Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro front sight pusher?

G-ManBart

Hey all,

I was planning on replacing the front sight on my M&P Pro with a thinner model, but I know the universal sight pusher (B&J you can get at Brownells) isn't well suited for it. The M&P Pro has the flare at the bottom of the slide and the B&J is designed for slides that are flat. So, when you try to put pressure on the sight, the slide twists. I tried the trick of using a c-clamp to pin the slide down to the pusher and that was better, but still not secure enough. Anybody solved this before? It turns out that Smith didn't really center the front sight in mine and it's hitting 1-1.5" right at 10yds, so I wanted to drift the stock sight until I get the replacement, but I can't get it to budge with the B&J. R,

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe not quite such a large hammer as Flex posted. Did you try using shims to keep the pusher straight?

I did try using shims, but couldn't quite get them exactly right....need to come up with something better. I was going to try the drift and hammer, but the pushers make it easy to gradually get it exactly where you want it. Of course that doesn't matter if it won't move in the first place! The few that I've done I have noted that it's usually just getting them started that's the problem so maybe if I can get it moving with a drift the pusher will let me refine it.

It's been snowing, the roads are either closed or icy between me and the Double tap so maybe I'll see if I can come up with a solution....d'oh. R,

Maybe not quite such a large hammer as Flex posted. Did you try using shims to keep the pusher straight?

I did try using shims, but couldn't quite get them exactly right....need to come up with something better. I was going to try the drift and hammer, but the pushers make it easy to gradually get it exactly where you want it. Of course that doesn't matter if it won't move in the first place! The few that I've done I have noted that it's usually just getting them started that's the problem so maybe if I can get it moving with a drift the pusher will let me refine it.

It's been snowing, the roads are either closed or icy between me and the Double tap so maybe I'll see if I can come up with a solution....d'oh. R,

I put my slide in a vice in a vertical mill. Then I put a dowell in the chuck (had to get it really tight) and used the knee to push the sight against the dowel. You probably know this, but don't push against the sight blade. On my sight, it took so much force to overcome the friction that it was hard to make fine adjustments. Of course if you don't have access to a bridgport this isn't much help. :rolleyes:

http://www.proxarms.com/mgwsightadjustment...ampp-p-703.html

or

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/comme...category%3DSMWE

Or, go to local hardware store and purchase one of those brass sliding door locks...old fashion with long piece of half round brass about 3-4" long with a handle that slides into a corresponding channel mounted on door trim....shape one end to match the front sight dovetail.

What is this thing called snow?

Edited by Storm52

Hate to snow drift in this thread....pun intended. I lived up your way for awhile. Working in Kansas City and even lived in a place called Pittsburg, Ks. Taking an good old boy from Baton Rouge and moving him up north was quite an experience for the first winter. Always thought if Mother Nature put it down, she could take it away. Doesn't quite work that way on driveways, sidewalks and decks. You drive on it enough and you are stuck with ice until late March! I thought global warming had eliminated snow...now back to the thread topic!

Edited by Storm52

http://www.proxarms.com/mgwsightadjustment...ampp-p-703.html

or

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/comme...category%3DSMWE

Or, go to local hardware store and purchase one of those brass sliding door locks...old fashion with long piece of half round brass about 3-4" long with a handle that slides into a corresponding channel mounted on door trim....shape one end to match the front sight dovetail.

What is this thing called snow?

Well, I tried securing it in the vice and using a heavy hammer and drift, but that didn't work either...arrrgh. So, I put some pentrating oil on it and stuck it in the freezer. We'll see how that works.

I've got an MGW for Glocks and didn't think the M&P model worked on front sights, but from their description and the picture, I guess I was wrong. I'm going to order one even if the oil and cold do the trick....it'll make the install easier and there will always be somebody looking to borrow it!

Yeah, on the snow...what a freakin' pain. My wife just went to the vet to pick up meds for one of our dogs and she said "it looks okay but the roads are terrible...I wouldn't go". Niiiice....

