Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon dies in the 550?

ER_STL

I'm considering a 550 for my first press (I just sold an SDB that I bought but never used). BE (in his FAQs) strongly recommends Dillon's dies for the press but it looks like quite a few people around here use different types of dies in their presses. Can someone tell me why I should go with Dillon's dies for the 550? I'm going to be shooting 9mm (in a Glock and in an M&P) and .38. Lee's dies are considerably less expensive and the FCD seems to be getting recommended quite a bit.

Honestly (and probably for a different thread), I'm still struggling between the 550 and the Lee Classic Turret. I know they are two different beasts but the Lee's realistic production rate of 150-200 rounds per hour meets my needs for the foreseeable future...

Edited by ER_STL

You may get a few varying opinions , but I believe you will kick yourself later if you do not go with the Dillon press. Of course this opinion is from someone who uses a Dillon 550 purchased from our web host. ;)

Since you are shooting a Glock and an M&P you should be just fine with standard Dillon dies. The reason alot of us use a Lee(EGW) undersize sizing die is because we shoot tight (match) chambered barrels and if you load used brass that has been shot through a looser chambered gun (Glocked brass) it sometimes has a bulge in it that the standard sizing die does not remove and you can have chambering issues.

It's just very convenient to order your Dillon 550 from Brian along with your dies and accessories. I'd recommend one of Brian's pre-packaged (EZ Buy) deals.

You simply cannot go wrong in dealing with Brian Enos and Dillon Precision.

Edited by baerburtchell

I'm considering a 550 for my first press (I just sold an SDB that I bought but never used). BE (in his FAQs) strongly recommends Dillon's dies for the press but it looks like quite a few people around here use different types of dies in their presses. Can someone tell me why I should go with Dillon's dies for the 550? I'm going to be shooting 9mm (in a Glock and in an M&P) and .38. Lee's dies are considerably less expensive and the FCD seems to be getting recommended quite a bit.

Honestly (and probably for a different thread), I'm still struggling between the 550 and the Lee Classic Turret. I know they are two different beasts but the Lee's realistic production rate of 150-200 rounds per hour meets my needs for the foreseeable future...

In my opinion, because they are simply top quality dies. I have mostly Dillon carbide dies, and while the other types do load, I can certainly tell a difference between the Dillon dies and say, RCBS. I do have and use RCBS for calibers that Dillon does not make; however, Dillon is definitely my go-to for dies.

As far as the press goes, I will also say go with the 550b. You absolutely will not regret it. Your production rate can be 150-200, and as you progress, it may get up to 300-500 an hour, depending on caliber, skill level, and many other factors. It is not about speed - it is definitely about quality; however, you cannot go wrong with Dillon products. On top of the products, customer service from both BE and Dillon can't be beat. No, I am not a paid cheerleader (don't I wish!!!) - they are just top notch which seals the deal for me with top notch equipment.

My .02,

redintex

I just bought a 550 this winter and I use Dillon dies. I load 9mm only for now. You know, for the life of me I can't figure out this whole glock bulge thing and using u dies etc.. I pick up a lot of brass that is still hot out of glocks. I see a small bit of bulge. I screwed my dillon sizer die down nice and close and the brass falls in out of a gauge like butter. They fall in and out of my M&P chamber the same way. From what I understand the 9mm is not as bad as 40 when it comes to bulge so this may play a big part. I understand some guns have tight chambers but it does not sound like you have one yet.

I recommend the 550 and Dillon dies without reservation.

I have a 550, and love it!

In fact, I won a sqare deal B, and Dillon traded me full value for another 550b

NOW I HAVE 2 550's!

BTW, My production is around 350 per hour at a leisurely pace. No need to ever hurry when reloading.

Reminds me of what an old Pharmacist told me once, "Don't EVER hurry, or you'll hurry up and kill someone."

Holds true.

If you plan to load lead bullets then I would strongly advise you to purchase the Dillon dies. The seating plug can be eadilly removed for removing the accumulated grease, lead shavings etc. without disturbing the die set up. If you only plan to load jacketed bullets then any die set will work.

Yeah, lots of folks actually have a Heinz 57 setup for dies....for various reasons. The Redding Competition Seating die is pretty much the gold standard and if you load Glocked brass for a tight chamber that's where a lot of folks use a U-die or a standard die in #1 and a U-die in #2 (depends on the press of course). Obviously the case belling/powder drop is going to be Dillon and the crimp die doesn't matter much....they all work. Some folks do like the Lee FCD, but I prefer to remove the problem by proper sizing first and won't bother with a FCD since it's not necessary if the sizing is done properly (and the FCD works the brass more).

