Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blade

I caught the last third/quarter of "Blade" with Wesley Snipes last night. Was this supposed to be a low-budget bad-looking thriller/gore-fest? If so, it succeeded. If it was supposed to be a high-brow vehicle for Snipes, it wasn't. The martial arts were typical Hollywood (stiff, obviously choreographed and slow and flashy) the gun wrangling sucked, and the special effects looked like something cranked out on a desktop computer.

It was good enough to get a sequel, I guess.

I'm just glad I missed the first part.

Wow! It almost sounds like we saw different movies. I'll admit the gun handling sucked, but that's par for the hollywood course.

I have both "Blade" and "Blade II" and I really enjoy them more with each viewing. The sequel is probably a bit better in terms of production values, effects, and everything else, but I liked the story from the original more.

In fact, I think "Blade" is what paved the way for "X-Men" and the rest as it was the first really successful comic book-to-big screen project since the first couple of Batman movies.

I thought the only good part of Blade was the beginning. The ending sucked. Blade II just plain sucked and I actually walked out before it was over. I have only done that three times in my life. The other two movies I bailed on were Robin Hood with Kevin Costner and Dune.

-ld

Okay . . . comics from the big publishers like DC and Marvel, then. Blade definitely helped greenlight subsequent film projects based on Marvel properties such as X-Men, Spider-Man, and Daredevil.

You're the first person I've seen mention a connection of those films to the comic books than inspired them (outside of movie and comic book forums, of course). The mainstream public is never going to notice it.

Of course, you could argue that Blade was an obscure character . . . but at least he was in a Marvel book.

You're the first person I've seen mention a connection of those films to the comic books than inspired them (outside of movie and comic book forums, of course). The mainstream public is never going to notice it.

What can I say? I've been collecting comics since I was 8 years old. I own, oh, 15,000 of the damn things. I'll quit when I die.

What can I say? I've been collecting comics since I was 8 years old. I own, oh, 15,000 of the damn things. I'll quit when I die.

I have no idea how many I have. I know it's probably close that number. I did have a layoff in my collecting when I was in college and grad school (no time to read 'em), but I resumed after that. I've had to cut way, way back in quantity over the last few years because of increasing prices, though.

Reading comics makes you feel good. More people should do it.

You mean like Superman? :huh: I never did get comics..

Or, dare I say it, :o Howard the Duck?

Yeah! Like Superman.

That Howard the Duck movies was kinda creepy, I think. It gave me the heebie jeebies.

The Blade movies, on the other hand, have hot vampire chix (HVC).

Maybe we should start a section on Stupid Movies People Should Not Have Liked, But Did. I'll put Blade in that category. Fright Night, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, too.

Since we are on the vampire thing, ever wonder why the hero doesn't pack a hollow point with sawdust, seal it with glue, and then just shoot the suckers? Sounds like a good idea to me, I better get busy.

And why do the rules change for killing Vampires from movie to movie? Sometimes garlic and crosses are scoffed at, while other times they are effective. The government needs to establish some Hollywood guidelines here, so misinformation doesn't get out.

And why do the rules change for killing Vampires from movie to movie? Sometimes garlic and crosses are scoffed at, while other times they are effective. The government needs to establish some Hollywood guidelines here, so misinformation doesn't get out.

Part of that is different ideas and inventions by different writers.

Part of it is because they are so many different folk tales and legends from around the world. There are different kinds of vampires depending on where you are located!

I have solved this problem in the book I am writing. I spend a whole chapter discussing the "rules" of the world I've created. ;)

And why do the rules change for killing Vampires from movie to movie?  Sometimes garlic and crosses are scoffed at, while other times they are effective.  The government needs to establish some Hollywood guidelines here, so misinformation doesn't get out.

Part of that is different ideas and inventions by different writers.

Part of it is because they are so many different folk tales and legends from around the world. There are different kinds of vampires depending on where you are located!

I have solved this problem in the book I am writing. I spend a whole chapter discussing the "rules" of the world I've created. ;)

Rhino,

You need to read The River of The Dancing Gods series by Jack Chalker. It is great. There is a set of 'rules' that governs the world. Characters in the world naturally follow the rules. The rules say things like "Poison will taste good." and "The antidote will taste terrible." There are lots of references to different books and otherwise. The rules change as time passes because there is an administration that changes them. They are, by the time of the books' setting, more numerous and more confusing than the US Tax Code.

Liota

Jack Chalker has got to be the master of the formula series. I used to think the title belonged to Edgar Rice Burroughs but Chalker buries him. I love his work, well a lot of it, but sometimes he gets SOOOO sucked into sticking to "the formula" that I could almost just write the next chapter in the book instead of reading it. Still, his Well World series is incredible and worth a look.

-ld