Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3gun Match - Perfect Number Of Days For One??

I am curious to find out from you folks what you prefer when looking at matches you might go shoot as to the length of time they are being held. Please state the number of matches you attend and if you travel to get to them. Thanks!

1) Do you prefer one day matches with limited stages and the competitor numbers limited as well?

2) Do you prefer 2 day matches that allow more, and more complicated stages, with more competitors allowed and limited 'downtime'?

3) Do you like 3-4 day matches that allow more, and more complicated stages, more competitors and more 'downtime' during the match?

(Downtime being defined as not shooting all day and having large blocks of time spent not at the range or not shooting each day.)

Thanks in advance! I have been having a discussion with friends on this subject and would like to have other peoples opinions and comments as well!

Guy Hawkins

P.S. Maybe your answers will influence the next season of shooting!

I prefer matches that can be shot in a day. You can still run a quality match with lots of stages and very little wasted down time. It saves on cost for hotel rooms and meals, which lets you shoot more big matches. The Area 8 match had 11 stages shot in half day format. The stages were a good mix. It can be done if the right people are running the match. Nothing sucks more than spending 3-4 days at a match that could be shot in 2 days. I hate standing around instead of shooting.

I like minimal down time. Extra days in hotels and resturants really drive up the cost of a match. Extra days off from work are a killer.

Nothing sucks more than spending 3-4 days at a match that could be shot in 2 days. I hate standing around instead of shooting.

I agree.

I shot the 11 stage A8 all day Sunday. It was a bit of a Marathon, but was a great match. The A7 was 8 stages on a half day format. It too, was a great match.

I like a little down time but not much. I like 2 day matches w/ lots of shooters. Most of them I know & it is good to see everyone. When you get to be my age you need a little break now & then. There is a lot of older shooters out there. Lots of good stages w/ lots of rds. We came to burn powder. It was nice to meet you at RM3G. you are better than I had heard. See you at another 3-gun.

I agree with Benny on this one! Unless you live right near the match it still takes alot of driving and motel time. I like to be able to see stages shot a few times, and I like to catch up with the people I don't get to see very often! I like 2-3 day matches! all the big matches I shoot are 10-14 hours away so I look at it like a vaction and I don't like to rush vacations. KURT

As I near retirement age (I'm 55) and unfortunately have had to bury a few close friends, I savor the quality time in taking an occasional 2day weekend vacation surrounded by like minded competitors... many of whom I consider friends, even if I forget their names from year to year. I dont shoot at the level of Benny, Kurt, Kelly, Jeff, Kyle and a lot of contributors to this forum but there is sure a lot of satisfaction of being able to compete at the same match and compare skills.

The practical side to this is that as a high school teacher, my vacation time is in June and July (we usually start around the second week in Aug) it is very difficult to take "time off" and miss a day during the school year. Matches on 3day weekends like Labor Day, or over the year end holidays are greatly appreciated. Kyle's match the last two years has required me to "play hookey" for a day. Jeff's shotgun match was in June but allowed Sunday as travel time.

7 to 8 hour travel time is about all I want to travel in a day if I have to go to work the following day. and travel by myself. Georgia at South River is about as far as I care to travel alone(I live in the Tampa area).... Anniston and Fayetteville/Oxford is an accompanied trip...several of the local shooters fly up to Oxford, and I will probably have to join them in the future... regards Les

Lets face, it 3-gun is a high dollar game to play and with every little rule change it goes up in price so , anytime a match can be incorperated into a holiday weekend it helps some.

Getting pushed through sucks too <_<

a 2 day match for me means (weekend mind you)a 4 day weekend .

SOF (or whatever its called now)is deffinately out.

12 hours is about my limit(travel time)one way.Then can you say you were at the top of your game? :huh: (Boo Hoo the sun was in my eyes)

My hope for 3-gun is more matches of kyles format and less range lawyers,to me thats a big time eater.

I'm no threat to win even a mag pouch but i'm drinking milk and.................

:lol:

A two day format is what works the best for me, but minimize the total down time, seeing and joking with the crowd and meeting new friends is the greatest part of this game, you have to have time to meet and greet but not hours and hours in between burning in the sun. The greatest people in my life I have met playing at this game. I usually have limited vacation so I must choose wisely where to spend it, ssome matches come before all others on the list and other new matches have proved to be disappointing, not giving very good shooter value. Three gun runs through the veins, more three gun makes life better each year. Smoke'em if you got em!

Guy, I prefer the 2 day setup to allow for some downtime and to minimize the time spent at the location. As an example, the 4 day setup for the WC3gun (counting the 2 hour shooters meeting and the closing banquet) basically means a person takes off a week of work counting travel time. Most of us can't afford to be away from the job that long and the down time during the actual match is to long. I liked the RM3gun setup, if the team shoot could have been on the 2nd day and prizes first thing Sunday morning, it would have been perfect.