Hmmmmm.....snow in the southwest???? And you rib us for shooting indoors for 3 months! Now, we're coming into Mud Season, and you get snow... :roflol:

Back to the sight. Bart make sure you get real brass if you go that route. Most hardware now has a yellowed finish, not even a brass plating. I use a 4 ounce hammer, unlike Flex's 3 pound sledge.

Cy,

If there are two different materials, you can replace one. How easily remains to be seen. If it's threaded, very easily.

Hmmmmm.....snow in the southwest???? And you rib us for shooting indoors for 3 months! Now, we're coming into Mud Season, and you get snow... :roflol:

Back to the sight. Bart make sure you get real brass if you go that route. Most hardware now has a yellowed finish, not even a brass plating. I use a 4 ounce hammer, unlike Flex's 3 pound sledge.

Cy,

If there are two different materials, you can replace one. How easily remains to be seen. If it's threaded, very easily.

Oh, I'm gonna get my fill of snow shortly after I get to Michigan...lol.

Well, I let the penetrating oil soak and I left it in the freezer for over an hour....used a steel punch with a BIG hammer and nothing. I thought maybe my pads were letting the slide move a bit in the vice so I used two thin, pieces of hard wood and whacked the heck out of it....nothing. So, I just ordered the MGW tool. We'll see if that works. I'll let the penetrating oil soak longer, but I don't hold much hope for it. R,

If you are having trouble getting it started, be sure to break the leading edge corners a wee-little bit.

The freezer trick should help it right along.

And, I really do use a big hammer like that.

Cy, that punch is from Brownells. The brass part is a threaded tip. They even come in a kit with a few different diameter brass punch tips, and a plastic tip or two. Seek and ye shall find.

I had to drift the front sight on my Pro also. I soaked with a penetrating fluid and then stuck the slide in the freezer for a while. Was able to use the drift punch and hammer method to loosen it. After that I chucked the punch in the drill press and used that to make finer adjustments.... With the FO rod cold you have to make sure not to hit it at all, you'll only get one chance on that!!!

You all post quick. :)

It may be a bit oversized ?

I think it's that it was actually installed a bit too far. Install is right to left. Remove is left to right. Mine is a bit too far left, so it's probably in tighter than it would be if centered. The penetrating oil and freezer didn't seem to help....it was pretty darned secure in the vice and my hammer is a mini-sledge like your pic. With a steel punch you'd think that would do the trick! I ordered the MGW but I'm not sure that will be able to put more oomph on the sight than what I'm trying now....we'll see. R,

D-oh. :blink: I got in my head that you were trying to get the new one in, not drift the old.

Who put that one in? Factory? Smith? It might have some hi-speed loctite? Might ask the smith what he used?

It's factory. They have a reputation on the M&P forum for being extremely tight and gunsmiths like Dan Burwell are reporting that the newer guns seem even worse. They use a hydraulic press/ram to put them in...yikes :surprise:

G, are you saying the S&W M&P slide fits into the MGW sight tool made for a Glock?

No, I have a Glock MGW, but it won't work. The part that fits into the slide rails might actually fit, but the striker cover is in the way (comes down too far). Regardless, the rear sight on the M&P won't fit the pusher. The M&P sight has flat sides and 90* corners. The Glocks, as you know, are angled inwards at the top. Oh, and the Glock model doesn't have any provision for the front sight....have to see how the MGW handles that, but it's got a second tab on the pusher and some different extensions on the body....just ordered one so I guess we'll see! R,

Cy, that punch is from Brownells. The brass part is a threaded tip. They even come in a kit with a few different diameter brass punch tips, and a plastic tip or two. Seek and ye shall find.

I have gone through several brass punches in the past few years and they all "mushroom" after a few sight installations. I will look for it in the Brownells catalog; Thanks!!

I have gone through several brass punches in the past few years and they all "mushroom" after a few sight installations. I will look for it in the Brownells catalog; Thanks!!

You can always cut them back a bit and/or dress them up with a file and sandpaper (chuck it in a drill).