Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL 650 crushing primers - priming swaging station of 1050 helpful?

I used the 650 of a colleague of mine for reloading 1000 pcs of 9mm using "range brass".

There was one VERY nasty problem persistent throughout the whole time I was reloading: There was one specific batch of S&B cases among the collected "range brass" which almost always produced a problem seating the primer. All other brands were fine. Unfortunately the S&B cases made up the biggest part of cases. Reloading was no fun at all as there was consistent troubleshooting necessary all the time, which was very time consuming, and yes, I now know what it sounds like detonationg a primer.... :surprise:

I think, the reason for the problem was, that the S&B cases' primer pockets have a very sharp edge, whereas all other brands of cases have a more rounded edge of the primer pocket functioning sort of as a funnel for the primer being seated.

I will buy my own reloading machine very soon, I initially decided to go for a 650 but I am not really convinced by this performance at all. I would expect a more hassle-free workflow. I was now wondering if the priming swaging station of the 1050 would cure the problem mentioned above and therefore justifies the much higher price, which I would be ready to pay in exchange for a better perfomance regarding the seating of the primer.

EDIT: If not the swaging station, is there any other die available that widens the primer pocket a bit giving a more "funnel-like" primer pocket facilitating a more smoothe seating of the primer?

I would be especially glad about the opinion of those of you using both machines (650 and 1050).

Thank you!

post-17092-1237077003_thumb.jpg

Edited by LoSTViKiNG

The problem isn't the 650 ........... it's the brass. Most folks don't pickup S&B brass for this very reason. Not sure what you can do about it, other than use Winchester, Remington, Federal, CCI, etc. The Winchester is the best, and most popular ... if you are lucky enough to find it.

A properly adjusted swage rod will take care of those in no time on the 1050.....I fear no brass now with mine....LOL

Once set up properly you wont have to dick around with it and you will save time and frustration with the 1050 over the 650 if you are mechanically inclined and can think through how the machine works and are willing to take it apart and clean it up now and then....

Good luck,

DougC

Viking,

You did not mention if you intend to load other calibers as well.

If you do, you might consider staying with the 650 because of the lesser cost of caliber conversions, and the relative ease of changing calibers. If you do that, and you believe the S&B brass will continue to show up in your range pickups, you might consider paying $90 for the Dillon Super Swage.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p...Super_Swage_600

That way with you run across the primer problem, just chuck that piece of brass in a bucket, and then later when you have a bunch, swage them and use them in your next batch.

Mark

I bought a 1050 for exactly this reason. I have pretty good access to LE range brass but it is all non toxic which has funky primerpockets that would raise hell on my 650. No worries now.

Of course you can save some money and go with a 650 and a super swage

Thank you all for your swift and competent replies, I appreciate very much!

Just to clarify the job the station 3 of the 1050 does: Please have a look on my sketch below.

Does it a job like illustrated in A. (which is what I would need) or just B. (which would not be any cure in my case).

I have to decide if the 1050 is worth it, compared to the 650.

Again, thanks for your input!

post-17092-1237121569_thumb.jpg

The problem is with S&B brass, but not all S&B brass is problematic. I have a terrible time seating primers into S&B .38 Special brass no matter which press I use. On the other hand, S&B .45 ACP brass is easy to prime in both my 550B and XL650. The common denominator here is the S&B brass and not the press that is used.

Dave Sinko

I've had the same experience as Dave Sinko. No issues at all with S&B 45 brass. They definitely feel tighter when seating but no major issues. Again, this is with 45. I haven't loaded 9mm on my 650 yet. But, in general, I've still got an eye on a 1050 for my next press! :)

Thomas

I made the decision a few years back to buy the 1050 over the 650. I knew it was more expensive, and a bit more pain to switch calibers. At the time, I could afford it, and as I tend to load a buttload at a time, it didn't really matter if it took me five minutes or all day to switch calibers.

I set the swagger and backing rod to just barely swage the primer pockets, but it really does make all the difference. Range brass no longer is a problem. I also really like the priming on the downstroke. I know some prefer the ability to feel the primers going in, but all I care about is noticing the ones that fail to go in properly, and you still feel that on the 1050.

For the cost of a loonie each, my 7 year olds tray up and inspec the primers on my loaded ammo.

So I think I will go for a 1050! :cheers:

Do you you have a where-to-buy recommendation? Please remember, I do not live in the US but in Europe. Whereas the US seem to be reloader's heaven, I am afraid reloader's hell is here in Europe :-P Reloading seems to be considered as being a geeky thing here, especially loading high volumes of hand gun ammo. Consequently, there are only a few dealers that carry the equipment at all, but virtually none of it is on stock, which means you can't go "hands-on" shopping (which would be helpful, e.g. the swaging thing). Delivery times are not seldomly up to 16 weeks.

I would as well consider a direct purchase from the US, provided the shipping costs are not prohibitive.

Thanks again!

Check your 9mm range pickups with a magnet. In my most recent batch of 9mm I found a number of 9mm S&B cases that were brass plated steel. I've always had problems priming S&B even with the brass cases. I usually avoid loading them. After you've loaded on a 650 for some time you will learn to feel when a primer is not seating as it should and know to stop to find the problem.

Keith

Check your 9mm range pickups with a magnet. In my most recent batch of 9mm I found a number of 9mm S&B cases that were brass plated steel. I've always had problems priming S&B even with the brass cases. I usually avoid loading them. After you've loaded on a 650 for some time you will learn to feel when a primer is not seating as it should and know to stop to find the problem.

Keith

There must be a batch of S&B going around. I just picked up some for the first time yesterday ( 9mm) and was trying to reload them today. I ran into the same problem with my 650xl. First time I have ever had a problem!

So I got on this forum knowing I would find an answer here and it only took 2 min :)

I think I will keep them in another container and buy a Dillon Super Swager 600 later.

Thank you everyone for some easy to find info !

Edited by smokeaterict

So I think I will go for a 1050! :cheers:

Do you you have a where-to-buy recommendation? Please remember, I do not live in the US but in Europe. Whereas the US seem to be reloader's heaven, I am afraid reloader's hell is here in Europe :-P Reloading seems to be considered as being a geeky thing here, especially loading high volumes of hand gun ammo. Consequently, there are only a few dealers that carry the equipment at all, but virtually none of it is on stock, which means you can't go "hands-on" shopping (which would be helpful, e.g. the swaging thing). Delivery times are not seldomly up to 16 weeks.

I would as well consider a direct purchase from the US, provided the shipping costs are not prohibitive.

Thanks again!

Obviously, Dillion is very hard-to-get in Europe. Dealers don't even answer my requests. An insider explained to me that those company which import Dillon, wait until they have enough orders to fill a full scale container, otherwise shipping is too much for the importing company. The downside of this practice is, that it resultus in delivery times of 6 months (!) and more.

Now I consider buying the stuff personally myself in the US.

Are there any recommendable well-stocked shops in the Atlanta (big hub airport ;-) area carrying most of the dillon products on stock?

The ticket is app. 400EUR.

Thanks for your thoughts/ideas!