Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited uspsa question

grapeape

I have a caspian 38 super that i use shooting limited steel competitians. I also have basically the same gun with a dot sight set up for open steel.

Reading the rules it says a gun must have a pruduction run of 500 units each year. Does that preclude a caspian from shooting in limited division?

I have a caspian 38 super that i use shooting limited steel competitians. I also have basically the same gun with a dot sight set up for open steel.

Reading the rules it says a gun must have a pruduction run of 500 units each year. Does that preclude a caspian from shooting in limited division?

I think the main problem is the caliber - it needs to be 40 caliber to shoot major PF.

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum and sport! The rule reads (Appemdix D-2):

"Any complete handgun or components with a minimum production of 500 units by a factory and available to the general public."

If your gun is made from a Caspian slide and frame, the odds are pretty good that they have produced more than 500 of those components. As long as your gun does not use some special prototype components, you should be good to go. But, as Kevin points out, you will be scored minor.

Later,

Chuck

ETA: Sorry Stuart, but I have been looking at the rules a lot lately :rolleyes:

Edited by ChuckS

you could shoot the 38 super limited gun in Limited..

rules state any handgun or component with a minimum production of 500 units by a factory and available to the general public.

From NROI ruling

What is meant by components, is like the kits that Caspian makes, in the beginning they never made a complete assembled gun, but offered all the components to have a gunsmith produce one, in fact back in 1993, it was because of Caspian kits that this language was put in when Limited was formed.

jeez Chuck..you beat me.

Edited by eerw

Your non-dot gun...as long as it doesn't have a comp or ports...is legal for Limited Division.

You can't be scored as Major power factor with it, because Limited requires 40 caliber or larger to make Major. But, don't let that stop you. Come out. Shoot the centers (where the points are the same) and have fun !!!

I appreciate the quick responses and interpretation of that rule.

I had the same interpretation but since thats what I wanted it to say, I was worried I was being influenced by my needs.

I realized it would be scored minor even if i put the major loads in it and I am fine with that.

I mostly shoot steel, so the USPSA competitions would just be for fun anyway. If it becomes more important to me, I guess I will just have to buy another gun. Which is what the wife is already worried about! :cheers:

Edited by grapeape

Of course, if you already have a dot, why not shoot Open?

I could shoot the open gun with open ammo and get the Major scoring advantage even. I realize this but just havent seemed to get the dot sight disease that most shooters seem to suffer from.

I enjoy the limited gun and conventional sights more. Perhaps because I am better with it.

I usually shoot the open steel competitions with the limited gun as well and usually place pretty well. I might do better with the comp and ported dot gun if I practiced with it more, but it is so fun beating most of the dot gun guys with open sights. :)

Also I would have to work up a load that met the major power factor and I havent done that yet.

Edited by grapeape

She should get her own hobby...like reloading...or gunsmithing. :)

I just chose to skip the wife part...

Here's how the voices in my head converse on this subject:

Jeff?

Yeah, Jeff. What?

Can I buy a new gun, Jeff?

Do you have enough money for it, Jeff?

Sure, Jeff, the fun-money account is full.

Then go for it, Jeff, you know you'll love it.

That's what I thought, Jeff. Thanks for your support.

No Prob, Buddy. Any time. BTW... Can I shoot it?

All you want, Jeff!

Thanks!

Sold...

Yes... I'm nuckin futs.