Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SV Spare Parts

islandtime

I bought a used SV just over a month ago and the extractor broke Tuesday night. It had a normal extractor but I am looking to replace it with an AFTEC. When i took the gun apart I noticed that the firing pin stop was a bit loose so I will be replacing it as well. Since I am order some parts I thought it would be a good time to start getting together other spare parts as well so I have a few questions.

1. Will the STI square top firing pin stop fit the SV fine or should I order a couple of new ones from SV?

2. What are the stock recoil and mainspring weights on an SV. the guy I bought the gun from said it had a 14lb recoil spring but couldn't remember what the mainspring was. I intend to keep the 14lb recol since I like the way the gun shoots and was hoping to get the right mainsprng as well.

3. I am planning to get a complete spare trigger group (hammer, sear, trigger, disconnector, sear spring, and hammer strut). Would I be better off sending the gun off to a gunsmith and having them fit all these parts or can this be done at home?

4. Can the average person expect to correctly fit an ambi safety and slide stop? I've read the Brazos article on both and it seems to be reasonably easy.

5. Any reccomendations for a good replacement pin and spring kit? I noticed that Ed Brown has one for STI/SVI is this a good kit?

6. Did I miss anything?

I was shooting a Glock 35 that I bought new then setup as a limited gun. I replaced springs, guiderod, recoil springs, ect, and did a trigger job on it with no performance issues. The 1911/2011 world is new to me so I will be learning as I go on any gunsmithing. I would rather send the gun to a gunsmith at this point and know that I'll have a working gun once the parts are in it. That said, I am mechanically inclined and have always been able to follow well written instructions when working on cars, etc.

I bought a used SV just over a month ago and the extractor broke Tuesday night. It had a normal extractor but I am looking to replace it with an AFTEC. When i took the gun apart I noticed that the firing pin stop was a bit loose so I will be replacing it as well. Since I am order some parts I thought it would be a good time to start getting together other spare parts as well so I have a few questions.

1. Will the STI square top firing pin stop fit the SV fine or should I order a couple of new ones from SV?

2. What are the stock recoil and mainspring weights on an SV. the guy I bought the gun from said it had a 14lb recoil spring but couldn't remember what the mainspring was. I intend to keep the 14lb recol since I like the way the gun shoots and was hoping to get the right mainsprng as well.

3. I am planning to get a complete spare trigger group (hammer, sear, trigger, disconnector, sear spring, and hammer strut). Would I be better off sending the gun off to a gunsmith and having them fit all these parts or can this be done at home?

4. Can the average person expect to correctly fit an ambi safety and slide stop? I've read the Brazos article on both and it seems to be reasonably easy.

5. Any reccomendations for a good replacement pin and spring kit? I noticed that Ed Brown has one for STI/SVI is this a good kit?

6. Did I miss anything?

I was shooting a Glock 35 that I bought new then setup as a limited gun. I replaced springs, guiderod, recoil springs, ect, and did a trigger job on it with no performance issues. The 1911/2011 world is new to me so I will be learning as I go on any gunsmithing. I would rather send the gun to a gunsmith at this point and know that I'll have a working gun once the parts are in it. That said, I am mechanically inclined and have always been able to follow well written instructions when working on cars, etc.

Spare parts? Doesn't everybody carry a spare gun? :roflol:

Seriously, if you have trigger issues that you need a whole spare trigger kit with you I think you missed something during the routine maintenance part. I would have a spare extractor, FP stop, Ambi-safeties, slide stop, and maybe some springs.

As for the correct main spring I run a 17 but some run a 19. There is no "correct" one just the one you like the best and that ignites the primers the most reliably, I.E. all the time.

SV fire controls are excellent. I had a trigger job done by Kodiak Precision. It has lasted a long long time. So get it done right then don't screw with it. Try Derek at Millimium. There are others that are quite good also. But he might be close.

17lb mainspring. 14 or so in the recoil--I use the shock buffs from Dillon they last a long time. If you shot ammo with hard primers, then get a McLearn extened firing pin.

Try EGW for the firing pin stop.

HardCore by Ed Brown work very well as do their safeties. The stuff from SV is the best. I will use their stuff on my next gun.

Seriously, if you have trigger issues that you need a whole spare trigger kit with you I think you missed something during the routine maintenance part. I would have a spare extractor, FP stop, Ambi-safeties, slide stop, and maybe some springs.

That's good advice right there. I would add a firing pin and spring. I keep other parts as well, but my primary "fix" is the backup gun. If your mags are all set up the same I'd also throw in a spare mag spring/follower that's ready to go too...and even a spare basepad isn't a bad idea if you don't have a bunch of extra mags. R,

I was thinking the same but a couple of people mentioned having the trigger parts.

If your mags are all set up the same I'd also throw in a spare mag spring/follower that's ready to go too...and even a spare basepad isn't a bad idea if you don't have a bunch of extra mags. R,

I have 6 mags total but was still planning on the backup sprins/follower.

