up into more open gun types?

Also, is there a particular model that is suitable for extensive gunsmithing? Buy one used and have smith do their thing to trigger, sights, cylinder lock, barrel, etc?

Thanks

The Smith 627's pretty much rule ICORE. They are 8 shot guns. A stock one with iron sights is a limited gun. You could shoot the same gun with dot (Cmore, OKO, Aimpoint.....) that puts you in open.

Now if you shoot a 6 shot gun that puts you in a different catagory of limited but still limited.

This is the quick version.

The even more simple answer is buy a 8 shot Smith 627 some hearthco moon clips, holster, belt and North Mountian moon clip holder and you will be set up to shoot limited.

Now if you shoot a 6 shot gun that puts you in a different catagory of limited but still limited.

"a different catagory of limited"???

Still considered limited just a special category.

Is there a better way to explain it?

You still shoot limited, I don't think they seperate recognize it in open I could be wrong.

You still shoot limited, I don't think they seperate recognize it in open I could be wrong.

I thought 6 shoooters and 8 shooters shot together, just open or limited and the stages's were six round neutral?

I thought 6 shoooters and 8 shooters shot together, just open or limited and the stages's were six round neutral?

They are both limited but a special award has been given, at the Southern Regional, for "High Six Shooter"

High six shooter just counts down places froim the top in general order.

let's say shooter 1 is a six shooter, they win, next shooter has aa 7 or 8 shot, they would be 2nd or 3rd limited .

The Six sho shooter would be the Limited Category winner and the special recognition category champion.

High six shooter just counts down places froim the top in general order.

let's say shooter 1 is a six shooter, they win, next shooter has aa 7 or 8 shot, they would be 2nd or 3rd limited .

The Six sho shooter would be the Limited Category winner and the special recognition category champion.

That's clear but the score sheets make no reference to if shooters are using 6, 7, or 8 shot revolvers. You're only open or limited. I just wondered where "High 6 Shooter" placed overall at the Southern Regional. There's always the question of how disadvantaged 6 shooters are against 8 shooters when the stages are 6 rd neutral.

There's always the question of how disadvantaged 6 shooters are against 8 shooters when the stages are 6 rd neutral.

For most of the speed shoots, it's a wash. Stage breakdown on the field courses can eliminate a reload or a "standing reload" which could give you a couple second advantage. Must use the noodle to make the 2 extra round work for you.

Thx, was just wondering. There's (unfortunately) no icore reasonably close to me to try. Even 5 plate steel stages are more comfortable with 8 than 6. A non issue if you hit five with five, but it's easier to be faster knowing you have the cushion.

Heading back to the original question. Re the 627's - are moonclips availabe for .38/.357. For practice, can you load and extract without the clips?

I have a 1911 in .38 Super. Is it possible to get a 627 in the Super?

Thanks

Heading back to the original question. Re the 627's - are moonclips availabe for .38/.357. For practice, can you load and extract without the clips?

Thanks

If you can find a Performance Center model, it would be cut for moonclips. In .38/.357, you can use the moons but do not need to.

There are some .38Super models out there and if you search the Revolver forum, there's a thread where Smith will be making another limited run.

BTW...Sorry for the drift.

Thanks

The 5" PC 627 and 4" Pro 627 are .38/.357, factory cut for moonclips and will work fine without moonclips. There are some existing PC 627-4 which are 38 super and everyone who has one thinks they're made of gold. There is supposed to be another production run of 38 super 627's available May or June. Sorry 'bout the drift.

I spoke to Smith today. The rep who answered the phone said that there are a lot of great ideas floating out there. She implied that in today's uncertain economic times its unlikely another small run will be made anytime soon.

But I'm grateful for all the good ideas, thanks.

Peakbagr, if you want to know what's going on at S&W, you generally will not find out by calling their customer service department. :)

We have been told by our sales rep friend from Bangers (the distributor that originally released the 627-4 in .38 Super) that they have reached a deal with S&W to release another production run of those guns. So if you really want an 8-shot .38 Super, stay tuned, you should have an opportunity to get one in the next couple months.

Yeah, as long as I can get an order placed before they're gone. I have several people on the list who want them, and I'll probably snag one for myself while I'm at it. My guy at Bangers is supposed to let me know when they're in stock.

I have never shot any ICORE but I'm not understanding the big draw to go with the 38 Super. Since you only load to 120 + Power Factor it would seem that 38 Short Colts would do just fine and probably load faster. I shot a friends 327 in 38 Super at a steel match but used 9mm in it, he had the rear of the chambers reamed a little to take the 9mm. It worked great and loaded pretty good too. It would seem like a 9mm 327 would be the best if they put a barrel sized to the 9mm.

You can still load .357 bullets in a 9mm or .38 super case anyway.

That would work too but it sure would be nice to be able to grab some factory 9mm and get good accuracy out of a 327 revolver that had the right barrel on it. When I borrowed my friends 327 reamed for 9mm I just loaded up some 147 gr 9mm and it shot plenty accurate at 20 yds., I didn't test it past that since I was just shooting a steel match that was mostly plates at 11 yd.

I have never shot any ICORE but I'm not understanding the big draw to go with the 38 Super. Since you only load to 120 + Power Factor it would seem that 38 Short Colts would do just fine and probably load faster. I shot a friends 327 in 38 Super at a steel match but used 9mm in it, he had the rear of the chambers reamed a little to take the 9mm. It worked great and loaded pretty good too. It would seem like a 9mm 327 would be the best if they put a barrel sized to the 9mm.

This brings up a question: Can you fire factory 38 Short Colt (with the heeled bullet) through a 38/357 revolver?