Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Target bullets pulling in 625.

20nickels

Loaded some H&G #68 200gr LSWC copies under 3.8gr of Bullseye and I am getting bullet pull up to an 1/8" before I get through a full cylinder. Groups are okay. Should I suck it up and live with it or clamp down the crimp? Roll crimp?

20 nickles, As off the wall as this sounds...Less taper crimp may be the solution. I had a similar problem and what was happening was that when I did the Taper crimp I squeezed the bullet and made it looser in the case. You may just use the roll crimp on the seating die also. Hope this is helpful. later rdd

I had that problem when I used a Lee Factory Crimp die. The lee FC die sizes the whole finished cartridge and I found that the lead bullet was being swagged down as well as the brass, the brass springs back some but the lead doesn't leaving the bullet loose in the case. I ditched the Lee FCD and bullets held much better.

Loaded some H&G #68 200gr LSWC copies under 3.8gr of Bullseye and I am getting bullet pull up to an 1/8" before I get through a full cylinder. Groups are okay. Should I suck it up and live with it or clamp down the crimp? Roll crimp?

If you are usinga taper crimp, switch to a roll crimp for your revolver, the problem should go away.

If you are usinga taper crimp, switch to a roll crimp for your revolver, the problem should go away.

+1 I roll crimp mine and love it.

When I made them I was working on the principle of small crimp small groups. I will run them back through the press and add a slight roll crimp via a Redding Profile Crimp die. :ph34r: The obvious answer was more crimp, but I wanted to see if there was another way to skin this cat.

Who makes a good roll crimp die for .45 ACP that will fit a Dillon tool head?

Thanks

Grenderojo

Any standard die will work with all but the Square Deal I believe.

I use a Lee .45 Auto Rim. About any Auto Rim will work though.

You could try a .45 Colt or Schoefield from Dillon, but you might have to cut off some of the bottom of the insert to get them to fit.

The crimp is the main thing, but it wouldn't hurt to polish down the belling die a little so it doesn't open up the cases as much.

I had a problem with the lee fcd and full wadcutters once.