Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EGW chamber checker

Sarge

EGW site shows 4 caliber style. Dillon appears to sell them in individual calibers. I was thinking it would speed things up to have the one from dillon. Are there two types or is there a typo involved somewhere. Are they any good? do they last? Do they really speed things up? Thanks all

:) Yes. He means case gauge. Sort of partial to "chamber checker" myself. Gauge seems so.......french.

Jim

I don't MEAN anything. Google EGW chamber checker. Or go to EGW site. Or Dillon site. You will see two distinct types. You can even look at the back cover of the latest Blue press.

Edited by sandman78

Actually, if you want to check a lot of ammo really fast, EGW also sells a gauge that has seven holes of the same chambering. I haven't quite decided to get one, but I'm tempted. It's not on the web page, but you can call and ask for one.

Some gauges are tighter than others. The Wilson, for instance, compared to the Dillon. I read that some if not all of that is because some manufacturer's go by the maximum SAAMI dimensions for the cartridge, and others (Dillon in this case) go by the minimum dimensions of the chamber. From EGW's own description of how they make their checkers, it seems their's are like Dillon's. Either SHOULD be tighter that a factory chamber or even a custom chamber.

• 3 years later...

Actually, if you want to check A LOT of ammo REALLY fast, EGW also sells a gauge that has FIFTY (50) holes of the same chambering.

The $100 price tag it too rich for my blood, but Midway has one in 45 ACP on clearance for $74.06 for anyone that's interested.

The EGW gages' holes are bored with chamber reamers. So is the JP .223 gage. You can use them to chamber check your rounds.

Some of the other "case gages" (Wilson) are not chamber checkers. These case gages see if the case length is within tolerances. Not really meant to be used as a chamber checker.

Actually, if you want to check A LOT of ammo REALLY fast, EGW also sells a gauge that has FIFTY (50) holes of the same chambering.

The $100 price tag it too rich for my blood, but Midway has one in 45 ACP on clearance for $74.06 for anyone that's interested.

And if you want something in the middle, check out the DAA 20 round checker. About $55. The holes are close together which looks like it would be faster. 567-048.jpg

Edited by IceDevil

Having a couple of the EGW gauges they work well....but they don't fit the 50 round trays to dump in and dump out.

I use a barrel for the main calibers I reload and it is honestly quicker. You can sit and pop one in, dump it out and pop one in repeatedly. Just depends on how much you are doing... :goof:

DougC

I use the EGW one with the 4 different chamber calibers. When I case gauge 9mm (the one I reload the most) I like the extra length (the part for the other 3 calibers) to hold onto. Drop, flip, drop, flip etc. The ammo that doesn't drop out freely on the flip goes into the practice container! The 4, 7, and 50 hole chamber checkers are not any faster I got them all free at major matches in my registration bags at one time or another.

Edited by Red Ryder