For straight 9mm going into a service type gun (Glocks, XDs, M&Ps etc) with factory barrels you really don't need more than the Dillon dies....although adding the Redding CSD will produce better ammo than a stock Dillon seating die...almost zero runout and the micrometer makes switching settings easier. R,

As to the Lee vs. Dillon thing, I do know folks who have Lee presses and are happy with them, I even know a guy who's had 2 Lee presses for almost 30 years, but the thing they all have in common is that they like to tinker. I don't like to tinker. I started out with a Lee hand press, and I constantly had to reset the dies because the Lee lock rings are, shall we say, impermanent. One of the things I enjoy most about my SDB is that once it's set, it's set. I check a few rounds out of every hundred, and the only time I've had any meaningful variation is when using lead bullets. That was just caused by the need to clean out the seater die, and that happens with any dies and lead bullets. I wanted to be able to set up the press and crank out ammo as quickly as possible with a minimum of dicking around, and that's exactly what I got with my Dillon press.

Go with the Dillon, I have used nothing but Dillon dies since I got my 550 in the early 90's, six different setups and it is rare that a finished round does not pass the case gauge.

When I bought my 550, I did not buy the Dillon dies because I already had two sets of Lee dies. If it were not for that, I would likely have gotten the Dillon dies, but I'm not sure they would have worked better than any other carbide dies. Just one tip, if you use Lee dies, you may want to get the Dillon lock nuts just the same.

As to the Dillon 550 vs Lee Turret, they really are completely different. With any progressive press, you are going to be doing more with a single stroke than you will with a turret. I don't know why you sold the SDB, but a turret press is going backwards in functionality. Having said that, a turret press is not a bad choice as a low volume press because it can be very flexible and cost effective. Just make sure that you get a press with at least 4 positions on the turret if you are going to load pistol.

I like the Dillon size dies for all the above and for a reason not yet mentioned. The carbide sizer is radiused at the mouth. This gives a funnel effect that prevents having to hand guide the cases into the die. I started loading 38's with a RCBS sizer and had to do that on about half the cases. Not a problem on a single stage but a big PIA on a progressive.

When I bought my 550 about 2 years ago, I did so because I was totally fed up with having to fiddle so much with my (then) current press. Of course I already had piles of dies, and the fact that the 550 would accept industry standard dies was a big plus. So I started off with a set of Lee carbide dies. Later on, I upgraded to Redding dies. Finally, I've just lately been able to get a set of Dillon dies. Of all the dies I've tried in the 550, I must say that the Dillon dies work the nicest.

And for some strange reason they seem to leave less "smutz" on the 550. It seems the percentage of primers that miss the catch ramp decreased by half using the Dillon dies. Maybe it's my imagination, but I would buy them again.

Yeah, lots of folks actually have a Heinz 57 setup for dies....for various reasons. The Redding Competition Seating die is pretty much the gold standard and if you load Glocked brass for a tight chamber that's where a lot of folks use a U-die or a standard die in #1 and a U-die in #2 (depends on the press of course). Obviously the case belling/powder drop is going to be Dillon and the crimp die doesn't matter much....they all work. Some folks do like the Lee FCD, but I prefer to remove the problem by proper sizing first and won't bother with a FCD since it's not necessary if the sizing is done properly (and the FCD works the brass more).

For straight 9mm going into a service type gun (Glocks, XDs, M&Ps etc) with factory barrels you really don't need more than the Dillon dies....although adding the Redding CSD will produce better ammo than a stock Dillon seating die...almost zero runout and the micrometer makes switching settings easier. R,

I get more worn-out brass to reload than you do.

I find 10 or more instances per thousand where the EGW and Dillon sizing dies still won't get me a properly sized round. The brass bulges while the bullet is seated, which neither will fix.

I currently run Dillon in stages 1-3, then a Redding Comp. Seating die, and then a Lee FCD. In 9mm, this produces ammo I only case gauge for big matches. The only thing I check on every round is the primer seating.

I'm not a long time reloader, but I was reading this after finishing loading another batch of ammo with my 550 and dillon dies and had a few thoughts.

The Dillon dies are easier to clean. Which even for the CMJ bullets I load, is nice if not essential.

The Dillon sizing die vs the EGW "U" die. I like the Dillon better for it's tapered mouth (smoother loading) and depriming pin (spring loaded, just seems to work better, maybe I just like the "ping" it makes?).

I bought some used Dillon 40 S&W dies, an older style. Had an issue with the seating die. Dillon helped, replaced it in the end, no questions asked.

I started with the 550 and the Dillon dies. It remains pretty seamless. It did cost a few extra bucks, but the stuff just *works* and when I've had questions Brian or Dillon are there to help. I'd do it again.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the things that attracted me to the Dillon 9mm dies was the bullet ram inside the seating die. All my other four makes of 9mm dies offered one ram which left either marks on the bullets or seating height (OAL) variations. The Dillon dies have the replaceable bullet ram and supply one for RN bullets and one for FN bullets. My bullets are now seating straighter and with less variation in OAL. I'll never go back.

I bought a 550 and a set of 45 ACP Dillon dies (even though I had RCBS and Lymans in hand). Gotta say I love the Dillons -- glad I bought 'em -- would do it again. Much easier to feed, easier to clean and ultra high quality internal finishes. IMHO, they are worth the price.

I just ordered my first press. Dude I got a Dillon!

After talking to the locals at the sportsman club I am convinced that I made a sound choice. Hell the people that have Dillon's invited me back to their houses to show them off!

~k_day64