Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another homemade cat tail/zoom lever

ERIC

About 1 year ago, I made one for my IOR 1.1x-4x out of aluminum. I posted it on this thread:

Link

It was such a PITA because I made it with woodworking tools that I swore I'd never make another one. Well, I lied but I used a different material this time. I used a dense, slick plastic that I have on my table saw fence. I think it's the same stuff plastic chopping boards are made out from. My friend has an IOR 1.5x-8x. I don't think a zoom lever is readily available for one of those so I decided to try to make one. The zoom ring on that scope isn't flat - it has a high point and tappers down front and back. I wasn't about to try to make it out of aluminum since I didn't have the right tool or cutter so I decided to use this plastic. I was able to easily shape the inside of the zoom lever ring to match the scope ring with a sandpaper drum on the dremel and a steady hand. I tapped it and it is dense enough to hold the bolts. Once I got it on, it was solid and felt just like the aluminum one I made but was a lot easier to make. It took me 4 hours to make because of the ring shape and I had to do some trial and error fitting because I didn't have access to the scope when I started. I decided to make another one for my scope for the hell of it and it took less than 2 hours. While it isn't pretty, it gets the job done. I'm trying to get my hands on some black plastic. That will look a lot better. This material is very easy to work with and would be a good option for those who want one but no one makes it for your scope.

post-2477-1237013831_thumb.jpg

About 1 year ago, I made one for my IOR 1.1x-4x out of aluminum. I posted it on this thread:

Link

I'm trying to get my hands on some black plastic. That will look a lot better.

post-2477-1237013831_thumb.jpg

You probably could buy a black poly cutting board from Wally World. Interesting solution.

I would guess that if a person were really motivated (read - cheap) that they could make one with just a cutting board and a dremel. If you already have a Dremel + the router attachment then you've really got a score there.

Cutting boards are mostly UHMW plastic. Woodcraft stores sell a bag of various sizes/shapes/colors for use in making jigs and the like that might be useful. Cuts easily with woodworking tools. Delrin would probably be the best plastic, but it's harder to come by in small DIY quantities-- if there's a big plastics wholesaler nearby sometimes they have a scrap bin that pieces can be picked out of for a few $

• 2 years later...

Can I resurrect this thread?

I want a cat tail/scope lever/zoom lever for my Nikon Monarchs.

I can't find one for sale, and even if I could, I'm not excited about spending $70 on a simple metal ring...

Is anybody making these out of delrin?

I can't find one for sale, and even if I could, I'm not excited about spending $70 on a simple metal ring...

They may appear to be simple but they are not just a metal ring.

The price is based machine time. Machining aluminum and plastic (delrin) take about the same time on CNC with a high RPM spindle. Also aluminum is stronger than delrin; the threads in delrin would not hold up over time, they would strip out with the slightest over tightening.

:cheers:

The delrin and threads have been holding up pretty good. It doesn't take a lot of force to get it tight and doesn't come loose. It takes a good amount of force to pull them apart and I'd rather have that fail before the scope gets damaged. I made some for a couple of friends and they put it through 2-SMM3G matches as well as 2 years worth of monthly matches in the heat and cold of AZ. That said, I'd recommend spending the money and getting and aluminum one if there is one for your scope. Delrin is a good alternative if no one makes it for your scope or if you are trying to save money.

I have a couple of tips I've learned since making the first one. Make it as thick as possible to get more thread engagement. Also, you only need to cut the ring in one place if you heat up the other side and bend it over the scope. It looks a lot cleaner and is a lot less work. Oh ya, use black delrin because it looks better than white. Here is one I made for my IOR on my backup and for my Meopta because I was too cheap to buy one.

BTW, please don't contact me to make one. I hate making these things.

post-2477-052426300 1300486920_thumb.jpg

post-2477-095165500 1300486929_thumb.jpg

http://breakawayusa.com/shop/coasters.jpg

Here is a cheap alternative. I have not used one but have seen them in use and they do the job.

Edited by mpeltier

• 6 months later...

I have a set of those (BTW much cheaper if you buy them from the UK, even with shipping https://www.tedcarter.co.uk/product.php?pid=breakaway-coaster-clips) but like the OP's problem, the Nikon's have a raised surface for the zoom ring and the casters don't want to stay centered it, and slip off.

I'm trying to find some rubber weather stripping or some kind of silicone or material that I can mold then harden to give good grip and a good surface for the breakaway caster.

I found some just like the Coasters at a local sports warehouse store. They were in the ATV section and they were $1.99 on clearance. I didn't buy them 'cause I'm on a "Don't buy ANYTHING you don't need right now" kick so I can't tell you what they were called.