Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Slapping

fasteddy

can anybody share at what distance do you normally slapp the trigger for faster shooting and still maintaining good shot..cause with my current triggering technique I used to just Aim to good shot even at close target not too slow but I guess I am not get used to doing slapping the trigger..I observed other shooter shoot like quick sounding like " POP,POP" then at the end good score and time as well...

DVC

Fasteddy

Edited by fasteddy

I never slap the trigger.

Some of the top GM's do it all the time.

What we usually mean by "trigger slapping" might be different than what you are asking.

The guys I know that slap the trigger usually have their triggers set around 1.5#'s. I have played around with it, but I can't get it to work on handguns. Shotguns though- I always slap the trigger.

As long as you don't move the sights - it doesn't matter how you pull the trigger.

Thanks Jake, I tried practicing timing drill this AM at 5 to 8 meters with the 3 classic paper target I can do Draw at 1.20s with a split of 0.15 to 0.20 and youre right as long as you will not disturb the sight you will land 2 good shoot each time..my first few runs was A and a miss cause I realise I was not really paying attention at the dot movement and over gripping the gun causing me to have Trigger freeze..I raised this issue because I just want to hear from you guys if doing trigger slapping is much quicker than riding the trigger to feel the reset. anymore advise will be greatly appreciated.

DVC

I'm with Jake, how you press the trigger is not that important. .15 to.20 splits and safe 1.2 draws are plenty fast in this game. If you're looking to shave time I would worry more about other skills rather than focus on improving a few thousanth's of a second on your draw and split times.

I'm with Jake, how you press the trigger is not that important. .15 to.20 splits and safe 1.2 draws are plenty fast in this game. If you're looking to shave time I would worry more about other skills rather than focus on improving a few thousanth's of a second on your draw and split times.

Got your point boz1911, shoot at your speed and work out on other ways to shave time..hoping I can hear more from other shooters!

Edited by fasteddy

For the most part, you are either a trigger slapper, or you aren't. Shooters with better fine motor skills don't tend to slap, and gross motor skilled slap. But thats only a generalization. I wouldn't worry about it if you do or can't.

Interestingly, I was shooting dot drills yesterday and found on most two shot drills I would prep the first shot and slap the second, hits were the same either way.

For the most part, you are either a trigger slapper, or you aren't. Shooters with better fine motor skills don't tend to slap, and gross motor skilled slap. But thats only a generalization. I wouldn't worry about it if you do or can't.

I agree; I can't slap the trigger at all. Just can't do it and if I try I can pretty much guarantee I will miss, so my finger never leaves the surface of the trigger...even on really close stuff. But since I'm a bit of a sloth, I have plenty of time for my fine motor skills to help me prep.

Jakes post is catch all to the question. Do want works for you as long as the sights do not move while doing it!! Find what works for you.

Thanks guys for all the inputs.. I did a timing drill again yesterday 4 classic paper target low position..infront of the table about 3 meters..starting position shooter standing about 5 meters before the table and the gun on top of the table loaded ready to go on the signal short run and engage the target as they become visible. I made this as a speed shoot..few runs ive got few trigger freeze..but, after that I was able to run...1.85 start then transition time .35 split of .17 each time what a nice cadence with no trigger freeze.I did trigger reset then follow up shoot slapped technique..I like the cadence sound.

Dam how things change! I first started out as a slapper(everyone did in the early 80's) then trained myself cadents now people are turning toward slaping again? I think I'll stay with cadents.

Slapping and cadence have nothing to do with one another. "Slapping" is the opposite of "riding the trigger" (perhaps you could say "pulling"). Cadence is the pace of shots, typically used to describe an even occurence of shots (ie, consistent splits).

Thats a simple way of describing Slapping over Cadence Xre..nice one good to hear from you again.

My pleasure :) Its good to keep those terms straight, though - if someone starts talking about shooting with a cadence, meaning an even pace of shots, and someone else is thinking "opposite of slapping the trigger", the conversation is going to get really weird :lol:

Thats a simple way of describing Slapping over Cadence Xre..nice one good to hear from you again.

My pleasure :) Its good to keep those terms straight, though - if someone starts talking about shooting with a cadence, meaning an even pace of shots, and someone else is thinking "opposite of slapping the trigger", the conversation is going to get really weird :lol:

OK I stand corrected! But can you explain a "Slapper with a Cadence"? Is that possible?

OK I stand corrected! But can you explain a "Slapper with a Cadence"? Is that possible?

Absolutely ;) Why do you think someone who slaps the trigger can't shoot with a cadence? The technique used to manipulate the trigger is separate and distinct from the tempo at which the trigger is manipulated using that technique....

I can't find the link at the moment, but somewhere, there's super-slo-mo footage of shred shooting a 6-reload-6 drill. He's slapping the trigger. He has fast, even cadence. ;)

this is it:

There's even a little discussion of slapping in the comments. IIRC Bruce Gary or Ron Avery came by here one day and said "Pick the one you want to use most (slapping or pinning).. eventually you'll need to learn the other one anyway"

this is it:
There's even a little discussion of slapping in the comments. IIRC Bruce Gary or Ron Avery came by here one day and said "Pick the one you want to use most (slapping or pinning).. eventually you'll need to learn the other one anyway"

Shred,

Cool stuff..! executed well, just curious what distance are you to the target and was it a good hit..I like the slapping of your finger to the trigger..thats what I need to practice..well done!