Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

upside down primer

Mikej

Everyonce in a while I will find a primer that is defective also, they manufactured it up side down. :huh::blink::wacko:

(sorry I couldnt help my feeble attempt at humor)

I have a box of defective bullets to get rid of also, I read some guy puts them in a box, tapes them up extensivly and throws them in the garbage, I have heard some ranges have bullets dumps. I still have mine because I dont have anyway to get rid of them either.

I have a coffee can that I throw rejects into. When it gets full or on a rainy day, I sit down with my inertial puller and disassemble them and recycle the brass and bullets. On the ones that have an upside down primer I just run them through my decapper/sizing die, discard the primer and throw the brass in my "to be loaded" pile.

Disclaimer: Some folks have a bit of concern over de-priming a live primer. IMHO, removing a primer from a piece of brass, whether it is right side up or upside down can be done without any undue concern on my part.

You may feel different. Do what you feel comfortable with. Always wear your safety glasses and ear protection while reloading or disassembling bullets.

fwiw

dj

If it is a completed round I simply pry the anvil out of the primed with a needle. Next I pull the bullet with an inertial bullet pulling hammer.Now I have only a brass case, no powder or bullet. The primer can now be punched out on my press at the sizing/decapping station.

CYa,

Pat

If it is a completed round I simply pry the anvil out of the primed with a needle. Next I pull the bullet with an inertial bullet pulling hammer.Now I have only a brass case, no powder or bullet. The primer can now be punched out on my press at the sizing/decapping station.

CYa,

Pat

This is a good way to say goodbye to some fingers... The material in a primer is very impact sensitive, one slip and you get a face full of anvil and finger parts.

CYa,

Pat

This is a good way to say goodbye to some fingers... The material in a primer is very impact sensitive, one slip and you get a face full of anvil and finger parts.

I've never had any problem whatsoever doing this. If it makes you nervous then "kill" the primer with WD 40 first. If it makes you real nervous then "kill" the primer with WD 40 and throw the whole thing away.

CYa,

Pat