Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is this a stupid question?

kimmie

2011-type is a "wide body" 1911, that is a frame (grip) made wide enough for double stack magazines instead of the traditional single stack frame of a 1911-type of gun.

The rest is pretty much standard 1911.

2011-type is a "wide body" 1911, that is a frame (grip) made wide enough for double stack magazines instead of the traditional single stack frame of a 1911-type of gun.

The rest is pretty much standard 1911.

Thanks - that's what I was kinda thinking but wasn't sure.

Donna

Donna- amost all Open Guns you'll see are 2011s. Most Limited guns around our area are also 2011s but you do see some Glocks, etc there. George didn't get into the equipment too much did he? ;) See you at your match!

The "2011" is a model name used by STI. Sometimes people will refer to an "Infinity 2011", but that is not correct nomenclature.

Some models of SVI and STIs are similar, however, "2011" is a specific manufacturer's designation, and is not part of the generic lexicon as is 1911.

The "2011" is a model name used by STI. Sometimes people will refer to an "Infinity 2011", but that is not correct nomenclature.

Some models of SVI and STIs are similar, however, "2011" is a specific manufacturer's designation, and is not part of the generic lexicon as is 1911.

There you go :mellow: with Facts again.

That is how I understand it. Except I was also under the assumption that SVI also had rights to "2011".

That is the reason I do not refer to Para's, Caspian and double stack Springfields/Kimbers as 2011's. Although they are double stack 1911's, they are simply double stacks.

Thanks for all the info. So, basically, a 2011(which is a brand name) is a double stack 1911 but a double stack 1911 is not always a 2011. Sort of like Kleenex is tissue but not all tissue is Kleenex?????? :mellow: But..... if a 1911 is a double stack, which is wasn't meant to be originally - is it still really a 1911??????

Sorry - but knowledge is power!

Donna

Thanks for all the info. So, basically, a 2011(which is a brand name) is a double stack 1911 but a double stack 1911 is not always a 2011. Sort of like Kleenex is tissue but not all tissue is Kleenex?????? :mellow: But..... if a 1911 is a double stack, which is wasn't meant to be originally - is it still really a 1911??????

Sorry - but knowledge is power!

Donna

More and more folks are calling either STI or SVI double stack guns a "2011". Both brands are modular frames where the grip slides onto the frame and is held (primarily) by two screws. The other double stack 1911s like Paras and Caspians are not modular frames....they're all one piece like a 1911 with grip panels on the side of the frame. R,

Since folks are obviously already using the term as a generic I'd have to disagree with that. If not, this thread would have a different title :P

It's not to the level we see with a 1911, but it hasn't had almost a hundred years to get there just yet ;) We call lots of guns 1911s when in reality almost none of the currently produced Government Model pattern guns are 1911 style.....they're really 1911A1 style, or Government Model style, but not really 1911s. Still we all know what someone's talking about when they say "it's a 1911". If someone says "it's a 2011" I know what they're talking about but I have never once thought "it must be an STI and not an SV". R,

The irony, of course, is that the original 1911 pattern guns now have their own differentiating moniker - the Single Stack. That name didn't exist before the double column guns made it useful.

As you know STI and SV used to be the same company making parts/guns based on the same frame (before they split off) - so basically all guns on the same type design of frame, ie STI, SV, Barsto, and even the european copies, are all "2011"s in my mind based on their shared design.

Just like a Colt, Springfield and Kimber singlestack are all 1911s regardless of who made the original model.....