Looks like I will be ordering the following:

Ed Brown pin and spring kit

2 AFTEC extractors

2 firing pin stops

2 14lb recoil springs

2 17 mainsprings

2 Grams spring/follower kits

1 sear spring

1 firing pin and spring

1 ambi safety

1 slide stop

What about a spare ejector? Do the SV ejectors like they have on their site already have the notch for the pin?

PJB45 are you talking about the EGW oversize firing pin stop? I read on here that they are a pain to fit.

If you have a SV with the removable breechface I would add another breechface screw to the list. Remember you will have to cut some coils off a normal firing pin spring to fit the SV correctly.

I was thinking the same but a couple of people mentioned having the trigger parts.

If your mags are all set up the same I'd also throw in a spare mag spring/follower that's ready to go too...and even a spare basepad isn't a bad idea if you don't have a bunch of extra mags. R,

I have 6 mags total but was still planning on the backup sprins/follower.

Looks like I will be ordering the following:

Ed Brown pin and spring kit

2 AFTEC extractors

2 firing pin stops

2 14lb recoil springs

2 17 mainsprings

2 Grams spring/follower kits

1 sear spring

1 firing pin and spring

1 ambi safety

1 slide stop

What about a spare ejector? Do the SV ejectors like they have on their site already have the notch for the pin?

PJB45 are you talking about the EGW oversize firing pin stop? I read on here that they are a pain to fit.

I've never broken an ejector, but it wouldn't be a bad idea....not going to hurt anything and they're not too expensive.

I'd get a 19lb mainspring as well. Not all guns will be completely reliable with a 17lb spring....just depends on the weight of the hammer, the firing pin etc. All of my guns have 19lb mainsprings in them (Open, Limited and Single Stack).

I'd recommend ISMI springs, but there are folks who prefer Wolff. R,

Everyone, thanks for the help!

I'd recommend ISMI springs, but there are folks who prefer Wolff. R,

I have an ISMI recoil spring in my Glock and it has given me no problems. The firing pin, firing pin saftey and the trigger springs are all Wolff and have also been very reliable. That said I will go with ISMI.

z40acp, thanks for reminding me about the breechface screw.

Having these parts is a good thing, having them already fitted to the gun, test fired in the gun and ready to drop in when the time comes is a FANFREAKINTASTIC thing. Tune your extractor, get your ejector prepped, fit your firing pin stop, safetys and slide stop and test them in the gun to make sure things are going to run 100% then bag them up for safe keeping.

Joe W.

If i order the ejector from SVI is there much to the fitting? The ones in the picture on their site make it look like they are ready to go (looks exactly the same shape as the one in my gun).

80.jpg

Probably not much fitting involved to get them installed. Tuning them for the proper ejection angle is what might take a little more time. I think Bob's site has a good section on tuning ejectors if I remember correctly....it's worth a look. R,

I'd check the ejectors as the cutout in the main pin (or leg) was a bit on the tight side on mine when I got it.

To conclude it, fit it as well and you won't regret it when you need to replace it.

//Fredrik

If i order the ejector from SVI is there much to the fitting? The ones in the picture on their site make it look like they are ready to go (looks exactly the same shape as the one in my gun).

80.jpg

Probably not much fitting involved to get them installed. Tuning them for the proper ejection angle is what might take a little more time. I think Bob's site has a good section on tuning ejectors if I remember correctly....it's worth a look. R,

Get the new parts, and replace what is in your gun now. Plenty of time to make sure everything works. Keep the used parts as fitted spares. No question if they will run when you need them.

Edited by wide45

Get the new parts, and replace what is in your gun now. Plenty of time to make sure everything works. Keep the used parts as fitted spares. No question if they will run when you need them.

Very good advice. I hadn't thought about actually running the new part for any length of time other than a few test rounds, Thanks!

• 8 months later...

if you broke the extractor check that it does not hit the barrel when on battery.

The aftec you probably only need 1 and just spare springs. Again when fitted it should not hit the barrel.

Egw square fp stop seems to be the bomb.

the 17 pound ms i will choose ismi and forget it. it should last at least 2 years. Ditto with the recoil spring. replace every year. Try to get a 12.5 ismi and a 14 if your going to buy 2 so you can test both.

Lots of shooters like the 12.5 ismi

you can order a trigger kit from egw which has a koeinig hammer egw sear disconnector and colt sear spring.

Or get a tripple xcellerated hammer and sear from sv.

The strut i use a titanium strut from sv. Egw also makes a titanium strut.

The ejector does not seem to break just make sure it does not wiggle around when the slide assy is removed.

But why replace it? Is it broken?

Firing pin i use limcat ext. Spring i sill use ismi. just cut it since you have an ibf.

For the safety, i choose sv when i broke my brown.

Slide stop, seems to last forever. I use the oversized .20 of egw. They also produce .203 or so. Choose the .020 first and maybe after 50t or so rounds go to the .203.

Ibf screw is a must though i have yet to damage mine. Check for looseness every 500 or 1000 rounds or when you clean the fp channel. If its loose, remove, clean, red locktite.

The above are only my suggestions based on my experience with the sv pistol.

Good luck